MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

True, he started slow in the regular season and ended great, but that doesn't change the fact that he can't win in the post season. I felt bad for him to pitch the last 3 games this year on 3 days rest, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Plenty of great post season pitchers pitch on 3 days rest and win.

Plenty of great pitchers have bad 8 game stretches too.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A better homage to their Montreal days would be powder-blue road unis, with the old Expos "M" logo turned upside down into a "W." Comme

New Nationals jerseys.

ept_sports_mlb_experts-979702398-12.jpg

I love the road gray, but the blue with the flag is absolutely awful.

A better homage to their Montreal days would be powder-blue road unis, with the old Expos "M" logo turned upside down into a "W." Comme

Cubs close in on Peavy.

TEX exercises Blalock option for 2009 ($6.2 M) and will look to using him as a DH.

SD exercises 2009 option on Brian Giles ($9 M).

ARI looking at Mark Loretta.

BOS looking into Baldelli.

HOU re-signs LaTroy Hawkins ($3.5 M).

NYM interested in J.J. Putz.

STL interested in Holliday with talks going on.

Manny offer from LAD "isn't long enough" ($45 M/2 yrs.).

And Willie Randolph to become bench coach for MIL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=MLB

Jesus, could you imagine the joy of NY Post and Daily News headline writers if the Mets signed Putz.

as a Ranger fan Im kind of upset they picked up the option for Blalock, he is always hurt and he has nerve damage in his right (throwing) arm so playing in the field is probably out of the question for a whole season, even when healthy he hits like .260 and strikes out a ton, he played a little at first base last year but Texas has Chris Davis who is the future at first base and had a very solid rookie year, I would have rather used that money to get a pitcher

as a Ranger fan Im kind of upset they picked up the option for Blalock, he is always hurt and he has nerve damage in his right (throwing) arm so playing in the field is probably out of the question for a whole season, even when healthy he hits like .260 and strikes out a ton, he played a little at first base last year but Texas has Chris Davis who is the future at first base and had a very solid rookie year, I would have rather used that money to get a pitcher

They're looking to use Blalock mainly as a DH, and I'd assume he'll spell Davis at 1B when he does play the field as Davis can play 3B, as well. I'd also assume this puts TEX in a search for a competent 3B player, though. Blalock's avg. is closer to .275, too. And, he has a decent OBP despite a lot of strikeouts.

As he's played a limited role the past two seasons because of injuries TEX must believe his bat can stay lively for the better part of a season if his main focus is just hitting, which he's known to go on some nice tears with.

Yeah, but it's also the only way they can attract top level talent there until they start winning more. Teixeira is from Maryland so he may be more willing to sign there than a lot of other big name free agents would be, but I would have to think that he wouldn't take less than the Angels or Yankees might be offering.

I'm not sure how productive Teixeira would be on the Nats at least the next couple of years, they are a really bad ball club, I watched tex play just about everyday for about 5 years and he is a good player but not worth $20 mill per year, I need to hire Scott Boras to represent me as my agent when I have my review at work for a raise, he could probably get me a million per year

Tex is from MD but he is also a huge Don Mattingly fan, I could see him on the Yankees or Dodgers, As long as he doesnt resign with the Angels I dont care where he goes, I dont want to face him 15 times a year

SI.com reporting Matt Holliday to Oakland.

just read that, probably only a one year thing for the A's, Holliday is a free agent next winter and the A's probably wont be able to resign him

it's still unclear who will be in the deal in return to Colorado but Im assuming Huston Street will be, the Rockies will need a closer, Street is expendable for Oakland with how good of a year Brad Ziegler had in Oakland last year....he will probably get a shot at closer, or Joey Devine

Teixeira's "most similar through age 28" stats are pretty impressive. Borderline-HOF guys like Jim Thome (just in, I think) and Fred McGriff (just out).

He's also got a very wide skill set, and he's one of the better defensive first basemen in the game. He should age well.

It's a lot of money, but when you are the Nationals you have to do something like this.

Teixeira's "most similar through age 28" stats are pretty impressive. Borderline-HOF guys like Jim Thome (just in, I think) and Fred McGriff (just out).

I have a hard time thinking of Thome as a hall of famer, its the hall of fame not the hall of very good, I mean he will get in but playing in Jacobs Field and Citizen's Bank Park really helped his HR stats

I agree about McGriff who I really like but he will probably just miss out

He's also got a very wide skill set, and he's one of the better defensive first basemen in the game. He should age well.

It's a lot of money, but when you are the Nationals you have to do something like this.

Tex came up as a 3rd baseman and played some OF too, he is very athletic and will win a few gold gloves I bet, good ball player but Im not sure if he is worth 20 mill per....as much as I like Tex Im glad the Rangers traded him when they did, they got a kings ransom for him