Any opening act for Baltimore or Rochester?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I postulate that if they had played "Bury the Hatchet" in Charlotte, maybe some minds would have changed... but we'll never know, will we?

neh. not for me. even if they had played it, i wouldn't have noticed. i hit the lobby within the first few seconds in charlotte mostly because i felt an overwhelming depression coming on if i didn't get out of that darkened auditorium and had gone to my happy place at merriweather and was oblivious to what they played. :pirate

I enjoyed Low, possibly because I was still in the parking lot drinking beer while they were playing. From my experiences with the Retribution Gospel Choir, I think I would've enjoyed them less had I already been inside. In a slightly different setting, they'd probably be a band I'd enjoy live, and I do like some of their music, but they didn't seem to have the right energy level for a Wilco show, especially an outdoor one.

Exactly. No energy at all. I learned after the fact that one of the guys in Low is also in the Black Eyed Snakes, whom I enjoyed as the opener of the Duluth show in 2006.

Worst opener for me was: Better than Ezra, who opened for Wilco at Duke's end of the year shindig for undergrads in 2001. (I crashed the party--it was free!)

They were "Worse than Expected". The ball-cap clad frat boys all seemed to be into them, though. They left after BTE wrapped up their set, presumably to go vomit one last time for the year.

OK so back to the Flaming Lips (who are apparently the polar opposite of Low in a live setting)... I'm still holding out hope. Here's my logic: Two of the guys live nearby (at least I think Steven and Michael still live in Fredonia). Fredonia is the Flaming Lips home away from OKC. They haven't played any shows since the summer festival season, and they have a big New Years Eve extravaganza planned for Oklahoma City. The venue obviously got the info from SOMEWHERE that the lips were on the bill. Kliph may be deflecting to avoid undue attention from scalpers or fans or whoever.

On the other hand, the Flaming Lips are certainly a tough act to follow, and I don't know if even Wilco would want to be in that position. I will say that I haven't seen Wilco since '97, but from what I've seen on TV (Austin City Limits) and based on Kicking Television this lineup could give the Lips a run for their money. In any case, I am trying to keep my expectations in check... but if it does happen...

I love Low, but I understand the comments. The Wilco opening band I had to leave the room for (twice) were the two nights at Radio City Music Hall a few years ago -- Fiery Furnaces. Never have liked them.

I love Low, but I understand the comments. The Wilco opening band I had to leave the room for (twice) were the two nights at Radio City Music Hall a few years ago -- Fiery Furnaces. Never have liked them.

oh. Fiery Furnaces. bigshoulders likes them too. he's tried to get me on board with them (as with Low) and i'm still on the fence. I can take their album EP, but :| the others...he always tells me one day it will just click. glad i'm not the only one it hasn't clicked for yet.

[side note: i did enjoy their live show at the 9:30 club and would rank them higher than Low for an opening band]

I saw the Fiery Furnaces open for Wilco in Burlington in UV's prom dance gym and they rocked, one non stop rock show from them. I was amazed at how long they played with out stopping. It sounds like it could be annoying, but I found it energizing. The drummer at the time (don't know if he still playes with them) was channeling Keith Moon, playing air-fills and all. He was certainly legit, though. It was no act. However, I saw one night of the RCMH shows and they did not translate as well.

As for the Lips in Rochester, that would be a legendary show for these parts fer sure. But I doubt it happens. We'll see which local/regional band actually ends up opening.

As for the Lips in Rochester, that would be a legendary show for these parts fer sure. But I doubt it happens. We'll see which local/regional band actually ends up opening.

The Niche

I wonder if it would be worth swinging by the House of Guitars Saturday afternoon. It's only about a mile from the house, and I doubt Tweedy/Cline would be able to resist the temptation. I know it won't be an official in store appearance, but who knows.

Any ideas as to what time would be best?

Exactly. No energy at all. I learned after the fact that one of the guys in Low is also in the Black Eyed Snakes, whom I enjoyed as the opener of the Duluth show in 2006.

I think in the right atmosphere Low has an incredible energy. I saw them headline and it was incredible- during the quiet parts you could hear a pin drop in that theatre. It is quite possible they didn't have that sort of prowess as an opener. It's the same deal as when Wilco opens for Neil and seems less remarkable. An opening act has a tough line to tow: often folks are still filing in, usually the mix is not as complimentary. I think a lot of great bands give the wrong impression simply because they are opening. It seems a rare treat that someone is converted by an opener.

I wonder if it would be worth swinging by the House of Guitars Saturday afternoon. It's only about a mile from the house, and I doubt Tweedy/Cline would be able to resist the temptation. I know it won't be an official in store appearance, but who knows.

Any ideas as to what time would be best?

I miss the House of Guitars!!! I went to college in Rochester (RIT) and loved shopping at the HoG, but trying to find anything in their vinyl section is an exercise in futility, but I loved it anyway.

Kevin

I didn't believe it myself, but it's true.

Call 585.222.5000 and press option 4. Wait a bit. It sure sounds like Flaming Lips.

Edit: Can't find it on their site, though.....

Well, Kliph Scurlock, touring drummer for the Lips, confirmed on their forums that they are NOT playing with Wilco this Saturday:

http://flaminglips.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a...910522#25910522

:angry

My apologies for perpetuating a false rumor - sometime between 4PM and 8PM the above number changed the recording and there is NO mention of an opener at all. Looks like Kliph got through after all....

So, in an attempt at atonement, here are some more viciously false rumors for openers that almost no one will get:

The Skycoasters!!!!!!

Bahama Mama reunion!!!!!!

Chesterfield Kings!!!!!

I miss the House of Guitars!!! I went to college in Rochester (RIT) and loved shopping at the HoG, but trying to find anything in their vinyl section is an exercise in futility, but I loved it anyway.

Kevin

What amazes me, though, is you can go up to anyone who works there, ask about the most obscure title, and they'll casually walk over to some stack of boxes, throw a couple around, and viola!

The place def looks like a tornado's gone through, though.

My apologies for perpetuating a false rumor - sometime between 4PM and 8PM the above number changed the recording and there is NO mention of an opener at all. Looks like Kliph got through after all....

So, in an attempt at atonement, here are some more viciously false rumors for openers that almost no one will get:

The Skycoasters!!!!!!

Bahama Mama reunion!!!!!!

Chesterfield Kings!!!!!

What amazes me, though, is you can go up to anyone who works there, ask about the most obscure title, and they'll casually walk over to some stack of boxes, throw a couple around, and viola!

hahaha... yeah and up until a couple years ago you could have had the Chesterfield Kings themselves dig up the records for you! I miss seeing Greg down there. I used to drive 2 hours to come to the HOG and seeing "that freaky skinny dude with the 80's hair" was just part of the experience. They still have a huge stock of Immaculate Mary T-shirts (there's another one even fewer people will get).

True.

If I ever make it back up that way (I'm in NC now) I'll carve out an afternoon to spend there at the HoG. I don't remember asking for help, but I'm sure they can make sense of the chaos.

Kevin