I somehow missed the boat on E.

Any suggestions as to a good place to start?

Daisies of the Galaxy!!

I also really think Shootnany is accessable too. I just wouldn't start with Electro Shock Blues.....very depressing album. You really can't go wrong with any of their albums but those two are the most accessable. Do yourself a favor though and catch the Eels on tour if you can. Their shows are highly unpredictable and E is a hoot!

If you are looking for a top 10 songs to start on here is what I recommend

1. Mr. E's Beautiful Blues

2. Somebody Loves You

3. Flower

4. Mental

5. Saturday Morning

6. PS You Rock My World

7. Fresh Feeling

8. Railroad Man

9. It's a Motherfucker

10. Souljacker PT2

PS if you get the Eels at Town Hall dvd I am all over it as I was in the front row for the Encores....

:lol

I somehow missed the boat on E.

Any suggestions as to a good place to start?

Electro Shock Blues is his best and most consistent release, one of the ten greatest albums ever made in my humble opinion. The songs do deal with the death of his sister and his mother, who was dying of cancer at the time, but much like Aeroplane the record transcends it's dark subject matter and becomes something that's ultimately quite hopeful.

Daises and Blinking Lights are really good as well. Shootenany, Beautiful Freak (which contains his sort of "hit" Novocaine For the Soul) and Souljacker all have some good moments, but I'd start with Electro Shock move to Daises of the Galaxy and Blinking Lights and if you like those pick up the other three.

--Mike

My first real intro was Electro-Shock Blues. Some might say that it's too depressing an intro and that may be true, but if you wanna get into the band, you'd better get used to depressing. And I still think that it's their best album. Period.

I just put together a collection of the following songs for a friend.. I can put up the link later on tonight if you're interested. Also, 'Electro-Shock' is best presented in its entirety.

Mr E's Beautiful Blues

Flyswatter

Fresh Feeling

Love of The Loveless

Rock Hard Times

Saturday Morning

I Like Birds

It's A Motherfucker

Souljacker Part 1

Novocaine For The Soul

Trouble With Dreams

I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart

Dirty Girl

Last Stop (This Town)

(Hey Man) Now You're Really Livin'

Railroad Man

Things The Grandchildren Should Know

I would advise starting with something other than the Town Hall show. First off, it's a live album, and second, it's with strings. So all the songs are presented differently (obviously). My humble opinion is that you should start with the songs in their original permutation before venturing out to alterna-versions.

I started with Blinking Lights and worked backwards. Seemed to work for me. Shootenanny is great too.

I think any of Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, Daisies of the Galaxy, or Shootenanny! are good to start with.

As others mentioned, Electro-Shock Blues may be the best Eels album overall, but I find it to be the emotional low of their entire catalogue, so I am loathe to recommend it as the place to start. I also do not really recommend the Live with Strings stuff for starters; it's OK but I think the really layered, rich production of his studio work is not to be missed. (Maybe worth noting I got onto the Eels with Souljacker.)

PS You Rock My World is one of about four cover songs I like to play at shows; love love love me some Eels! Man just reading you guys' lists of favorite tracks is great. I have to say I love the upbeat Eels tunes when I'm down ("Goddamn right it's a beautiful day, uh-huh!!") .. and the downbeat Eels tunes are some of the most honest, least-self-pitying explorations of depression out there.

Guest Hollinger.

My recommendation would be start with Live At Town Hall... With Strings and work your way back to the studio stuff from there. So basically, the opposite of the guy above me. Helpful, right?

• 4 months later...

I suppose the best place to start would be the 'best of' package they put out last year. That gives a pretty good overview. Electro Shock Blues is the best album, although I am fond of Souljacker. The Live at Town Hall DVD is great aswell.

On a side note, my kids (two and four year old boys) totally love the Eels and jump about laughing whenever 'Hey Man, Now Your Really Living' or 'Last Stop This Town' comes on the i-pod.

Electro-Shock Blues is where I started.

And, although I adore that album, I have yet to delve any deeper.

Still, that is a brilliant record.

I think Beautiful Freak is a great place to begin. Everett's style is, for the most part, consistent across the records, so if you like the first one, you'll like the rest. Besides, the opening track, "Novocaine for the Soul," might be the perfect introduction to the Eels.

Everett released several earlier solo albums that are in a similar vein. I like them, but I would not recommend starting with those.

Electro-Shock Blues is where I started.

And, although I adore that album, I have yet to delve any deeper.

Still, that is a brilliant record.

Same here. I saw E as a guest at Largo last year, and that's what inspired me to buy Electro-Shock Blues. I'm looking forward to the new one.

PS if you get the Eels at Town Hall dvd I am all over it as I was in the front row for the Encores....

I was watching that DVD a couple of days ago. What was the cover song they preformed during the encore? (on the DVD they had to omit the audio for legal reasons.)

Prince "I Want To Be Your Man I think? I was at that show and it was aweomse! I am seen all over the encores in the front row! :thumbup

I kinda figured it was probably that Prince song as they've covered it in the past (one of my favorite Prince songs.) At least they managed to get a live version of it on the Useless Trinkets collection :).

That's cool that you got to see the show, it looked like a great one.

I kinda figured it was probably that Prince song as they've covered it in the past (one of my favorite Prince songs.) At least they managed to get a live version of it on the Useless Trinkets collection :).

That's cool that you got to see the show, it looked like a great one.

There's also a mp3 recording of that show floating around. With the song.

I think any of Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, Daisies of the Galaxy, or Shootenanny! are good to start with.

As others mentioned, Electro-Shock Blues may be the best Eels album overall, but I find it to be the emotional low of their entire catalogue.

I agree with this. Although this album has all of the personal turmoil surrounding it, and is fantastic, I would start elsewhere. My favorite of his albums is Daisies of the Galaxy. I would start there. Maybe a little less melancholy. Electro-Shock Blues is so sad, and really doesn't let up until PS You Rock My World. Daisies has an air of healing... if that makes sense. Good Luck. Great music. Great lyrics.