The Faces reunite!

I've never seen that before - pretty cool.

I think that is from a French music show. I can't recall the name of it at the moment. They often showed bands outside like that, or filmed from the back and side of the stage during a concert.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of clips are up on Youtube of their latest performance. I think it sounds okay.

I like their version of Debris, possibly my favorite Faces' tune. I do not have much music from the 60's/70's on my iPod, but Debris is there. I don't have much interest in acts from that era anymore, but this is a show I'd go see. And I don't think I'd miss Rod a bit. Might even like them better without him.

• 1 year later...

Had Me A Real Good Time

The Faces: Before, During, & After

- Andy Neil

I recently bought this book and just finished reading it. I think it is the first rock book I have bought in quiet a while. I'd say I learned some things I did not know. You don't get a very good feeling about Rod by the end of the book. I guess that is not surprising.

Mac recently posted on his website that the Faces are going to do some shows in the United States next year. Ron's son Jesse is now playing guitar in the band along side his father.

Although I don't have a Twittter account, I recently got an am invite from Mac to follow his Twitter account. Pretty cool.

You don't get a very good feeling about Rod by the end of the book. I guess that is not surprising.

For some reason I was under the impression he was pretty well liked. I need to read that book.

• 7 months later...

I thought there was Small Faces thread here, but I couldn't fine it - perhaps they were discussed in the Hall of Fame thread.

There is also a great Fairport Convention clip from the same show in the sidebar.

I found the below clip another board

Bouton Rouge Sessions - The Small Faces with P.P. Arnold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG0Zqo5zrg

• 8 months later...

So I'm working my way through the Faces story and found out that the dog "Seamus" featured in the song of the same name by Pink Floyd was actually owned by Steve Marriot. Apparently he can be heard on a small faces record as well. I love odd facts like that.

I'm in a huge Small faces/Faces phase right now.

The song is called The Universal.

That's it!  Thanks.

The book basically said it was still Steve Marriots favorite small faces song that he wrote although that's not a universal opinion.

It's funky sounding. He recorded the basic track by himself in the back yard of his house. Well, by himself with his dogs.

The only Small Faces albums (cds) I have are Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake and a "best of". Both of them don't sound that great. One of these days I hope to get them all - once I find releases that do not sound crappy.

My favorite Small Faces song is The Autumn Stone.

• Small Faces (1966)
  • From The Beginning (1967)
  • Small Faces (1967)
  • Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (1968)
  • The Autumn Stone (1969)

I'm hoping the Ogden's nut gone flake remaster bonus addition will appear under the x-mas tree this year although not sure how the sound is on it. All I have is the first album right now.

I have always been a bigger fan of the Faces.

Small Faces - The Darlings Of Wapping Wharf Launderette

Here's the question for Small Faces fans: Is it better to own the original Immediate albums or to invest in the splendid double-disc set, The Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette? The question is a tricky one, since Darlings contains all of their Immediate recordings, meaning all of Autumn Stone (or There Are But Four Small Faces, as it's known in its American incarnation), plus all of the landmark Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. Granted, Ogden's is divided cleanly in half, with the first side appearing on disc one and the second on disc two, which may irritate listeners who like to hear the concept album uninterrupted. Nevertheless, it's hard not to view Darlings as a real bargain, since it gathers all the singles, albums, B-sides, plus some outtakes and alternate mixes and versions from the group's most creative period. And, hearing them in this setting, it's hard not to be stunned by the depth of the group's songwriting and restless musicality, which holds its own with peers like the Kinks and the Who. So, the question may indeed be an easy one, after all — if you want to be stunned by the Small Faces' peak, there's no better place to turn.

I can't say I am very fond of the Ogden's narration parts. But - there are some great songs on that album. Song of A Baker, for example. One of Ronnie's Meher Baba inspired songs, I think.

Between Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane, Baba inspired some pretty good music.  Then again there was also "Don't worry, be happy".

• 2 months later...

Drummer, Keyboardist bridge gap between two historic bands

New interview with Ian, Ron, and Kenny. Not too much new stuff - except this (which is a dam shame):

GM: Universal just put out two double-discs …

IM: … of Small Faces stuff, I know. But Rhino’s disappeared or back to one person; I don’t know. It’s pathetic. They told us recently they’re not going to put out the albums which they’ve been sitting on for years, all remastered with bonus tracks and the like. Hell, the artwork’s done and everything. And it just sits there. Nothing. Don’t get me wrong. What’s happening with Small Faces is fantastic, but what’s happening with The Faces is a bit of a shame.