The Faces reunite!

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears Rod is saying it is going to happen (again) (from Billboard):

Rod Stewart, who told The Hollywood Reporter in May, "Me and Ronnie [Wood] were out plotting the Faces’ future," confirmed in a Dec. 2 interview on Boston's WZLX radio that the Faces, founded in 1965, would reunite as a live band after Wood's next tour with the Rolling Stones.

Said Stewart, "We're earmarking 2015," which is the 40th anniversary of the band's breakup.

It appears Rod is saying it is going to happen (again) (from Billboard):

I hope its true this time.  The Faces are just about the last great band from the 70s for which a reasonable reunion is possible (I know there are those who feel that without Ronnie Lane, its not the Faces, but I'll take four out of the five and still be happy) that I'm dying to see.

"The Facelift Tour,"  2015

Dammit, pay attention, Lammy!   (though if anyone needs a little help with his face - it's Wood or any of the Stones)

If they do put on a tour, hopefully they play theaters, not arenas - though that will probably be unlikely.

Wood is playing good these day, I would like to see him up on the stage pulling all the guitar duties - perhaps, then, his half-ass dance-only antics will be at a miniumium.

Rod Stewart has so utterly betrayed his talent that I don't know whether he is redeemable or not. Are they doing this to give Ian and Kenny a payday?

And Glenn Mattock on bass? Jebus freaking Rice.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they doing this to give Ian and Kenny a payday?

Apparently Ian doesn't want a payday.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/ian-mclagan-dismisses-any-chance-of-the-faces-reuniting-in-2015-news

“It’s interesting that Rod announces these things without talking to me or Kenney,” McLagan says. “Why would we fuck around with the Faces when we’ve got bigger fish to fry? We’ve done the Faces and he didn’t turn up.”

The Faces reformed for concerts and festival dates in 2010 and 2011, with Mick Hucknall as vocalist after Stewart declined to take part. “Rod says he’s keen to do it now, and I believe him,” McLagan adds. “But he’ll have to wait until 2016 because 2015 is The Small Faces’ year.”

I don't know for sure, but it sure appears like Rod has sabotaged the Faces reunions while repeatedly claiming to want to do it.  He's too busy doing his crappy versions of the standards and making a shit-ton of money, I guess.  Now he calls a reunion without taking to Mac and Kenny?  These seem like asshole-ish moves to me.

That boxset is almost 150 bucks. Just about all the Small Faces cds I have do not sound all that great.

I guess this was what Mac was talking about (from Billboard):

The Small Faces' 50th anniversary trumps a Faces reunion -- at least as far as keyboardist Ian McLagen is concerned.

Though Faces frontman Rod Stewart, who's been spelled by Simply Red's Mick Hucknall for the group's reunion shows since 2009 (including its 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction), recently said the Faces are "earmarking" a 2015 reunion, McLagan tells Billboard he and drummer Kenney Jones are focusing more on celebrating the golden anniversary of their previous band. 

"Kenney and I are planning on 2015," McLagen says. "What I want to do is play a few shows with Kenney and some special guests. I mean, there's plenty of fans of the Small Faces that we know of, and I want to see if they'll come out and play." 

He also wished someone had mentioned the idea of the Faces for 2015 to him.

"Well, it's just that nobody's talked to me about it," McLagen says. "I just read it in the paper. I don't want to slag (Stewart) off, but why don't you call me and Kenney? We don't have to call Rod or Ronnie (Wood) about the Small Faces, because we've only got one year to celebrate the 50th anniversary. We can't do it in 2016, and we're not gonna do it in 2014. The suggestion I read in the paper is we get together in 2015. Not acceptable! Why wouldn't he call me to ask if I'm fucking busy? I've got gigs. I'm a working musician. I work every day."

McLagen and Jones will actually start the Small Faces celebration on Jan. 27 with the release of the limited edition box set "Here Come the Nice -- The Immediate Years 1967-1969." The 3,000 signed copies spread 75 tracks, many previously unreleased, across its four discs, along with a 72-page hardback book that includes track-by-track annotation and testimonials from David Bowie, the Who's Pete Townshend, Robert Plant and others.

"The book is really amazing," McLagen notes, though he adds that he's not necessarily keen to sit down and listen to the music. "I heard some of it in the studio in London with Kenney; we spent a few hours going through the stuff, which was amazing. It sounds great. But to sit down and listen to the stuff that I've recorded, it's not really what I would choose to do -- do you know what I mean? It's good to hear how good it sounds, but to actually sit down and listen to one track after another, that's not really me."

While McLagen and Jones muster together their 2015 plans, the keyboardist is also planning for a busy 2015. He plans a spring release for his new studio album, "United States," which was recorded in the fall of 2012 but has been waiting for a label deal. He'll take his Bump Band on the road throughout the year and will also take part in an all-star Johnny Cash tribute tour that's currently being planned. He's also working on two books -- a memoir and a novel called "Fade To Black." He's also planning to revamp his web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenney weighs in (Billboard):

The Faces AND the Small Faces may well be active concerns in 2015 -- at least if drummer Kenney Jones has his way. Jones tells Billboard that a Faces reunion tour, with Rod Stewart fronting the group again, is indeed in the planning stages. 

"We've been talking; Woody's (guitarist Ron Wood) management and myself, we were talking to Rod's management," Jones says. 

Stewart made the news public last month, much to the chagrin of keyboardist Ian McLagan, who hadn't heard anything and responded derisively to Stewart's comment. "Mac didn't realize we were talking because it was in it's early stages," Jones explains. "But he understands full now. (Stewart) probably presumed everyone knew we were doing it, so there was nothing intentional."

Details are still being ironed out, but Jones says that the reunion "would be lovely to do, we've been talking about it (for) long enough. You've got to start talking about it about a year ahead of you're going to do something. The Faces never finished on a good note (in 1975), so it would be nice to finish on a good note, and that would be that." 

Stewart has been tough to pin down for the project. The group has played occasional shows since 2009 with Mick Hucknall singing, and illness kept Stewart from attending the Faces' 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. 

"He's been busy doing the things he's been creating -- Vegas and all the Songbook (albums)," Jones says. "I loved the Songbooks; a lot of people say it's not really rock 'n' roll or this or that, but they're the songs I grew up with, and they're great song. Why not go with them? I think he did a great job, but now he's discovered himself again. He's going back to his roots, a bit more rock 'n' roll, so this is a good time for (a Faces reunion)." 

Jones says Conrad Korsch, Stewart's regular bassist, will likely stand in for the late Ronnie Lane.

Jones, who along with McLagan was actively involved in compiling the upcoming Small Faces box set, "Here Come the Nice -- The Immediate Years 1967-1969," says discussions are also under way about also commemorating the 50th anniversary of that group's first hit single, "Watcha Gonna Do About It." Meanwhile, the drummer is continuing to work on a script for an animated version of the Small Faces' 1968 concept album "Odgens' Nut Gone Flake," which Jones says he's had in mind since the album was recorded.

"I fell in love with it straightaway, 'cause the lyrics tell the story," Jones recalls. "While we were writing it you got to know the characters in it -- at least I did. They all came alive to me, and I went up to everybody afterwards and said, 'This would make a great cartoon' -- I didn't know the word 'animation' -- and they just looked at me and carried on talking. But I've carried this idea with me through the Small Faces and everything I've done in my musical career. So I can't wait to get it out of my head and down on and on a film, finished, done."  

Jones says he's been through several iterations of a script, including fleshing out the album's characters
  • 4 weeks later...

This looks interesting but maybe not at $151 bucks.

51PCTfpo2gL._SY300_.jpg

In celebration of the Small Faces recent induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Charly Records are proud to present Here Come The Nice , a beautiful heavyweight deluxe box set compilation of the band s 1960 s career on Andrew Loog Oldham s pioneering Immediate Records label.

75-songs over 4CDs remastered from original analogue master tapes & studio multitracks.

Every worldwide hit single, A & B side plus EPs on 1CD.

Rare and previously unreleased material, unheard recording sessions from Olympic, IBC & Trident Studios, outtakes, early mixes, alternate versions & live material across 3CDs.

Artwork by Grammy winning designer Rachel Gutek. Sleeve notes by Mark Paytress (Mojo).

Curated & supervised by surviving band members Kenney Jones & Ian Mac McLagan.

The ultimate tribute to Swinging London s finest and best-loved pop heroes!

HARDBOUND COFFEE-TABLE BOOK:
Forward by Pete Townshend.
Introduction by Kenney & Mac.

72-pages lavishly illustrated. Over 90 classic, rare & previously unpublished photos & memorabilia.

Definitive sleeve notes include new & archive interviews.

Newly written contributions from Robert Plant, Paul Weller, David Bowie, Nick Mason, Peter Frampton, Chris Robinson (The Black Crowes), Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols), Chad Smith (Red Hot Chilli Peppers), Paul Stanley (Kiss) & many more.

Exclusive Gered Mankowitz interview on photographing Ogdens Nut Gone Flake .

Track-by-track illustrated guide to every song on the box set.

LYRIC BOOKLET
64-page fully illustrated song booklet with rare photos & memorabilia.

Complete lyrics transcribed & endorsed by band members for the first time ever.

RED, WHITE & BLUE COLOURED VINYL
Three replica 7-inch EPs of the rarest Small Faces vinyl originally released in 1967:

Small Faces album sampler excerpts from the Small Faces LP

Here Come The Nice 4-song French EP in picture sleeve

Itchycoo Park 4-song French EP in picture sleeve

REPLICA STUDIO ACETATE
Olympic Sound Studios one-off acetate pressing for Andrew Loog-Oldham of Mystery...

TWO LARGE POSTERS
Reproducing original posters for:
Tin Soldier single featuring photography by Gered Mankowitz
Newcastle City Hall live concert from 1968

PRESS KIT FOR OGDENS NUT GONE FLAKE
Rare 6-panel Immediate Records Press Kit from 1968.

DOUBLE-SIDED POSTCARDS
Five collector s edition postcards with rare photos of each Small Faces band member backed with memorabilia from the Immediate Records Archive.

FINE ART PRINTS
Two beautiful prints provided by Gered Mankowitz from his 1967 Itchycoo Park photo sessions.

SIGNED BY KENNEY & MAC
Newly signed certificates replicating an original Olympic Sound Studios Small Faces tape box

Apparently there was some strange deal where Immediate Records (Andrew Loog Oldhams label) stated they would not pay royalties and would destroy all the small faces Masters.  WTF?  They scoured the world and found various tapes they used to cobble this together.  Sounds like be sides, alternate takes, studio banter, all that kind of stuff.  I actually really want it.

I would like to have the cds, but I don't need all that other stuff. And as I have said before - most all of the Small Faces cds I have do not sound all that great.

Since there are no real master tapes that survived for those years I'm not sure we will ever have good remasters. What a tragedy.

• 3 months later...

Bump to see if Analogman has dug up any news about the Faces going on a tour.  2015?  I guess they have to wait for the Stones to finish touring this year.  I hope this really happens.

I think the last thing I read was that interview where Rod was talking about it. And then Ian came out and said he and Kenney were doing a "Small Faces tour" or something like that.