The Faces reunite!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock and Roll for sure

That is some good quality footage. I would like to see the whole show.

Interesting stage set-up - they are surrounded by amps in a half circle, and Mac's is back is to the band.

Hungercity.org:

Faces - Sounds For Saturday - BBC 26-10-71 - DVD

Broadcast 1st Jan 2010

BBC4 Freesat Digital-->Humax Foxsat HDR-->TS File USB to PC-->Video ReDo--> TMPGenc DVD Author3-->DVD Folder(unrecoded files)

Video : MPEG-2 5062kb/s 4:3 720x576 PAL

Audio : MP-2 256kb/s 2-Ch.

There seems to be various versions of that show out there. It may interesting to see a fresh transfer.

"Who from you is Rod Stewart?" Pretty funny....

You can tell that is after his solo album success - as he was being singled out there.

• 4 months later...

Rubbish:

The Faces reuniting with Mick Hucknall as new lead singer

Seventies rock legends The Faces are reuniting with Mick Hucknall as their new lead singer.

The Simply Red star will take over Rod Stewart's role alongside original members Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan. Former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock replaces Ronnie Lane, who died in 1997 of MS.

Hucknall was one of the guests who played at last September's one-night-only performance at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Wood, who later joined the Rolling Stones, said "the magic was still there" at that gig.

He added: "Playing with the boys again just felt right so we thought, 'Well, why not?' It's exciting to be on this path again and I hope that the Faces fans are excited as we are. I'm just really looking forward to seeing them this summer."

Jones added: "The timing is just right, we cannot wait to be back on stage playing to a live audience again."

Hucknall will call time on Simply Red after 25 years with a final tour later this year. He and the other Faces will join up for music and design festival Vintage At Goodwood, West Sussex, on August 13. They are also expected to go on tour.

The original band evolved from the Small Faces in 1969 when singer Steve Marriott left to form Humble Pie and Stewart stepped in. They split in 1975.

Try this instead:

Link to four Megaupload links (FLAC files)

Faces

John Peel Sunday Concert

Paris Cinema, London, England

May 13th 1971

PRE-FM Reel>CDRW>WAV>CDWAV>Archived CDR>WAV>FLAC

Track List:

Disc 1

1) You're My Girl (I Don't Want To Discuss It)

2) Love In Vain

3) Bad 'N' Ruin

4) It's All Over Now

5) Had Me A Real Good Time

6) (I Know) I'm Losing You

i think mick hucknall is perfect for the role! the whole, "reunion" thing is bullshit anyway for every band, always. especially when the heart of the band (ronnie lane - i mean, it really was HIS band anyway) is dead. i can't see him being any worse than the modern rod stewart doing it.

English newspaper.

Here's a video -

I think Moss was kidding...It does look like a rather odd line-up. I read that Slash may be involved, too, which would make it even more strange. I hope that it isn't the case, because I would like to see Wood just be the sole guitar player. Honestly I just want to see if he could pull it off.

I don't much about the Sex Pistol guy, but it would have been interesting if that got John Stirratt to play bass, he could have handled Lane's vocals and bass lines rather well, I think.

The whole thing seemed doomed from the beginning. Stewart definitely can't sing rock and roll anymore, so I don't see the point of the rest of the band returning as the Faces.

I knew that - I was just posting more news.

I think he can - but he is too busy doing cover songs. I am sure he does not want to share money with a bunch of his former bandmates, when he can pay a generic backing band a salary, and keep the rest for himself.

There is no way they can recreate the vibe - so why bother. They don't have anything else to do, and Ronnie Wood probably needs the money.

I knew that - I was just posting more news.

I think he can - but he is too busy doing cover songs. I am sure he does not want to share money with a bunch of his former bandmates, when he can pay a generic backing band a salary, and keep the rest for himself.

There is no way they can recreate the vibe - so why bother. They don't have anything else to do, and Ronnie Wood probably needs the money.

Wood definitely needs the money; the rest of the band probably wouldn't mind the money, either.

But I don't think Stewart can do a full (or a mini-)tour with the Faces. Stewart is one person who doesn't need the money, I think if he could pull it off, he would do it. I don't think it's a money thing. After his throat issues, Stewart hasn't done a "rock" show since 2001. (I guess he really hasn't done a "rock" show since at least 80's.)

Faces, With Simply Red's Mick Hucknall, Planning Tour

Declaring that "this is a band," Ian McLagan says the new incarnation of the Faces is planning to play much more than the just-announced Aug. 13 at the Vintage at Greenwood Festival in West Sussex, England.

"Frankly, I'd be happy to get the band on the road proper and get into the States, Japan, Australia, 'round Europe," the keyboardist, who resides in Austin, Texas, tells Billboard.com. "I want to play. It's good to do just one thing, but I want to get on the road."

Initial reports have indicated the group will play more festival dates this year with a full tour to follow in 2011, but McLagan says nothing is concrete yet.

This version of the Faces includes McLagan and drummer Kenney Jones, who co-founded the Small Faces in 1965, as well as guitarist Ron Wood, who joined when the group became the Faces in 1969. The lineup is fleshed out by Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock and Simply Red frontman Mick Hucknall, who's stepping in for the reluctant Rod Stewart.

McLagan says the lineup started rehearsing in March, after it became clear to he, Wood and Jones that Stewart -- who's currently touring to promote his 2009 "Soulbook" covers album -- had "lost interest" in working with the Faces. Hucknall was one of the singers who joined the Faces at a British Performing Rights Society benefit in November and, according to McLagen, "knocked us all out."

"Mick surprised us all by ripping through 'Stay With Me,' " McLagan recalls. "I didn't think he could sing like that; all I know about him is Simply Red, and I just thought he's more kind of a soul singer, which is part of what the Faces are, but I didn't think he could rock, and he certainly surprised us all. When we started rehearsing in earnest, that's when his true colors came out. He's not Simply Red; he's simply rock 'n' roll."

McLagan says Matlock was actually his "first choice" to be the Faces bassist when the group started talking about reuniting after issue the 2004 box set "Five Guys Walk Into a Bar..." He'd worked with Matlock in the late 70s new wave group Rich Kids and noticed at the time how much Matlock was influenced by the late Faces bassist Ronnie Lane. "In the middle of a song I'd hear a Ronnie Lane bass lick and I'd look over at him and smile. I just kept him in mind ever since then.

"When we've done this before it's been Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagen playing Faces songs. But with Glen it suddenly becomes the Faces because he's playing those very important Ronnie Lane bass parts."

McLagan says the Faces have hired a booking agent and are actively seeing other shows. He notes that the Rolling Stones will always exert a pull on the newly sober Wood -- although this year's promotion of the "Exile on Main Street" reissue has created a window for the Faces to work -- while Hucknall will occasionally have Simply Red responsibilities. But McLagan anticipates the Faces moving forward and was pleased to hear that even Stewart has made some positive noises, wishing the new lineup well during recent concerts in Great Britain.

"It certainly is a lot of fun," McLagan notes. "The great thing is the bunch of us, we're smiling at each other. We're blessed; it's a fucking band, and that's what I love. It's not just getting together to cash in and make a buck. We are the Faces."

Here is a video interview with Ronnie and Kenny from the BBC. Ronnie kinda blames Rod's manager for always making sure Stewart is schedule to do something when the Faces plan to get together.

"]Here is one from Rolling Stone.

After playing a one-off show with Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall last year, The Faces are gearing up for their first tour since breaking up in 1975. Their only gig on the books now is for August 18th in England, but Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan tells Rolling Stone many more are coming that month followed by a longer run from December to March. "And then we should play the world for fucks sake," he says. "I’ve been trying to make this happen since 1975!"

The main reason the reunion has taken so long was Rod Stewart’s reluctance to take a break from his solo career. In October 2008, he agreed to rehearse for one day with McLagan, drummer Kenny Jones and guitarist Ron Wood. "The bunch of us rehearsed for a few days — but we only had one day with Rod," says McLagan. "He came on the last day and played a bunch of songs. I was very pleasantly surprised by how great it went. He talked about doing one charity gig. I thought 'That’s nice. The Faces get back together to do a charity commitment for Rod? That ain’t right!' I have nothing against charity gigs, but I wanna make some money! I want to play some music and get out there and not wait another two years. We sent him a very friendly note and he declined. He’s busy doing his stuff and doesn’t want to do it. But Mick wants to do it. Ron, Kenny and I want to do it and we will!"

Last September, The Faces recruited Mick Hucknall to perform "Stay With Me" at a charity gig at London's Royal Albert Hall. "He knocked me out," says McLagan. "I turned to him and said 'nice job.' He said 'I can’t imagine doing that every night. I said 'Be careful what you wish for — or what you don’t wish for.'" The band rehearsed for a few days and also recruited Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock to sub in for the late Ronnie Lane. "He respect Ronnie’s lines," McLagan says. "It’s almost like having Ronnie there."

Booking a tour poses logistical problems for the group because of Wood’s commitments to the Rolling Stones and Hucknall’s commitments to Simply Red. But McLagan is sure they can pull off a tour of the states — including gigs in Chicago, New York and Los Angeles — and possibly write and record some new Faces material. "I think that would come as a natural progression," says McLagan. "I got loads of songs and they’d be very suited for The Faces. (Don't expect new songs to be performed live, however; "We're mostly going to do old rockers like 'Miss Judy's Farm and 'Stay with Me," McLagan says.)

McLagan also confirms Ron Wood’s recent claims in the UK press that he’s been sober for sixty days. "Ronnie had been struggling and quite frankly I think he was with the wrong girl for a while," says McLagan. "His girlfriend now is so encouraging and helpful to him and she’s right for him. I’m a drinker and after rehearsals me and Ronnie went out and I thought he was going to weaken. He said 'You can have a drink' and I said 'Not if you aren't.' He used the expression 'I think I’ve found my grace,' which I think says it all. We were drinking partners and now that’s gone, but he’s just as much fun without a drink."

The band is under no illusion that the fans aren’t going to miss Rod Stewart. "Yeah they’ll miss him — but he ain’t going to be there!" says McLagan. "It’s still The Faces. I just hope that people come with an open mind because one way or another they’re going to be surprised."

The guy can sing:

Hucknall will forever be railroaded to me by the great line at the end of the 24 Hour Party People when Tony Wilson sees God "it's a pity you didn't sign the Smiths, but you were right about Mick Hucknall his music is rubbish and he's a ginger."

He can sing - but this is not The Faces.

They should call the band Ronnie Wood's All Stars Featuring some Old British Dudes, and one of those Punk Rock assholes, and some other British dude.

He can sing - but this is not The Faces.

They should call the band Ronnie Wood's All Stars Featuring some Old British Dudes, and one of those Punk Rock assholes, and some other British dude.

I agree with this 100%. It's not even kind of the Faces.

i think mick hucknall is perfect for the role! the whole, "reunion" thing is bullshit anyway for every band, always. especially when the heart of the band (ronnie lane - i mean, it really was HIS band anyway) is dead. i can't see him being any worse than the modern rod stewart doing it.

Yup.

I don't think all reunions are bad, I just think it is fouled when some of the key players are gone - such as, the lead singer. It's pretty standard these days though. I am surprised they did not go find a Rod Stewart impersonator to do the job.

Has anybody heard Stewart talk about this reunion? He must have gave the rest of them his "blessing", though I don't know (legally) what he could do.

I don't think he ever says much about it.

• 1 month later...

I don't think he ever says much about it.

Hell, he ought to be calling Ron, Ian and Kenny up and beg them to have him. What he has done with his career is criminal.

His first four solo records are as good as any records recorded in the 70's.

• 5 weeks later...