The Faces reunite!

I guess you must be psychic:

Small Faces set Prompts McLagan To Mull Band's History, reunion

The proposed Faces reunion of McLagan, Wood, Jones and Stewart has been talked about for years. That’s something  the piano player is more willing to address.

“I’d love to do it. It’s what I’ve been trying to do for years. Let’s do it already. It looks like it’s more likely now than ever, but who knows? I’m up for it. Yes. The answer’s ‘Yes, yes and yes.’ Have I made myself clear?”

But who would play bass?

“There’s a lot of people who would like to play bass with us. Glen Matlock [sex Pistols], for one. That’s not a problem. Whoever it is, though, has to respect Ronnie Lane’s parts. It’s not like they’re coming in to play lead bass. The parts are already there. Same as my parts are there as the piano player. Ronnie Lane’s parts were so integral to the arrangements. He was a very melodic bass player. So any bass player who thinks he’s going to start soloing, or pop the bass, will get a thump in the ear from me!”

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's busy writing songs that Jagger/Richards will take credit for!

I wish they (Jagger/Richards (w/Wood) were writing music -- Wood's 2010 record was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Mac about his new album:

Next year, meanwhile, looks "very promising" for a Faces reunion, this time with Rod Stewart finally joining McLagan, Ron Wood and Kenney Jones.

"It looks like next year will be the charm," says McLagan, who's been playing occasional Faces dates with Wood, Jones and Mick Hucknall since 2009. "Rod apparently is keen and I'm as keen as ever. My door's always been open to that. To be fair, (Stewart) was sick when we were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I think this time he really means it. I'm smiling. I'm hoping. He talks very positively, and I'm happy to hear it."

• 6 months later...

Listening to 'Last Word' a weekly obituary BBC R4 podcast, Ian McLagan featured. Nice interview with Billy Bragg reminiscing about the time his band joined Billy on his 'Mermaid Avenue tour'. - there was a segment of California Stars played with IM on keyboards. Sounded very very nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It's finally coming out:

Rhino will release a You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything 1970-1975 next month, a new five-CD box set that collects newly remastered versions of the Faces’ four studio albums, complete with previously unreleased bonus tracks.

The set includes The First Step (1970), Long Player (1971), A Nod Is as Good as a Wink…to a Blind Horse (1971), and Ooh La La (1973), and the unreleased bonus tracks include outtakes, BBC sessions, live performances and rehearsals.

Even better, a fifth bonus disc gathers up nine essentials tracks that didn’t appear on proper albums, including the 1973 single Pool Hall Richard, a live performance of the Temptations’ I Wish It Would Rain (from the 1973 Reading Festival) and the studio version of their cover of Paul McCartney’s Maybe I’m Amazed.

A five-LP vinyl version of this box set will also be available.

You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything 1970-1975 is released on 28 August 2015.

First Step:
Behind The Sun (Outtake)
Mona - The Blues (Outtake)
Shake, Shudder, Shiver (BBC Session)
Flying (Take 3)
Nobody Knows (Take 2)

Longplayer:
Whole Lotta Woman (Outtake)
Tell Everyone (Take 1)
Sham-Mozzal (Instrumental - Outtake)
Too Much Woman (For A Henpecked Man) [Live - Fillmore East, New York 11/10/70]
Love In Vain (Live - Fillmore East, New York 11/10/70)

Nod/Wink:
10. Miss Judy's Farm (BBC Session)
11. Stay With Me (BBC Session)

Ooh La La:
Cindy Incidentally (BBC Session)
Borstal Boys (Rehearsal)
Silicone Grown (Rehearsal)
Glad And Sorry (Rehearsal)
Jealous Guy (Live - Reading Festival, Reading, UK 8/25/73)

• 4 weeks later...

finally...

“This year is the 40th anniversary since The Faces parted ways so it’s about time we got together for a jam! Being in The Faces back in the day was a whirlwind of madness but my God, it was beyond brilliant. We are pleased to be able to support Prostate Cancer UK.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/rock-n-horsepower-in-support-of-prostate-cancer-uk-tickets-17778864061

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the new box in the mail. I have to say Rhino or whoever really cheaped out - no liner notes, essays, or photos. There's just a thin paper sheet with the tracklist. They should have let Andrew Sandoval work on this boxset.

I won't get to hear it until tomorrow probably - so I don't know how the sound is compared to the other releases. 

I just noticed they have also re-named the first album. It is now called The First Step.

These discs definitely sound different than the old cds and even the previous boxset. I'd say there is more clarity in the instruments and in the mid-range of sound. Or something like that. 

Edited by Analogman
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Interview with Mac:

LE Show 145 

This edition of Life Elsewhere is dedicated to Ian “Mac” Maclagan, who died one year ago on December 3. Compiled from the many hours of a recording session, Mac described as a cozy fireside chat, via Skype, Norman B presents an intimate tribute to the famed keyboard player. Ian was well-loved for speaking his mind and his congenial personality, which is evident from the conversation, as he passionately recalls growing up in post-war London and becoming a rock star. His reminiscences include seeing The Rolling Stones in their early days, “It was Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and then no one else!” Mac announces. In listening to Ian McLagan‘s stories, you’ll hear why his contribution to popular music cannot be underestimated. Ian Maclagan was one-of-a-kind, he is sadly missed.