The Faces reunite!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see it, but he did play with Jeff Beck a while back. From what I have read, it was good.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I heard the same thing. A coworker who always seems to know the celeb-gossip said Rod was drunk off his ass at American Idol, and that was why he couldn't sing. If that's the case, it doesn't bode well for a Faces performance.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I heard the same thing. A coworker who always seems to know the celeb-gossip said Rod was drunk off his ass at American Idol, and that was why he couldn't sing. If that's the case, it doesn't bode well for a Faces performance.

I think a drunk Rod, bodes very well for Faces performance. I wouldn't have any other way. Perhaps they will build another bar for their stage. :lol

I think a drunk Rod, bodes very well for Faces performance. I wouldn't have any other way. Perhaps they will build another bar for their stage. :lol

In theory, I agee. Drunkeness was a major ingredient in the Faces persona. I'd rather they sound good than be drunk, though. Anyway, I'm not sure I agree with my coworker about the American Idol thing. It couuld just be that Rod is getting to the point where he no longer has a strong singing voice.

In theory, I agee. Drunkeness was a major ingredient in the Faces persona. I'd rather they sound good than be drunk, though. Anyway, I'm not sure I agree with my coworker about the American Idol thing. It couuld just be that Rod is getting to the point where he no longer has a strong singing voice.

The drunk thing was a bit of a joke on my part. This is one reunion, I would rather not see happening. Rod certainly does not need the money (I don't think) and I agree that his voice is not a strong as it once was, though recovering from cancer certainly would hinder any singer's voice. Ronnie Lane, for me, was a huge factor to the Faces, once he left the band, they seem to have lost it a bit. So if there is no Lane, I don't see a point of a reunion.

I wouldn't mind Mac hooking up with Ronnie Wood and Kenny Jones and doing some gigs. Chris Robinson is busy with the Crowes these days, but perhaps they can get him to do a few gigs with them. As far a bass player, I don't know who can fill in???

This being all said, if they do all decide to get together, I would probably see it.

This being all said, if they do all decide to get together, I would probably see it.

I'd probably go, too.

I've never seen Rod, or any of the Faces except for Ronnie with the Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour. I remember when I was at the first Lollapalooza show (in '91, I think) there were ads for an upcoming Rod Stewart show for $9. That was during his pink blazer and lime green pants/Miami Vice phase. I sort of regret not going to that show.

• 4 months later...

Ian McLagan.com

There will be a Faces reunion on October 25th.

Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan

are going to play the PRS Benevolent Fund show

at the Royal Albert Hall with Bill Wyman on bass.

It's not likely that Rod will join us for this fabulous

event, but... Never Say Never.

The rehearsals in November were a lot of fun,

but nothing was recorded, so there's no album,

and no tour is being planned at the present time

'good boys... ...when they're asleep', an album I

produced in 1999 has been re-released in the UK,

in lieu of the four re-mastered albums being released,

which could happen any time this century.

And if you read The Sun, that's your problem

It's all bollocks listen to the music

I heard Rod Stewart sing on some TV show recently. It may have even been American Idol, but I can't remember. I do remember though that his voice was totally shot. Maybe that was a one-time thing. Or maybe karma is finally paying him back for singing douche tunes for 30 years.

If he's too old or whatever to really bring it, I hope a real Faces reunion doesn't happen. Let him keep singing standards (poorly).

He just put this out recently: The Rod Stewart Sessions. OR maybe we should say the record company put this out recently. There are some good tracks on there, but it looks better than it is. The take of Maggie May on the first disc for example, is just him making up words over the backing track. I was pretty excited when I saw that, thinking it would be some sort of jam of the song or something, but it is not. The version of You're In My Heart [The Final Acclaim] [Acoustic Version]is cool though, as it does not have that annoying violin in the background.

No, not that sort of deal.

Rod Stewart is hoping his upcoming "Soulbook" album may launch a series similar to his multi-platinum "The Great American Songbook" series earlier this decade.

"Oh, I'd love it to. That would be just amazing, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch, as they say," Stewart tells Billboard.com. "There's a hell of a lot of material left over, so if ('Soulbook') is a success, I will definitely do a follow-up. It's getting some very nice things coming out about it but, once again, I don't want to push it or jinx it."

Stewart recorded four "...Songbook" albums, all of which sold platinum or better and one of which, "Stardust: The Great American Songbook Volume III," debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and won a Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album in 2005. "Soulbook," meanwhile, finds Stewart covering 13 R&B favorites and collaborating with Stevie Wonder ("My Cherie Amour"), Smokey Robinson ("Tracks of My Tears"), Mary J. Blige (the Stylistics' "You Make Me Feel Brand New") and Jennifer Hudson (Jerry Butler and Betty Everett's "Let It Be Me").

"This is the music I sort of based myself on," Stewart explains. "I tried to sound like Sam Cooke and Otis (Redding) when I was in my early teens, struggling. I wasn't sure if I was going to make singing my career or what I was going to do, and they just had an immediate, profound impact on my life. They helped me turn a corner, as it were."

"Soulbook" was produced by "...Songbook" collaborator Steve Tyrell and Steve Jordan (John Mayer, Keith Richards), who recruited an all-star cast of musicians for the tracks such as Motown veterans Bob Babbitt, George Bohannen and Ray Parker, Jr., Memphis heavyweights Willy Mitchell and Wayne Jackson, Rolling Stones bassist Darryl Jones, Toto's David Paich and session aces Waddy Wachtel, Leland Sklar, Greg Phillinganes, Tom Scott, Ricky Lawson and others. Stewart estimates that he recorded 29 tracks, and some of the "leftovers" that could land on a second volume include Ben E. King's "Spanish Harlem," the Drifters' "Up On the Roof," "Sunny" and Don Covay's "See Saw" and "Mercy Mercy."

Stewart is "just in the middle of planning touring" in support of "Soulbook," with dates expected for 2010.

Meanwhile, Stewart says that commitments to promote "Soulbook" are also keeping him from rejoining the Faces for an Oct. 25 fundraiser for the Performing Rights Society's Music Members' Benevolent Fund at London's Royal Albert Hall, though he applauded the choice of Paul Rodgers to sing in his stead. As for any other Faces reunions, Stewart says there's "nothing concrete yet" and anything will be dependent on his schedule as well as the Rolling Stones' plans for guitarist Ron Wood.

• 1 month later...

Mac's brief note

On October 25th Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan

played the PRS Benevolent Fund show at the Royal Albert Hall

with Bill Wyman on bass, Mick Hucknall & Paul Carrack

on vocals, and Andy Fairweather-Low on vocals, guitar

and mandolin. We all had a right royal good time!

Thanks to everyone who showed up at the

gig, and to all who sent their best wishes.

Here's to doing more.... Faces Forever!

News when there is some!

Simply Rod? Faces May Tap Mick Hucknall For Stewart-less Tour

The Faces appear ready to play live in 2010, with or without Rod Stewart.

After performing with guests at an Oct. 25 show at London's Royal Albert Hall for the British Performing Rights Society's Music Members' Benevolent Fund, the Faces' other three surviving members -- guitarist Ron Wood, keyboardist Ian McLagan and drummer Kenney Jones -- are "seriously talking about touring" in the spring, McLagan tells Billboard.com.

"If we don't do it very soon, one of us is gonna check out," McLagan says. "I'm 64, for chrissakes! We've been waiting and waiting for Rod to say yes; now he's finally said no. He's busy doing other shit. So we're gonna do it."

Stewart is planning to promote his latest album, "Soulbook," with his own touring in 2010. McLagan notes that "it would be much better to have (Stewart) with us" but says that he's "open either way. I just want to play."

The London charity show, at which former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman filled in for the late Ronnie Lane and guest vocalists included Simply Red's Mick Hucknall, Paul Carrack and Andy Fairweather-Low, provided a model for the kind of show the Faces could do. "I think it's more exciting, actually, with different singers, different bass players, maybe some other guests, another guitarist or whatever," McLagan says. "(Saxophonist) Bobby Keys would probably sit in. It's more adventurous. It won't be the same old shit."

Wyman, who does not like to fly, is highly unlikely to be part of the tour. McLagan says his first choice on bass would be original Sex Pistols member Glenn Matlock, who the keyboardist says "started playing bass because of Ronnie Lane. He knows all his licks and really appreciates him as a bass player." As for Wood's idea earlier in the year of using the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea -- who subsequently denied being part of a Faces reunion -- McLagan says that, "I like Flea. I don't necessarily think he's a good replacement for Ronnie, but if he wants to do it we should talk about it."

McLagan says he, Wood and Jones are also likely to ask Hucknall if he wants to be part of the project but expects to approach other singers as well. "There's plenty of things for people to sing in the set," he notes. "There's plenty of bass players. I think we can go in several different directions at once. The world's our oyster here; it will still be Ronnie, Kenney and me. We're just steaming right ahead."

I would have drafted Chris Farlowe.

• 1 month later...

The Faces "Cindy incidentally" Dutch Television Pop Gala 1973

In 2009 discovered tapes of the first Dutch Television Pop Gala in 1973. The Faces with lead singer Rod Stewart, performing the hit 'Cindy incidentally'.

The Faces performing 'Cindy incidentally'.

Hungercity.org:

Faces - Sounds For Saturday - BBC 26-10-71 - DVD

Broadcast 1st Jan 2010

BBC4 Freesat Digital-->Humax Foxsat HDR-->TS File USB to PC-->Video ReDo--> TMPGenc DVD Author3-->DVD Folder(unrecoded files)

Video : MPEG-2 5062kb/s 4:3 720x576 PAL

Audio : MP-2 256kb/s 2-Ch.

Chapters :

1. BBC Intro

2. Three Button Hand Me Down

3. Maybe I'm Amazed

4. Too Much Woman

5. Miss Judy's Farm

6. Love In Vain

7. Stay With Me

8. (I Know) I'm Losing You

Total Time : 44:20

*Notes

a) The programme was broadcast in 16:9 aspect ratio, as is most of the BBC older material these days.

By comparing to two other versions I have, It was plain to see that the BBC did not crop the picture,

only expanded it to fit widescreen TV, therefore it was easy to switch it back to the original 4:3 aspect.

B) This is an upgrade compared to 1) The Koolkat (RIP) version which was sourced from the Japanese "Rock Masters"

bootleg DVD, which itself was sourced from the Wow Wow channel with

japanese subtitles

2) The VHI Classic version - with a TV Pg logo intermittantly appearing in

the top left hand corner and the VH1 Classic logo in the bottom right hand corner

As previously noted, this is one of the best ever in concert performances from the 70's that the BBC recorded and we

should be thankful that it still survives in the BBC library.

The Faces were a good time band who just rocked out in their own way until Rod struck the big time. They left an enduring musical legacy and their music still sounds fresh today

What price a "Faces" reunion - even without Ronnie Lane? - We'd all love to see it!