Halifax 11/29/08

On at 8:05

You Are My Face

War On War

Handshake Drugs

California Stars (Jeff completely forgets the second verse lyrics)

Jesus etc

Impossible Germany

Via Chicago

Hate It Here

Walken

Man Who Loves You

Off at 8:55

Order of the set looks a little off now that I see it written. Great show, Neil played the same set from the first leg of the tour.

That's about what I was expecting, both in terms of length and set list. I'm guessing they may alternate a few songs--maybe War on War for Pot Kettle Black, Heavy Metal Drummer, or Shot In the Arm and California Stars for another Woody Guthrie song--but this is probably close to the set list we'll see for the whole tour. Sort of the Wilco "greatest hits" package, but they're all great songs and will probably translate well to the larger space.

I've been buried in work lately. How many hardcore Wilco fans are showing up to these shows? I still can't stomach the idea of a 50-min set...polite applause... no encores.

I wasn't really sure how to judge the band's attitude during the show. Jeff said something at the end of the show like "we have one more song and then you'll get to see who you came here for." I was about 20 feet back on the floor so it was hard to tell how the crowd was really reacting. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the first lines of "via chicago" were a little stunning to alot of people around me. It was great to see them and I hope they come back again.

I wasn't really sure how to judge the band's attitude during the show. Jeff said something at the end of the show like "we have one more song and then you'll get to see who you came here for." I was about 20 feet back on the floor so it was hard to tell how the crowd was really reacting. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the first lines of "via chicago" were a little stunning to alot of people around me. It was great to see them and I hope they come back again.

i was actually very impressed with the crowd, at the end of wilcos set the place was damn near full, which hardly happens at the metro center for the few concerts i've been to.......i thought they definitely should have closed with spiders to get everyone wound up, i thought that would have been perfect

on the other hand, it was damn near embarrassing to see the entire upper and lower bowl sitting when the lights came on for rockin' in the free world

Actually, Tweedy said "we have two more songs then we'll get to see who we're all here for"

I was one of the people there more to see Wilco than Neil Young, and I initially felt a little bad for our guys. Short set... no encore.... enthusiastic applause, but nowhere near what they are used to. The merchandise table had just 2 Wilco t-shirts and a bag. There wasn't even a poster with Wilco's name on it. Even The Coast barely mentioned them. Last time they were here they were on the front page of the The Coast with a 3 page article inside.

But then I realized these guys are professionals who have been at this a long time. Surely, when they agreed to this tour they had an understanding of playing to a group outside of their core fanbase and the reaction to expect. This tour is still a great opportunity to showcase their talent to a wider group. I'd expect they have dealt with similar issues when they have recently played festivals as well.

I thought the setlist was a great sample for those who hadn't heard or seen them before...almost like it was taken from the list of their top iTunes downloads. (and I don't mean that in a negative way at all) I was really hoping though that they would have played at least one of the new songs they are working on.

Yes, it wasn't as great as a full "Wilco show", but they did a great job and it was still lots of fun. Great to have them here and I hope they come back real soon...as headliners!

s.

Since no one has mentioned it I'll assume there was no Wilco guest spots in Neil's set. I would think Nels would be kick ass on some of NY's stuff.

Surely, when they agreed to this tour they had an understanding of playing to a group outside of their core fanbase and the reaction to expect. This tour is still a great opportunity to showcase their talent to a wider group. I'd expect they have dealt with similar issues when they have recently played festivals as well.

I imagine this might be just the kind of challenge they would enjoy. It shouldn't be too hard for Wilco to win over Neil Young fans, though.

I would have loved to be there. Halifax is one of my favourite places on the planet. Great city. Great people.

Since no one has mentioned it I'll assume there was no Wilco guest spots in Neil's set. I would think Nels would be kick ass on some of NY's stuff.

Dear Santa,

I've been very good this year. All I want for Christmas is to see Nels play with Neil Young in Philly. I promise to leave you cookies and milk (or maybe even a Mojo) on Christmas Eve if you make this happen.

Your friend,

Three dollars and 63 cents

As cool as that might seem, I just can't picture Neil sharing a stage with a guitarist of Nels' caliber. (I bet they could do a killer Coltrane inspired jam, though.)

Just imagine Old Black and Nels' guitar in a dueling scream-fest on Rockin' - oh yeah. :worship

The show was great, but oh man, what a tease! 50 mins was just NOT enough. Neil did make up for it though. Here are a few pics for those who couldn't make it. Enjoy :)

The crowd for our boys

P1040461.jpg

Assload of gear

P1040269.jpg

All of 'em...as usual Glen is hidden behind his drums

P1040309.jpg

P1040456.jpg

Stickin' it

P1040330.jpg

is this the first time in years that they didnt play Shot in the arm?

residency night 5, at least.

wow! seeing those pix somewhat realized my excitement for the forthcoming toronto shows, the fact that wilco will actually be playing..and then so will neil! i've been somewhat dreading the travel, but i'm hoping it will all be worth it. i've already seen neil 3 times on this tour, so i'm really hoping that he'll find inspiration to change his set a bit, but maybe i should look at it as wilco shows with bonus neil, ha ha. was really hoping for some brand new wilco songs in these sets, though, so we'll see what happens!

wow, i hope a lot. fuck.

All those poor unexpecting folks who came to hear "Down By the River."

Remind me not to post on the internet early in the morning with a hangover, there's a good chance it won't come out the way you want it to. I think my point was that I felt the delivery, timing and mood of the song at that time carried alot of weight. That's meant to be taken in a good way. The show was incredible and I think the band won over alot of people who may not have been familiar with them up to that point. I'm sure that will probably continue to happen throughout the tour.

I was about 25 "rows" back on the GA floor and from where I was standing Wilco seemed to get a really good reception from the crowd. Lots of fan reactions after a stellar guitar solo or a Tweedy lyric flub ... they had the audiences attention and held it through their entire set. I'll second the fact that they definitely won over some new fans with their short but sweet performance.