The Inauguration

I am very tempted by the Big Shoulders Ball. :yes

My friend Barb has stage-managed this whole trip for me, from booking rooms a year ago (she had faith from the get-go!), to scoring a standing ticket to the Big Event for me. So if she wants to go to the BSB, we're going. But if she wants me to stay in and watch The Notebook on pay-per-view with her, I'll do that. I'm pretty sure she won't make me do that, though. :lol

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really_who_are_they_again.jpg

OK standing in the freezing cold for hours upon hours, with a lot of other people who feel as you do (soul mates really), because the event is so wonderful and unique....what kinda folks would do that?

I am very tempted by the Big Shoulders Ball. :yes

My friend Barb has stage-managed this whole trip for me, from booking rooms a year ago (she had faith from the get-go!), to scoring a standing ticket to the Big Event for me. So if she wants to go to the BSB, we're going. But if she wants me to stay in and watch The Notebook on pay-per-view with her, I'll do that. I'm pretty sure she won't make me do that, though. :lol

you're coming to town too??!

http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/initial_...memorial_event/

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 02:15pm BY Amy Hamblin

Initial Talent Line-up Released for Lincoln Memorial Event

We just sent out this press release, announcing the initial talent line-up for the welcome event at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, January 18th:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) is pleased to announce the producers and initial talent lineup for WE ARE ONE: THE OBAMA INAUGURAL CELEBRATION AT THE LINCOLN MEMORIAL, the Opening Celebration for the 56th Presidential Inaugural, to be presented exclusively by HBO on Sunday, January 18 (7:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT). The event will be free and open to the public, kicking off the most open and accessible Inauguration in history.

The special will be executive produced by George Stevens, Jr. (The Kennedy Center Honors), and produced by Don Mischer (Olympic Ceremonies) who will also direct the special, and Michael Stevens (The American Film Institute Salutes) who is also writing the special, and will be a production of The Stevens Company in association with Don Mischer Productions.

Musical performers scheduled for the event include Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher Raymond IV, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, will.i.am, and Stevie Wonder. Among those reading historical passages will be Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington. The Rt. Reverend V. Gene Robinson will give the invocation. Rob Mathes will be the music director and arranger for the backing band, which will support all of the artists. Additional performers will be announced as they are confirmed.

It does say that "additional performers will be announced", so I'd guess they're still a possibility. I don't think Wilco is even going to be in the vicinity, though. :ohwell

So if I'm reading this right, it's a two-hour event, with at least 22 performers. That gives everybody 5 minutes, not counting transition time between acts. Also, they keep saying "afternoon" event, in the schedule. Does that mean this happens earlier, but is being shown on HBO at 7:00pm? Which would allow for some (quick) editing on their part, to get it in at two hours...

I would just like to know when to show up!

thanks for posting the list of performersd go go, i've been keeping an eye on the web for days now for this. still haven't seen anything on the time, but a friend told me yesterday it would be 1:30pm (she's volunteering on inauguration day, so that might actually be a reliable rumor).

as for the HBO limiting it to cable only, i'm pretty sure this time around HBO is making it available for free for stations to pick up and air so no one is shut out from enjoying it.

Moby is also doing an all night stint at the 9:30club on Saturday night (if that hasn't been mentioned yet).

and from what i've heard no wilco during the festivities.

a friend told me yesterday it would be 1:30pm (she's volunteering on inauguration day, so that might actually be a reliable rumor).

as for the HBO limiting it to cable only, i'm pretty sure this time around HBO is making it available for free for stations to pick up and air so no one is shut out from enjoying it.

Good info, thanks!

My understanding is that HBO is making this available to cable/satellite customers whose providers carry HBO, whether or not the customer subscribes (like they would with a free-weekend thing). It would make sense if the feed was also provided to other stations (PBS, maybe?), but I'm not sure how that actually works.

Another article - from Billboard.com:

Bono, Bruce, Beyonce To Play Inaugural Concert

January 12, 2009 03:42 PM ET

Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.

Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, Bono and more than a dozen other music stars will kick off Barack Obama's presidential inaugural festivities by performing at the opening celebration at Washington D.C.'s Lincoln Memorial on Jan. 18. The free event, which is open to the public, will also be broadcast on HBO.

Nineteen artists from across genres, including Mary J. Blige, Garth Brooks, Herbie Hancock, Usher, Shakira, and Sheryl Crow, are scheduled to appear at We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial. Queen Latifah, along with Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III and Denzel Washington, will give historical readings at the event.

The We Are One opening celebration opens a four-day schedule of Inaugural events that will include 10 official Inaugural Balls, as well as an Inauguration-Day-eve youth concert at the Verizon Center.

A number of other music events celebrating Obama's Inauguration are being planned to take place around Washington D.C. as well, including the Beastie Boys and Sheryl Crow headlining a "Hey, America Feels Kinda Cool Again" event on Jan. 19 at the 9:30 club; WAR and Marc Anthony appearing at the Latino Inaugural Gala at Union Station on Jan. 18; Jay-Z Jan. 19 at the Warner Theatre; and Bela Fleck and Wynton Marsalis performing at CNN's Inaugural event on Jan. 19 at the Kennedy Center.

Here is the initial music lineup for "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial":

Beyonce

Mary J. Blige

Bono

Garth Brooks

Sheryl Crow

Renee Fleming

Josh Groban

Herbie Hancock

Heather Headley

John Legend

Jennifer Nettles

John Mellencamp

Usher Raymond IV

Shakira

Bruce Springsteen

James Taylor

will.i.am

Stevie Wonder

There are 240,000 standing-room tickets being given out for the swearing-in, and 5 checkpoints. The gates open at 8:00am, and the musical portion of the program starts at 10:00. If my math is right, that means that each checkpoint would have to process 400 people per minute to get everyone in before the musical program starts; or, 200 per minute just to get everyone in before the actual oath-taking at noon. How many patters-down can they possibly have at each checkpoint, that they think they're going to be able to accomplish this?

:brow

Ladies, this e-mail I got today may be of interest to you.

Sheldeez Beauty Salon is located at 1110 Elden St., Herndon, VA 20170. (703)742-8977. Approximately twenty miles west of downtown Washington, DC. Conveniently located near The Dulles toll road and buses that go to the DC Metro Rail.

If you live, work, or will be in the Washington, DC area for any of the Innauguration activities please make an appointment to come by Sheldeez. In observance of this historic time in our nation's history, if you make a new appointment between now and January 20th you will receive 20% off. Simply inform the person making the appointment that you are responding to this e-mail and bring it with you at checkout to receive your 20% off. This includes all services. See our YouTube ad here.

In addition, if you ask we will map out a route for you to the Washington Mall by car or public transportation and print it out for you. We will also be able to suggest area social activities. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sheldeez Management

http://sheldeez.com

(703)742-8977

How many patters-down can they possibly have at each checkpoint, that they think they're going to be able to accomplish this?

:brow

oyi! they've done this before, i'm sure they've got it down to a science. and actually each person has to pass through two different check points. My map shows a main check point and then once inside the perimeter a second check point. i'm not sure if that means there are actually 10 check points to process and half the folks in line are shuffled through to check point B or we have to get patted down twice. i have also heard that they will not start the ceremony until everyone that has a ticket has been processed through the security checks. i think it goes faster than you expect, ok that's me being optimistic. which i need because i gotta figure out how to get to the southside of the mall to my check point entrance.

Yeah, I'm hoping someone with a little more pull than me has done these same calculations, and prepared for this. :lol

I still don't even know what checkpoint I'm heading for. Luckily, I'm within walking distance, but I imagine it's still going to be a crush to just walk that mile to whatever checkpoint it may be.