The Inauguration

Maybe there's already a thread somewhere for this, I searched and was surprised to not find one.

So who's coming to DC for the inauguration?????

The mayor keeps saying he's expecting at least 4million people, maybe 5. The secret service disagrees based on hotel bookings (i guess they're not paying attention to craig's list or adding in how many people have spare bedrooms, couches and floors to accommodate guests). Metro is suggesting people walk everywhere.

It's going to be so much fun and so exciting! I'm so glad I live here!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably be otherwise occupied.

While I'd love to witness this particular piece of history, I sure as hell don't want to put myself in the middle of such an enormous crowd, outside, in the middle of January.

The police are warning people that they're likely to spend several hours on their feet without a chance to sit down. Doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

I hope those of you who do go have a great time. I look forward to seeing your photos.

I heard something about the bars there staying open until 5 am. (?) That should make for some interesting events. :huh

I heard something about the bars there staying open until 5 am. (?) That should make for some interesting events. :huh

indeed. although, now city council is thinking that might not have been the best bit of emergency legislation they pushed through after getting complaints from the police department and senators on the inaugural committee. there's a new piece of emergency legislation being worked on to have the bars open until 4am instead and different hours on sunday all together.

i figure this inauguration is going to be a political mardis gras of sorts. it will be completely crazy and crowded and cold, but i'm sure a blast all the same. as long as you have on your walking shoes. :)

Commercial: My condo is for rent. If anybody has a need...

LUCKY! my apt complex sent out a memo letting us know subletting our apts was against our lease terms and we could be evicted if caught. i have a colleague that has her apartment up on craig's list for $10,000 right now (and is taking "applications"). yowza.

Both of my kids have said they want to go downtown for this. I would only consider taking the 6 year old, but even then I think he's too young (he can't stand/walk around for 10 hours and I can't carry him for that long either). So we'll be alternating between watching this on TV and playing Wii.

Both of my kids have said they want to go downtown for this. I would only consider taking the 6 year old, but even then I think he's too young (he can't stand/walk around for 10 hours and I can't carry him for that long either). So we'll be alternating between watching this on TV and playing Wii.

I'll rent you guys the main floor of my grandfather's house for $5K, so you can watch TV and play Wii THAT MUCH CLOSER to DC. Also, you have to leave the Wii when you check out.

I was planning on going with my mom and some other family members, but after learning that you even need a ticket for the parade, we scrapped the idea. Too cold, too crowded, too small of a chance to actually see anything...unless hell freezes over and we get some tickets from our Congressmen, we're staying home.

While I'd love to witness this particular piece of history, I sure as hell don't want to put myself in the middle of such an enormous crowd, outside, in the middle of January.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. My parents live about three hours from DC in southern Pennsylvania, so I'd thought about driving down and back that day, but it would be so chaotic, and chances are I wouldn't really get to see anything meaningful anyway.

LUCKY! my apt complex sent out a memo letting us know subletting our apts was against our lease terms and we could be evicted if caught. i have a colleague that has her apartment up on craig's list for $10,000 right now (and is taking "applications"). yowza.

Actually this is an investment property and I just had a renter move out. It is sitting empty with a new coat of paint. :(

the news said today that they will be closing all the main bridges/routes into DC for the inauguration, and metro has already said it can't handle the 2-4 million people (they can only handle about 1 million) so unless you're already in the district, you're kind of out of luck.

In theory I would love to go, but in reality I don't want to be stuck outside on my feet for 12 hours in January and not see a damn thing.

But how amazing is this?! DC is having to completely overhaul their normal procedures to accommodate the hordes of people coming to be a part of this historic event!

But how amazing is this?! DC is having to completely overhaul their normal procedures to accommodate the hordes of people coming to be a part of this historic event!

it's going to be at least a 4-day long party!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...