The Inauguration

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rude as it may have been, I must admit that I chuckled when I heard the crowd chanting "na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey, goodbye" to Bush as his helicopter left DC.

More stupid than rude, don't you think? Ignorant, maybe?

Say what you will about his time in office; disagree with his decisions; make fun of his manner of speech, etc. etc., but I would think he deserves a little more respect than that.

Say what you will about his time in office; disagree with his decisions; make fun of his manner of speech, etc. etc., but I would think he deserves a little more respect than that.

stupid, disrespectful, ignorant, etc... i agree.

still, it made me chuckle... giddiness supercedes decorum, I suppose. :D

Agreed. Its not a high school football game. He may have been an awful President, but he was still the President.

I would think he deserves a little more respect than that.

I hear this said often about the office of the president. I am not sure I follow the line of thinking. The guy didn't have to run for president. He did. The people put him there. He works for the people. He is there to serve the people's best interests. As far as I am concerned, the people can do or say whatever they want vis-a-vis the president. Sure, it's tacky, and I wouldn't do it, but I can't criticize people for voicing their displeasure for a president with paltry approval ratings, whose vice president went on the NewsHour last week to say that they don't govern to the polls. Good for them. They don't govern to the opinion of the people that put them there.

The rationale of your point (I assume) would be that whether you agree or disagree with what he did, he did what he thought was correct, and did it as well as he could. Is that right? I still don't see why that doesn't give people the right to be disrespectful if they so choose. Bush wasn't serving as President to provide some sort of charity.

Maybe I am missing your point?

EDIT: I dont mean to limit this to Bush -- I hear this said often about presidents and the deference and respect that should be paid to them.

The office deserves respect, sure. G.W. Bush? I don't know - he REALLY made a mess of it. Often, leaders who fuck up as badly as he did end up leaving a lot less gently than he did.

The rationale of your point (I assume) would be that whether you agree or disagree with what he did, he did what he thought was correct, and did it as well as he could. Is that right? I still don't see why that doesn't give people the right to be disrespectful if they so choose. Bush wasn't serving as President to provide some sort of charity.

EDIT: I dont mean to limit this to Bush -- I hear this said often about presidents and the deference and respect that should be paid to them.

No, I think you get my point. Of course anyone has the right to be disprespectful. I just find it childish, immature, and ignorant of the demands of the position, especially in this context. Everyone's ready to move on, myself included. So, do it.

I hear this said often about the office of the president. I am not sure I follow the line of thinking. The guy didn't have to run for president. He did. The people put him there. He works for the people. He is there to serve the people's best interests. As far as I am concerned, the people can do or say whatever they want vis-a-vis the president. Sure, it's tacky, and I wouldn't do it, but I can't criticize people for voicing their displeasure for a president with paltry approval ratings, whose vice president went on the NewsHour last week to say that they don't govern to the polls. Good for them. They don't govern to the opinion of the people that put them there.

The office, the idea of the President is what I mean. I haven't got any complaint about judging the man, whomever that man (this being a men's club so far) may be. Although, really, (using my own logic I'll contradict myself now) he wasn't President anymore when he got on that chopper was he?

From the good people at The Onion

Hillary Clinton Mouthing Along To Presidential Oath

JANUARY 20, 2009 | ISSUE 45•04

WASHINGTON—Network news cameras covering Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony Tuesday captured Hillary Clinton silently moving her lips along with each word of the minute-long presidential oath of office. As she stood watching several yards from Chief Justice John Roberts, the former Democratic presidential candidate could be observed placing her left hand on a leather appointment book and raising her right hand slightly from her hip. Clinton, who carefully followed the swearing-in procedure with her eyes shut tightly, only varied from the president's words once, when she soundlessly mouthed her name instead of Barack Obama's. Clinton was later seen at an inaugural ball pretending she was dancing with first lady Michelle Obama.