The Inauguration

No, I think you get my point. Of course anyone has the right to be disprespectful. I just find it childish, immature, and ignorant of the demands of the position, especially in this context. Everyone's ready to move on, myself included. So, do it.

Throughout history people have been disrespectful toward the president's and ex-president's that they didn't approve of (See Carter, James and Clinton, William for example). It is the way of American politics. Hey Hey Good Bye is jsut a carrying on of the tradition.

I think he sign papers to formalize his nominees for cabinet positions but i seem to remember reading a rumor that he was going to sign some presidential decrees to having to do with some of the no-brainers like stem cell research

I think they had a whole raft of presidenntial orders drawn up and ready to go. I know Bush did and Clinton did. As the buzz from the days parties dies down we will get some reporting on these. Things like the no mentioning abortion in order to receive federal funding. Clinton overturned Bush/Reagan presidential orders almost immediately and Bush II overturned Clinton almost immediately. Other things got less publicity like when Bush tried to have the Regan era record sealed permanently, they filed suti in court to over turn the watergate era laws. Eventually they just cited national securiity and made the records sealed essentially forever. I am sure Obama has similar things going especially in the wake of all the new regualtions and such passed so close to the end of the Bush reign. Point being...all presidents come into office with a boatload of prepared orders and filings ready to go. I'm sure many things were filed shortly after noon today.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was H.W. I don't see what the problem is with him wearing a purple scarf, whatever it means. In fact, if he was wearing the scarf in the spirit of cooperation, I have a problem with you having a problem with that.

Never said i had a problem with it. Read the thread before attacking. It was my attempt at cracking wise about GW being creative enough to make a statement with fashion.

Why would any Bush give a shit about the spirit of cooperation. Now the spirit of "CORPORATION" i can see.

Throughout history people have been disrespectful toward the president's and ex-president's that they didn't approve of (See Carter, James and Clinton, William for example). It is the way of American politics. Hey Hey Good Bye is jsut a carrying on of the tradition.

Well, they were right about those two. :P

Never said i had a problem with it. Read the thread before attacking. It was my attempt at cracking wise about GW being creative enough to make a statement with fashion.

Why would any Bush give a shit about the spirit of cooperation. Now the spirit of "CORPORATION" i can see.

I attacked you?

I was VERY happy to hear that both of my daughters' schools had them watch a good portion of the Inauguration today. My oldest one is at a new school and my youngest was in kindergarten last time we had a Presidential Inauguration so I wasn't sure how things would go. They were both very excited and have been very much so since well before November. I can only hope they stay as interested and committed to the environment around them as they get older :pray

Someone needs to call the FCC about all this masturbation that's been going on in the media.

I'm pretty excited about all of this, but even I haven't been able to watch Chris Matthews in the past 24 hours. Has he taken a cold shower yet?

C-SPAN is the way to go.

From the good people at The Onion

Hillary Clinton Mouthing Along To Presidential Oath

JANUARY 20, 2009 | ISSUE 45

"On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics." - President Barack Obama

:thumbup Well said!

I'm pretty excited about all of this, but even I haven't been able to watch Chris Matthews in the past 24 hours. Has he taken a cold shower yet?

C-SPAN is the way to go.

Matthews definitely has wood for the new Prez for realz.

Today is the very first day a president I voted for is ruling our country.

This is not a monarchy.

Presidents govern...they do not rule. Even messiah presidents.

I was VERY happy to hear that both of my daughters' schools had them watch a good portion of the Inauguration today. My oldest one is at a new school and my youngest was in kindergarten last time we had a Presidential Inauguration so I wasn't sure how things would go. They were both very excited and have been very much so since well before November. I can only hope they stay as interested and committed to the environment around them as they get older :pray

I was also happy to hear they watched it. Unfortunately I have not done my job because she said it was "Boring". I proceeded to tell her why she would look back someday and be glad she saw it, the importance of it, etc... Not sure what I did wrong, heck I was one of the Obama delegates for my county!

I wonder if C-SPAN will actually show the bands playing?

President Obama is at the statehood ball right now. It was quite nice to watch the various ceremonies. While watching the events throughout the day, I could not help think of the 1993 and 1997 inaugurations. I missed seeing Gore in 2001 and Kerry in 2005, though.