The Inauguration

Over 2 million people on the mall today and not one arrest! :o

you've never seen anything until you have seen and actually been elbow to elbow with 2 million people all in one place. it was unbelievable today! it took bigshoulders and i 3 hours to get from my apartment into the silver section of the mall. we got extremely lucky to get in. many many people with tickets didn't get in, there were so many people. it took us from the end of the swearing in ceremony until the parade began to get home. we walked from 2nd and Independence (A in the grid) all the way to 31st and M where we were able to catch a bus the rest of the way. there was no dream or chance of getting near a metro station. but how truly amazing it was! here's 3 pics. Obama at the beginning of his speech (via jumbotron), the view to the capitol when he finished the oath and the view to the Washington Monument when he finished the oath. Those are all people as far as the eye can see to the Washington Monument, waving flags.

Inaug1.jpg

Inaug2.jpg

Inaug3.jpg

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melissa, I am so glad you got to go. What a day! I had some friends go and can't wait to see them when they get back (after they take a shower, of course).

Check out the interviews going on with some National Guard members in Afghanistan. He is so down to earth - which is a good thing.

Yeah, that was fantastic. He handled the delay really well, too. Just a cool cat, for a nerd.

Trivia time: Name the last white president.

William Henry Harrison!

Yeah, that was fantastic. He handled the delay really well, too. Just a cool cat, for a nerd.

YES! John Stewart had a nice exchange on his show with "correspondent" Wyatt Cynac tonight about this:

WC: You know John my parents never thought they'd live to see this day

JS: I know you must be really proud - the first black President

WC: Black President? No - the first COOL President, John

JS: Cool President? I'm sorry, I didn't catch that

WC: That's because you're not cool

JS: I AM TOO COOL!

WS: You're aiiiight

etc etc..

So you know how when you used to google "failure", one of the first links used to be george bush's bio? Well, since whitehouse.gov changed hands, if you google "failure", and click the W link, its now Obama's bio. He's a failure already!

Has anyone been able to find satellite photos of the area between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial? We know there were tons of people in that area and it hasn't been shown anywhere, I guess because technically it isn't "the mall", but there were definitely people packed in all the way to the Lincoln Memorial watching everything on jumbotrons.

That's an awesome photo and everything, but if you're looking at that thing that's even with the Washington Monument on the left side of the pic, I think that's the paddleboat marina.

Yeah. Someone else told me that. I felt like teh dumb ass.