How Ryan Adams Hurted My Feelings

So I was reading this months Relix magazine because I hate jam bands and all. Anyway, the cover story is on The Cardinals I think because of the Ryan Adams/Greatful Dead connection. So in the article Ryan talks about hating his old solo records and that the Cardinals have helped him learn to be ok with playing some of those older songs live again. I love Ryan Adams and I'm probably the only one here who wishes he'd release an album per month not one per year, but God I hate when musicians do this crap. Ryan still completely disses Whiskeytown and remember reading an article where Tweedy disses early Tupelo records. Not that I care what they think, because if I like that is all I need, but these records have meant and still mean a lot to people, be proud of it and cherish it, because Strangers Almanac is brilliant and I love all of his solo stuff and early UT records meant so much to fans and other musicians. It is ok to love what you are doing now, but don't deny the past. I'm done.

He hasn't done anything to me, but break my heart with his songs. I'm just saying that I wish some musicians could be ok with themselves once in a while. I want to tell Ryan, "hey don't give a rats ass what some hipster critic says, you are super talented, you put out sweet records, and a lot of sweet records at that , and I personally don't think you need an editor, your stuff is cool, let it be".

He hasn't done anything to me, but break my heart with his songs. I'm just saying that I wish some musicians could be ok with themselves once in a while. I want to tell Ryan, "hey don't give a rats ass what some hipster critic says, you are super talented, you put out sweet records, and a lot of sweet records at that , and I personally don't think you need an editor, your stuff is cool, let it be".

I didn't read the article but this is not what I thought you meant. It is certainly lame if he is letting himself get torn down by critics. But a certain degree of dismissal and loathing of your previous work seems pretty natural and healthy if you want to create new work. Things like that have been said by Miles, Dylan, Lennon, and probably the majority of true artists.

Wait, are you upset when artists dismiss their early work?

There's always been something about this that bothers me -- especially when the early work is obviously far superior than the recent work that said artist claims is "the best work of my career."

I find it disingenuous and sometimes hypocritical.

REM did this for years, until nobody was buying their lousy records. So then they suddenly began playing all those old songs live and even recorded an album that was designed to sound just like those old songs.

I think for a lot of bands it's something they say to try and convince people -- and maybe themselves -- that their new stuff is really good. but if it is, it'll stand on its own.

Now ... some artists really did suck early on and I can see where they're coming from. but 90 percent of artists seem to put out their best material somewhere in their first two or three records.

and way too many dismiss that stuff while they churn out dud after dud. it just gets old.

i dig an artist who really embraces his early stuff while still finding a way to stay relevant, and I think tweedy has done this as well as anybody

really who cares what Ryan Adams thinks, for that matter who cares what the hell you think. If you like the early records great. If someone doesn't then that is their opinion.

It is hard to tell what the problem you had with Ryan's "diss" of Whiskeytown, because you never site anything. If Ryan said anyone who listens to Whiskeytown is a fing moron and should be killed with a chicken bone you might have something. But if he just care for the records, then why do you care, cause he made them? You like 'em, great. Just leave it at that. Ryan, Jeff Tweedy are actually people, why should you care what their opinion is over the faux-hipster down the street.

It drives me nuts when people put so much credence in to their so called heroes think. They are no more special then you or, regardless of what they have done.

really who cares what Ryan Adams thinks, for that matter who cares what the hell you think.

I think it's an interesting topic of discussion.

This is a message board. It's actually a pretty good one.

This is where we exchange ideas, opinions and musings.

If you don't care "what the hell" he thinks, don't read the thread. Or don't read the board. Or go away.

I think it's an interesting topic of discussion.

This is a message board. It's actually a pretty good one.

This is where we exchange ideas, opinions and musings.

If you don't care "what the hell" he thinks, don't read the thread. Or don't read the board. Or go away.

I was trying to make a point. I love this board and I love the exchange of ideas and what not. But when it boils down to it, does anyone really care what others think? Most of the time people are looking for some sort of validation of what they believe is right. Ryan Adams liking or not liking a record doesn't matter. If Ryan Adams or anyone preference changes your preference in anyway, well that is is just sad.

Not to say people can't influence you, but ultimately your tastes should be your tastes.

And Hardwood floor, I will never go away.

I was trying to make a point. I love this board and I love the exchange of ideas and what not. But when it boils down to it, does anyone really care what others think?

of course

that's why people post here

that's why you responded to what i wrote

Not to say people can't influence you, but ultimately your tastes should be your tastes.

your tastes can still be your tastes but still get pissed when artists dismiss their early work. john lennon used to slam his beatles songs. didn't make me love them any less, but it pissed me off. i didn't like that he did it and i think when most artists do that, it's agenda driven and not a true reflection of their feelings of their stuff

I guess you have to look at what kind of mind state these artists are in when they write and record these records. both Ryan Adams and Jeff Tweedy seem to have struggled in the past with substance abuse, depression, etc, and granted, these maladies allow for some impressive artistic endeavors, its hell in pretty much every other aspect of one's life. Adams and Tweedy both seem to be in a better place now than they were in the past and, to me, its understandable that they'd want to avoid the past as much as possible. they're forging ahead with new songs and continuing their quests for happiness, sorta like we all are. I've always thought that it must be hard for artists to perform certain songs at concerts when they conjure up such negative/ hard feelings but I guess that's part of the job.

I never said it would change my preference or tastes or opinions, I just stated that it rubs me the wrong way sometimes. I can totally understand the past problems making some older stuff feel less than inviting. If that is the case, just say, "hey I was going through a real hard time during those albums and they just remind me of all of that shit and I'd rather not, at least not now." You don't have to act like your earlier stuff was below you. In the end I don't care to the point of not listening, I guess if anything it just reinforces what I already know: Even though I love someones music I probably couldn't be their roommate? :stunned

I never said it would change my preference or tastes or opinions, I just stated that it rubs me the wrong way sometimes. I can totally understand the past problems making some older stuff feel less than inviting. If that is the case, just say, "hey I was going through a real hard time during those albums and they just remind me of all of that shit and I'd rather not, at least not now." You don't have to act like your earlier stuff was below you. In the end I don't care to the point of not listening, I guess if anything it just reinforces what I already know: Even though I love someones music I probably couldn't be their roommate? :stunned

I still don't know what Ryan said about his music that "hurt your feelings." Some context would put this whole thing in perspective.

I don't have the Relix magazine article in front of me, and will post the exact qoute later, but basically the qoute is "I'm not going to make any more of those stupid records" when referring to older solo albums. I also have a live show from Oct in Madison WI where he lays into some jerk yelling out Whiskeytown songs and basically says "That song sucked then and it will suck now, so we are only going to play what is on our setlist..........." Once again, all of that is fine and I'm a huge fan, and love the new record, but I also think a song (for example) like "Excuse My While I Break My Own Heart" is crazy good and he shouldn't dismiss it. If that is what motivates him now more power to him, but recognize what you have done and pat yourself on the back and be proud