When I was a kid (70s), I used to play with my legos, matchbox cars, fisherprice, etc. in the living room in front of the TV, while my parents watched their shows. Supposedly, when a commercial break started, I would instantly be transfixed to the tube. When the show came back on, I would go back to my business.

So, my love affair with TV commercials is a lasting one...

Recently, my favorite commercials have been on cable. I assume the timeslots must be cheaper, so you get the cheesier commercials. For me, the format for a successful commercial has these elements:

1. (black and white) Show something that's REALLY frustrating

2. (color) Show the answer to the frustration

3. Show the formerly frustrated person being REALLY happy with the product

4. Have a limited-time offer (ACT NOW!)

5. 1-800 number

6. 3 easy payments

Last year was an exceptional year for these types of commercials: Shamwow, the foot-tampon thing, the blanket with sleeves, the cell-phone hook, and the pedi-egg.

The golden era of commercials is long gone, but I still make reference to several of them in daily life... "Calgon take me away!", "plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is!", the Coke song, "Ancient Chinese secret, huh??"

Anyone else get into commercials? Any favorites?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of old commercials up at Archive.org. Personally, I can't stand to watch them - I always flip to another channel when they come on. Of course, back in your day, one could not flip channels - because there was no remote control.

Last year was an exceptional year for these types of commercials: Shamwow, the foot-tampon thing, the blanket with sleeves, the cell-phone hook, and the pedi-egg.

Don't forget the purse with the magnetic covers, the Buxton bag, and my personal favorite that falls within your guidelines, the Listen Up hearing device that allows you to evesdrop on your neighbors.

I get transfixed when ShamWow Vince is on. I have no idea why. "For the next twenty minutes..." *swallow* "...cause we can't do this all day...."

I think my favorite current commercial is the one for the Amish Electric Heaters. Is there anyone out there who doesn't see the conflict of interest? And there is at least one person in that workshop with a strap on beard. "The Amish have imposed a 2 heater limit per household." :rotfl

Don't forget the purse with the magnetic covers, the Buxton bag, and my personal favorite in this genre, the Listen Up hearing device that allows you to evesdrop on your neighbors.

I get transfixed when ShamWow Vince is on. I have no idea why. "For the next twenty minutes..." *swallow* "...cause we can't do this all day...."

I think my favorite current commercial is the one for the Amish Electric Heaters. Is there anyone out there who doesn't see the conflict of interest? And there is at least one person in that workshop with a strap on beard. "The Amish have imposed a 2 heater limit per household." :rotfl

I didn't know there was one on TV. I have been keeping track of the print ads somewhat. I let this guy who runs a blog about the Amish know about it. It's not the heaters they are selling, but rather, the fireplace mantles.

I have seen two different print ads so far - the one in the newspaper shows a family at home, the one in the back of the most recent Rolling Stone shows two semi-nude blond women on a bed.

Information

The print ad is the best:

Edit

and the pedi-egg.

For the record, my friend and her husband each bought one of these and said it was the BEST investment they ever made! I was kinda hoping she'd get me one for Christmas but instead I got lots of other cool stuff ;)

One of my favorite commercials from childhood was "I'd like to buy the world a Coke". It always made me :D

Oddly enough - I was just thinking of the Libby's Libby's Libby's commercial this morning.

My oldest daughter's nickname is Libby. We sing that song around her all the time but she has NO IDEA where it's from...lol