I saw DBT for the first time last night, which is amazing in that they've probably played 20 shows in Richmond going all the way back to the beginning. Anyway, I feel just plain stupid that I had some misconceptions about this band and never really gave them much thought. Holy shit was I missing out. What an absolutely incredible live band. Knowing virtually none of their material I spent the whole set conjuring up images of the Faces, Cheap Trick, Tom Petty, ACDC, the Raspberries and yes Skynerd and Molly Hatchet as well. But it all worked and worked in only the way that two guys who've been playing together for 25 years can make it work. Those big ass guitar hooks are still ringing in my head. I wish I had seen DBT a decade ago in a tiny bar, but they turned a 2,000 seater into a giant barroom last night with everyone on hand in full collision with the band. And damn if that "Ain't Talkin' About Love," cover didn't hit the spot. So, anyway, I'm planning on buying the whole catalog as money allows, but where should I begin if I go down to the record store today? Thanks for any help.

How I see them:

Decoration Day

Southern Rock Opera

Brighter Than Creations Dark

The Dirty South

Pizza Deliverance

Gangstabilly

Alabama Ass Whuppin' (Live and out of print)

A Blessing and a Curse

I think they are all worth having. DD and SRO are the gold standard. I'd say get both of those first and work your way through the catalog. If you throw some Neil Young & Crazy Horse and Rolling Stones to the list of bands you mentioned, I think you have the recipe for DBT.

How I see them:

Decoration Day

Southern Rock Opera

Brighter Than Creations Dark

The Dirty South

Pizza Deliverance

Gangstabilly

Alabama Ass Whuppin' (Live and out of print)

A Blessing and a Curse

I think they are all worth having. DD and SRO are the gold standard. I'd say get both of those first and work your way through the catalog. If you throw some Neil Young & Crazy Horse and Rolling Stones to the list of bands you mentioned, I think you have the recipe for DBT.

I completely agree with these tiers, although I would reorder the first one and slide BTCD to the bottom of the second tier. But those are just slight differences of opinion.

Of course, when anyone asks me where to start with a band, I tell them start at the beginning and go in order until the end. Why would you want to hear the evolution of a band in any other way?

You're spot on about Crazy Horse. I just wasn't really expecting how melodic they were, Big Star even comes to mind. I'm gonna go get "Southern Rock Opera," today and go from there. Thanks for the tips.

I completely agree with these tiers, although I would reorder the first one and slide BTCD to the bottom of the second tier. But those are just slight differences of opinion.

Of course, when anyone asks me where to start with a band, I tell them start at the beginning and go in order until the end. Why would you want to hear the evolution of a band in any other way?

I also agree with the exception that I would put The Dirty South in the first tier. Probably because that's the one I started with and it has stuck with me. How do you not like a song suite about Buford Pusser? Plus I was obsessed with the song "Danko/Manuel" for a long time.

The Dirty South, Decoration Day and Brighter Than Creations Dark are my favorites and, I believe, their most accessible. Southern Rock Opera is great but I don't believe it's the place to start.

i'm with you 100% on this.

Dirty South would be my first recommendation, then Dec Day and probably SRO and BTCD after that. never really cared much for the first two... production is lacking imo.

Guest Hollinger.

Dirty South would have been my recommendation... Southern Rock Opera is a bit gimmicky and makes for an awkward starting place, but given that you saw them live already, it will work as well as anything. When I saw them last summer, a lot of the setlist was from SRO, so you should likely recognize a lot of it.

The Dirty South, Decoration Day and Brighter Than Creations Dark are my favorites and, I believe, their most accessible. Southern Rock Opera is great but I don't believe it's the place to start.

I heard about the Drive By Truckers and listened to SRO first because I heard it was their best one. It turned me off initially cause it just sounded like a Skynryd knockoff or something, and didn't listen to any more DBT. Then I heard about how good Decoration day was (on this forum, probably) and gave them another shot. I loved it, and then I got Dirty South which was just as good. I'd suggest listening to one of those first. I'm waiting for them to come to my town cause I haven't seen them live yet.

I still haven't totally gotten into SRO, but i'm working on it...

I heard about the Drive By Truckers and listened to SRO first because I heard it was their best one. It turned me off initially cause it just sounded like a Skynryd knockoff or something, and didn't listen to any more DBT.

SRO is inspired by Skynyrd, but, ironically enough, DBT doesn't really actually sound like Skynyrd.

Excellent choices, Greg - I think those records are a good starting point. I had the same misconceptions about the band (maybe it's how they were marketed? something off-putting about it...) and never saw them until a few years ago. Glad I finally did.

You may have missed out on the Isbell era (I did too) but I think in years to come we'll be glad we saw the dawning of the Neff era...mark my words ;)

Their Austin City Limits debut is airing early next month; you can see me in this clip :blush

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/index.php?o...&Itemid=682

Ok, don't start with Southern Rock Opera. Yes it made them known and got the attention (for obvious concept album reasons) but is doesn't have anywhere close to their strongest songs. The Dirty South be my pick. Now why all the hate for Blessing and a Curse? I love that record. Space City, World of Hurt, Blessing and a Curse. Man o man cmon yall

I ended up getting SRO, Dirty South and Gangstabilly, which I found used for $7.

I would HIGHLY recommend Decoration Day in addition to these.