Now Playing February 2009

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked for a smaller image....honest!

l_9c36a04c48e940aba914361297c5cf9b.jpg

very good album. love what he did with Doomsday. it seems a bit uneven tracklisting wise though... the mellower acoustic stuff all up front with the fuller band + horn stuff at the end.

i love every song but 'jesus don't touch my baby'. i think that's my least fave ryan song.

yeah, I'm not really fond of that song. Basically the opening run of Nuclear, Hallelujah, You Wil Always Be The Same etc. is just awesome

npmusic_phases2.jpg

You have mentioned this one a few times and I'm intrigued. Is it similar to Black Keys?

Similar in style, but IMO it's better.

You can hear the nuances in Auerbach's voice that too often get drowned out in the Keys, IMO.

Similar in style, but IMO it's better.

You can hear the nuances in Auerbach's voice that too often get drowned out in the Keys, IMO.

while I wouldn't agree that it's better than Black Keys, I definitely agree it's great.

From my perspective, much of it sounds like very stripped down Keys albums. Definitely worth getting.

You have mentioned this one a few times and I'm intrigued. Is it similar to Black Keys?

Somewhat similar. A good amount of it follows in the footsteps of "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" off Attack & Release. Keep It Hid is less dense that The Keys work, which is funny when you consider that The Keys are 2 dudes. I agree with the others that, with the possible exception of Magic Potion, it's not as good as the stuff The Keys have released. That said, if you are a Black Keys fan, you should definitely pick this up.

yeah, his voice is still fantastic, but doesn't always have that same sick guitar tone from the Keys records, i definitely miss that.

that said, 'My Last Mistake' is a fucking HIT if i ever heard one

Disclaimer, I guess: I don't care for the Keys all that much, I think they're running their blues-rock formula into the ground. The Auerbach disc covers a little more territory. I wish I could bring Otis Redding back to life just to sing "When the Night Comes".

Also, upon first listen of "Mean Monsoon" I thought "Dan's been listening to some M. Ward..." :P

Disclaimer, I guess: I don't care for the Keys all that much, I think they're running their blues-rock formula into the ground. The Auerbach disc covers a little more territory. I wish I could bring Otis Redding back to life just to sing "When the Night Comes".

Also, upon first listen of "Mean Monsoon" I thought "Dan's been listening to some M. Ward..." :P

fair enough... whereas they Keys been a fave of mine for the last 6-7 years and i think their last record was their best to date :)

i love the record honestly. maybe not up there with the best keys album but i wasn't expecting an album similar to the keys.

it's actually closer to the Keys sound than i expected...

i figured it'd be a more solo acoustic sounding thing rather than being way more full band than the Keys, which i might have preferred... hard to say

Do you hear that M. Ward influence too? Or is it just me? I definitely hear it on "My Last Mistake". He wears it well, I think.

I dunno, the Keys have just kind of worn out their welcome with me. I understand why other people dig them, though.

Do you hear that M. Ward influence too? Or is it just me? I definitely hear it on "My Last Mistake". He wears it well, I think.

I dunno, the Keys have just kind of worn out their welcome with me. I understand why other people dig them, though.

not too much.

My Last Mistake = CCR meets older Clapton imo

as for the Keys... what Matt said... they changed quite a bit over the last 2 records compared to The Big Come Up. i'll take great songs even if the formula isn't that different, vs. what the White Stripes offered their last few albums (haven't really loved an album of theirs since WBC). nevermind the fact that i much MUCH prefer Dan's vocals and guitar tone ;)