Now Playing February 2009

as for the Keys... what Matt said... they changed quite a bit over the last 2 records compared to The Big Come Up. i'll take great songs even if the formula isn't that different, vs. what the White Stripes offered their last few albums (haven't really loved an album of theirs since WBC). nevermind the fact that i much MUCH prefer Dan's vocals and guitar tone ;)

Attack and Release is my favorite Black Keys album... I know that there isn't a great deal of love for Magic Potion (although Just Got to Be is fucking awesome), I think that this is a band that continues to get better and better. Dan's solo album is just a small sign of that. While many bands peter out with their first or 2nd, these guys have grown significantly. In no way, do I think that they are drumming their blues thing into the ground.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear ya... i mean do people complain about BB King still "drumming the blues thing into the ground"? imo it's about sticking to what you do well rather than experimenting just for the sake of. that said, they still experimented plenty for me on the last record.

Attack and Release is my favorite Black Keys album... I know that there isn't a great deal of love for Magic Potion (although Just Got to Be is fucking awesome), I think that this is a band that continues to get better and better.

Rubber Factory

Thickfreakness

Attack & Release

Chulahoma

The Big Come Up

Magic Potion

All are very strong records.

And don't give me that date released shit. Save that for the newbies in the Wilco threads.

Did you see the Pitchfork review today? :rolleyes I don't believe ol' Bob could put out anything earning a 2.8...

I saw the p-fork review. I really agree with a lot of the critique of Pollard music since his post-GBV days. Yet, the review of the actual album, was dead wrong in my opinion. I find his music actually improving lately. I dunno, I just think it was a bad review.

As for a 2.8 rating, I can think of a couple of Circus Devils albums that would get less in my book.

I saw the p-fork review. I really agree with a lot of the critique of Pollard music since his post-GBV days. Yet, the review of the actual album, was dead wrong in my opinion. I find his music actually improving lately. I dunno, I just think it was a bad review.

As for a 2.8 rating, I can think of a couple of Circus Devils albums that would get less in my book.

Agreed, I'm really enjoying this record. Maybe they are trying to compare it to Bee Thousand or something. I have not read the review but I'm on my way to look at it.

Rubber Factory

Thickfreakness

Attack & Release

Chulahoma

The Big Come Up

Magic Potion

All are very strong records.

And don't give me that date released shit. Save that for the newbies in the Wilco threads.

Attack & Release

Rubber Factory

The Big Come Up

Chulahoma

Thickfreakness

Magic Potion

Currently listening: My Morning Jacket, live in Tokyo, 2.4.09

Attack and Release is my favorite Black Keys album... I know that there isn't a great deal of love for Magic Potion (although Just Got to Be is fucking awesome), I think that this is a band that continues to get better and better. Dan's solo album is just a small sign of that. While many bands peter out with their first or 2nd, these guys have grown significantly. In no way, do I think that they are drumming their blues thing into the ground.

i hear ya... i mean do people complain about BB King still "drumming the blues thing into the ground"? imo it's about sticking to what you do well rather than experimenting just for the sake of. that said, they still experimented plenty for me on the last record.

:lol Just gonna have to agree to disagree on this point, yet again...

:lol Just gonna have to agree to disagree on this point, yet again...

so you think even blues musicians who have played the blues for 40 years suck and what they do is just tired? or do you have double standards for certain artists/styles?

just trying to understand your logic here

You've said the same thing about M. Ward, and I understand your point of view but, really if all musicians, bands, or even us the listeners had this mentality it would defeat the purpose of listening to Wilco or Radiohead and remaining a crazed fan, bands that reinvent themselves are usually the best bands imo.

You've said the same thing about M. Ward, and I understand your point of view but, really if all musicians, bands, or even us the listeners had this mentality it would defeat the purpose of listening to Wilco or Radiohead and remaining a crazed fan, bands that reinvent themselves are usually the best bands imo.

i'm not denying that...and i agree with you guys... nor have i ever said i prefer artists who don't change or challenge themselves.

but what i've gathered from his posts is basically ANY band or artist who doesn't change their formula is no longer worth listening to after a certain point. which to me just boggles my mind i guess... there has to be balance. and also when you get to the point of putting unrealistic expectations on your favorite acts, you're just going to be let down at every turn too. you can't just say that any band who changes/evolves drastically over the course of their career is automatically better than one who doesn't. some of my favorite artists of all time never really changed that much (Sam Cooke, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Creedence, etc.), and i can't say i ever thought "huh, i wonder what it'd been like if Sam Cooke put out a country record", it's just not something that has entered into my thought with artists like that.

it'd be great if every band could evolve, but that's just never going to happen. sure you can love/appreciate the ones who do more, but more often than not, a large majority of bands/artists really don't change THAT much over the course of their career, and it seems a bit silly to me to "punish" those types of artists. some artists (a pretty small minority) change drastically over the course of their career (sometimes often forced, ie: change for the sake of), some (probably a majority) make slight tweaks and evolve much more slowly, and then there's bands like AC/DC who never mess with their formula. neither of those things are right or wrong or better or worse, it's all personal preference and i'd never hold i against a favorite artist of mine just because they don't experiment drastically. that's all i've ever been trying to say...

do i love the Pixies any less because they basically employed the same formula over the course of their records? nope... they're still one of my all time favorite acts. i mean i appreciate what Wilco & Radiohead have done over the last decade, but at the same time, i still much prefer Radiohead circa 1995-1998, and Wilco circa 1997-2002, so there's also that. otoh, there's tons of bands who changed for the worst too (recent examples, Bloc Party, Interpol, to name a few).

hopefully that makes more sense... or maybe i just confused you both more, if so, i apologize :lol