new album thread

No thanks, I'd find that really boring. Wasn't that the problem with SBS? :P

the thing is that all the tunes on SBS, besides SBS and Please Be Patient, are utterly compelling. each is like a little symphony with several connecting parts. not like prog rock, but true art pop. tweedy's basic songs with cool instrumental parts.

now as far as nels taking more of a role in the new album, i see it being more of what we had on SBS, but with more textures and maybe more extensions of song themes. it doesn't have to be electric either. given nels new acoustic album, i would love to see a basic tweedy tune with either a long acoustic textured intro by nels or a long outro or both. as i said before, add in some tasty licks from mikael and john...wow....oh, and we could say the same for glenn. just drop in an amazing glenn composition in the middle of a song. everything is so intentional with each one of the band members...it's amazing! :worship

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although unfortunately some folks don't really get Nels..

I get it alright I just don't like it.

The thing about Nels is you can't really get a good picture of his musical personality (which is way diverse) by looking at his work on SBS. A lot of what he does on that album is in response to the material that was brought to him. If you ever listen to anything start with the Nels Cline Singers, either Draw Breath, or the Giant Pin.

If I don't really like his work with Wilco why would I check out other material of his? I find his uber-noodling doesn't really fit in with Wilco but that's just my opinion.

The next album will define who Wilco are for the next few years, unfortunately if it's more SBS style stuff I don't think I'll be listening to it, I've found most of the post SBS songs to be quite pedestrian as well so I really want to be proved wrong..

Re: no one can accurately guess what the album will sound like. The only thing we do know is one Wilco album has never sounded all that much like its predecessor.

Not really...

AM and Being There sounded a lot alike.

You could also make a pretty good argument by coupling Summerteeth and YHF...although YHF was definitely more evolved than summerteeth but you could tell where they were going with summerteeth and it blends right in with YHF.

I get it alright I just don't like it.

If I don't really like his work with Wilco why would I check out other material of his? I find his uber-noodling doesn't really fit in with Wilco but that's just my opinion.

I guess I'm just a lead guitar nut that has listened to pretty much every style of lead guitar ever known to man.. From Jazz, to Country, to Rock, to you name it and Nels has a way of blending so many styles and sounds like no one has ever done before. Noodling would be the last thing in the world I would call it...

I guess I'm just a lead guitar nut that has listened to pretty much every style of lead guitar ever known to man.. From Jazz, to Country, to Rock, to you name it and Nels has a way of blending so many styles and sounds like no one has ever done before. Noodling would be the last thing in the world I would call it...

couldn;t have said it better.

Thanks, Mike. Okay, I did a little merging of threads here.

Here's what was said by JT recently:

Feb 7, 2009 - "The new album is 68% finished." :lol

Feb 14, 2009 - "The new album will be released June-ish."

... that's all I know, other than the fact that he is playing some new songs at his solo gigs, so checking the "After the Show" thread might give some insight into what MIGHT be on the new album. Or this thread: All Current New Songs thread

It's still kinda early to learn the details, and if I recall correctly, that's how they handled the last 2 releases, not much info until closer to release date.

I think many great albums have, but I don't think all great albums have intense conflict. I suppose any creative venture is bound to have some kind of conflict, but you seem to be pointing towards the dramatic kind. There are some examples of another type of great album:

Highway 61 Revisited

Kind of Blue

the Crane WIfe

Grace

the Argument

This Year's Model

Revolver

I'm not an expert on all of these, I might be dead wrong on a couple, but what I'm getting at are those great albums made by highly capable musicians with a camaraderie found by striving to make great art. I would like to think Wilco has been working with in that kind of atmosphere for the past couple years.

A Love Supreme was another brilliant album and that wasn't born out of conflict. It was Coltrane's gift to the Lord. So maybe this upcoming album will be really good only if Tweedy consider's it his gift to God... Wilco has surprised us before, it could happen: Wilco the Christian Rock band.

P.S. I'm joking

Thanks, Mike. Okay, I did a little merging of threads here.

Here's what was said by JT recently:

Feb 7, 2009 - "The new album is 68% finished." :lol

Feb 14, 2009 - "The new album will be released June-ish."

we can synthesize the data:

Wilco produces 32% of an album in roughly 4.5 months, using this we can predict that the next album after this one will be released, given 2 months off for touring time: June 27th, 2010

should I start a new thread about this new new album?