new album thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sources such as that oftentimes prove incorrect. especially since official press releases are saying Summer and Jeff told them at the living room show that it was 67% done. i'm skeptical, but would welcome a May release day obviously...

-justin

No, he said it was 68% done.

See, this is how rumors get started.

Jeff was just being funny and random and pulled that number out of his head. Don't take it too seriously.

Re: no one can accurately guess what the album will sound like. The only thing we do know is one Wilco album has never sounded all that much like its predecessor.

Yea, but this is the new era-Wilco. They just look so comfortable without challenging themselves as hard as they used to. If Jeff tried to push SBS material on Bennett/Coomer era Wilco, the songs would've been violently twisted around... that excitement of "what are they gonna do next?" has faded for me since Nels jumped aboard. He's such overkill to Jeff.

it pleased me greatly, so if it happens to be old news, please keep the "WE LANDED ON THE MOON" posts to a minimum.

Will that be the title of the new album? :dontgetit

Re: no one can accurately guess what the album will sound like. The only thing we do know is one Wilco album has never sounded all that much like its predecessor.

Maybe they'll fool everyone and release an album that sounds exactly like Sky Blue Sky.

i actually hope nels really plays a big role in arrangement this time. he is an untapped treasure in wilco and not just a sideman. given his new release, the new album could be utterly amazing if they let nels go off on tweedy's basic songs. add in some tasty bass from john and glenn's warm drumming and we might have a masterpiece!

c

i actually hope nels really plays a big role in arrangement this time. he is an untapped treasure in wilco and not just a sideman. given his new release, the new album could be utterly amazing if they let nels go off on tweedy's basic songs.

c

No thanks, I'd find that really boring. Wasn't that the problem with SBS? :P

Yea, but this is the new era-Wilco. They just look so comfortable without challenging themselves as hard as they used to. If Jeff tried to push SBS material on Bennett/Coomer era Wilco, the songs would've been violently twisted around... that excitement of "what are they gonna do next?" has faded for me since Nels jumped aboard. He's such overkill to Jeff.

I think the mistake with SBS is to think that just because it is a fairly relaxed listen (compared to AGIB, YHF) doesn't mean it wasn't a challenge to the band. Those smooth songs have super intricate arrangements with six performers and it was recorded live with everyone in one room. I think it must have been extremely challenging. They definitely could not have achieved it with that level of grace in a former incarnation.

I also think that Tweedy is always challenging himself. I saw a short interview somewhere on Paste where he was talking about how none of the bands previous albums make a statement that would be satisfying for him to make today. He said something to the effect of how he couldn't wait to make a record because he had something different to say with music that he wanted to make as soon as possible.

That is by no means a guarantee that it will be great, but I think one of the reasons I am passionate about Wilco as a band is they are always ambitious and never complacent. The reason Coomer was excused is because he was an extremely complacent drummer (but a good one). Listen to "Give Back the Key..." on Anodyne. That is Coomer at his finest. That's what that guy does. It is awesome, but not really relevant to what the band has created in the last ten years.

As for Bennett, there has been all too much about that on this board.

No thanks, I'd find that really boring. Wasn't that the problem with SBS? :P

Have you heard Cline's solo albums?

Can great albums only arise from conflict? Some of my favorite albums (YHF, London Calling, the White Album) were rife with conflicts and tension... or at least some kind of creative rivalry of relatively equal footing (Lennon vs. Macca, Strummer vs. Jones, Jagger vs. Richards, Louris vs. Olson, etc.).

I almost half-hope there are arguments between Tweedy and Sansone on what keyboard part will end up on the album, and that results in something fractured, tense and exciting musically, but that seems highly unlikely. Maybe these guys love each other TOO much...

>i actually hope nels really plays a big role in arrangement this time. he is an untapped treasure in wilco and not just a sideman. given his new release, the new album could be utterly amazing if they let nels go off on tweedy's basic songs.

Agreed.