A friend and I were having a long, drunk, late-night conversation on Saturday when the subject of LeRoy Bach came up. I feel a little tabloidy for asking when it really isn't all that important, but does anybody know the real reason why he is no longer in the band? Just want to settle a dispute. Thank a lot!

Wikipedia says to join a music theatre production. They cite an article from The Wire, but I can't find a copy of the article online.

he's no longer in the band, because he wanted to quit.

until yesterday, he was the musical director for Goldbrick, a theatrical production based on the music of Jon Langford.

also, he's been working around Chicago with Baby Alright and Marvin Tate. and he has a new gig coming up @ the Hideout, called Ghost Rest, with Dan Bitney of Tortoise.

Guest Jules
Wikipedia says to join a music theatre production. They cite an article from The Wire, but I can't find a copy of the article online.

I don't think it was the reason, but he did join or at least perform with the Lookingglass Theatre in Chicago after leaving Wilco. I seem to remember this and wikipedia says the same thing. Not sure if he's still there.

Whatever the reason for his departure, I certainly miss his contributions to the band, their live sound in particular, I loved his playing.

When The Roses Bloom Again 2003 Soundstage

--Mike

agreed. fortunately for me, I get to see him with a few of the local acts he's involved with and he's still a hell of a player. (sorry to rub it in)

No shortage of LeRoy this month:

Monday March 2 (and every Monday in March)

GhostRest w/ Dan Bitney

@ the Hideout

(in the front room!!!! ----two men, two synthesizers, one dream)

10pm $4

Friday March 6

solo set

@ the Quencher's

(over one hundred kinds of beer brands!!!)

9:30pm $5

Friday March 13

bABY ALLright

@ Ronny's

(w/ Happy Salmon)

10pm $7

Tuesday March 31

solo set

@ the Whistler

(opening for the Zoo Wheel)

8:30pm $0

He played on the last Joan of Arc record as well. He strikes me as an incredibly gracious, amiable and talented multi-instrumentalist that people are happy to have. The kind of guy that adds the perfect ego-less spice to someone's musical stew (kind of a Jorgensen). I wouldn't be surprised to find his name deep in the liner notes of many, many more albums to come.

Guest Hollinger.

The first Wilco show I saw was in the post-Jay period when Mike was just mixing w/ his laptop and not doing much else. Jeff, Leroy, Glenn and John... that show had an intensity that I have not seen since then. I walked away from that show thinking Leroy was the fucking man. Also thinking that Nels Cline fellow playing with Carla was unreal.

I also caught him playing (piano) with Iron & Wine when they were on Letterman (or Conan, or one of the other late night talk shows). Don't know if he toured or recorded with them or not.

The first Wilco show I saw was in the post-Jay period when Mike was just mixing w/ his laptop and not doing much else. Jeff, Leroy, Glenn and John... that show had an intensity that I have not seen since then. I walked away from that show thinking Leroy was the fucking man. Also thinking that Nels Cline fellow playing with Carla was unreal.

My favorite line-up of the band for sure. Intensity is the right word too. Those four (and a half) dudes had it going on in a way that wasn't present in any of the shows before or after that point.

I saw a show from that era, and the band seemed tiny and hollow to me. Every show I`ve seen since with Nels and Pat has absolutely blown that one into the ground. Jeff seemed happier, more animated and less adrift, for that matter. Diff`rent strokes and all that, I guess...

Leroy shows up in a lot of liner notes, I`ve noticed, sometimes in really obscure places. There was a great album in 2007 that I loved by Sonny Smith, called Fruitvale, and Bach was all over that one.