I wonder what people want from this band

Ok, lets start with the fact that we all love Wilco right? I mean we wouldn't be lurking around here in the first place if we didn't have some strong positive regard for this band. Now that being said, I'm cool with the fact that Sky Blue Sky didn't do it for some of those on this board, and I'm not a Wilco cheerleader who refuses to ever make a negative comment about the band. However, some of the posts about the new album that none of us have heard have this negative undertone that I just don't understand. I wonder what people want from this band. Do you want them to be aimless envelope pushers tyring to out do their YHF's to and endless point of nonsense? What is it that you want? Wilco started with a sweet little country pop record. Then they made a straight out sprawling rock record. Then they made a orchestra pop masterpiece, then they made a experimental pop masterpiece, then they made what I can only call a Wilco record. Then they made an in the moment simplified picture of the band record. What do you want now? Hell I'd take a straight country album, but I don't care. Jeff Tweedy can write sweet songs and I like em however I can get em. Does this band need to be anything more to some of you? Can't we just be happy that for a band of guys that should be way beyond their musical prime but they still make solid records be enough? Just my thoughts.

Ok, lets start with the fact that we all love Wilco right? I mean we wouldn't be lurking around here in the first place if we didn't have some strong positive regard for this band. Now that being said, I'm cool with the fact that Sky Blue Sky didn't do it for some of those on this board, and I'm not a Wilco cheerleader who refuses to ever make a negative comment about the band. However, some of the posts about the new album that none of us have heard have this negative undertone that I just don't understand. I wonder what people want from this band. Do you want them to be aimless envelope pushers tyring to out do their YHF's to and endless point of nonsense? What is it that you want? Wilco started with a sweet little country pop record. Then they made a straight out sprawling rock record. Then they made a orchestra pop masterpiece, then they made a experimental pop masterpiece, then they made what I can only call a Wilco record. Then they made an in the moment simplified picture of the band record. What do you want now? Hell I'd take a straight country album, but I don't care. Jeff Tweedy can write sweet songs and I like em however I can get em. Does this band need to be anything more to some of you? Can't we just be happy that for a band of guys that should be way beyond their musical prime but they still make solid records be enough? Just my thoughts.

Yes.

Not necessarily.

A great album.

A great album.

No.

Actually no, that last rhetorical question I disagree with, mainly because I think Wilco are still in a creative peak. I don't think they've plateaued to the point where a decent or solid album is all we can expect, like Pearl Jam or U2 or R.E.M.

Granted, I'm not your intended audience with this post since every little snippet of new album news is met with the excitement of a 13-year-old girl. But as someone who was ultimately disappointed with Sky Blue Sky, I just think they have more in them than that record revealed. And that doesn't necessarily mean more experimentation musically. They could go in any direction they wanted, just as long as they keep moving.

Nodep, hope you don't mind, but this "what do you want?" kind of question you posed is different from the "new album news" thread, so let's hear people respond to your question, and not let it get mixed up with actual news.

You see, I hated SBS when I initially heard it. My expectations ruined it. Not that it was worse than what I expected, it's just that no matter how it sounded it wasn't going to meet the album I'd already expected and been playing in my head for the months and months and months leading up to it. It took me about 6 or 7 listens to fall in love with SBS. That lasted about 3 months. And really, I only loved it because it was NEW WILCO music, you know? Once the honeymoon wore off, I never really went back to SBS. It's easily my least favorite Wilco album. But that's not really the issue, is it?

My point is that I'm trying really hard NOT to know what I want, or to want anything in particular from this album, because it's not going to sound the way I think it will, no matter what.

*** I had a dream last night in which I heard the final cut of "You and I," and it melted me.***

Says the guy who is named Wilco LP#7, who has posted many negative expectations for the next record.

I think sometimes fandom is actually a detriment for listening to music. I like that you're trying not to think what it will sound like, but that's kind of like trying not to imagine a painting you've never seen or trying not to imagine a city you've never been to.

Sometimes, you just gotta relax and listen to music (I think this is what you're saying anyways).

Guest Gym Teacher Man
SBS... It's easily my least favorite Wilco album.

Man, I've said that dozens of times. SBS was not a let down or a disappointment, so much as just my least favorite Wilco album. It has moments of pure greatness (YAMF, Impossible Germany, Please Be Patient With Me) and a whole lot of good songs. Conversely, it had some shit songs (Hate It Here, What Light, Shake It Off). I will say that seeing some of those songs live, both as Wilco and Jeff solo, warmed me up a bit (Hate It Here live with horns at the Residency shows, or solo Jeff is truly glorious).

All I want is for the new album to be that great album that Bleedorange is hoping for. I consider at least 4 Wilco albums to be truly great albums, and I'd like to bump that up to 5. I'm certain that whatever they put out will be something I listen to over and over again for years to come. They all are so far.

I'd also like to add, that it's very possible I will never come across another album that affects me in the way Yankee Hotel Foxtrot did. I was at a point in my life that may have been the most important point in terms of personal growth when they released YHF. That was the perfect album for that point in my life and I connected with it in ever single way. From Jeff's "I know I'd die if I could come back new", to the sweet Beatlesesque riff after the first verse of I'm The Man Who Loves You. Everything moved me. But I'm not there anymore, personally, and I just don't know that any album that any artist will ever put out again will be able to affect me so deeply. So I can't really expect THAT again from Jeff and gang, can I?

Says the guy who is named Wilco LP#7, who has posted many negative expectations for the next record.

:realmad I thought that Wilco LP #7 really WAS the new record, posting about itself. Thanks for ruining my delusion.

I want it to rock, but I am certainly open to the possibility that it will be mellow and still be excellent.

I'd also like to add, that it's very possible I will never come across another album that affects me in the way Yankee Hotel Foxtrot did. I was at a point in my life that may have been the most important point in terms of personal growth when they released YHF. That was the perfect album for that point in my life and I connected with it in ever single way. From Jeff's "I know I'd die if I could come back new", to the sweet Beatlesesque riff after the first verse of I'm The Man Who Loves You. Everything moved me. But I'm not there anymore, personally, and I just don't know that any album that any artist will ever put out again will be able to affect me so deeply. So I can't really expect THAT again from Jeff and gang, can I?

Probably not... It's rare for the stars to align and find total synergy between what's happening in your personal life and a contemporary work of art... at least that's my experience.

For me, Wilco has one superior album (YHF) and several good to very good albums. I think it's unrealistic to expect another superior or classic album. It's hard enough for a band to put out one, let alone two or more. That being said, I trust this band more than any other contemporary band out there to put out quality music that I will connect with on some level, no matter what direction their efforts take their music.

What I'm expecting from the new Wilco album is more of the same that I have come to expect of Tweedy almost every time he drops a new record...another curveball followed a brief disappointment, and after a few listens, some of my favorite music on the planet. He's done it all along, as if on purpose. Expect something from him...he's gonna burn you. From March 16-20, 1992 after No Depression and Still Feel Gone when he was with UT...to Summerteeth after Being There (a lot of Wilco fans took a long time to accept that record) to just when you were getting used to Summerteeth sonics...YHF (which actually took me awhile to come to really love) and now SBS. The only easy transitions for me as a fan has been from March to Anodyne and YHF to GIB, all the rest have taken some time and surrender of expectations...which is part of why I love Wilco and (UT)...reinvention.

first I'd point out that I think if SBS had been mixed/produced differently it would have been better-received around here. Just my opinion but I loved those tunes live.

wilco is the only band in my life that has made such consistently great records. But I think I'm a bit of an unusual fan in that I listen to and value their live performances so much. I have to remind myself from time to time to go back and listen to the albums.

I have nothing but optimistic expectations for the next record. This guy is as real as it gets--anyone who has been to a living room show will tell you that. I frankly am just giddy to know there is another album coming out rather than hearing about another band in crisis needing to take a "creative break" or other nonsense.

This band, right now, LOVES playing together. That's something the best of record companies and marketers can't create AND sustain

I wonder what people want from this band. Do you want them to be aimless envelope pushers tyring to out do their YHF's to and endless point of nonsense? What is it that you want?

I'd have to say, yes. It's probably my own fault but I have over the years built an image in my mind about what Wilco stands for, not so much what they sound like. To me they they were the quintessential music artists. They were prolific, hard to categorize, and they rocked hard. Now they are a different band for better or for worse. I hope their next album just blows all of my expectations away. If it doesn't it is probably because I've changed too. One thing is for sure that eventually someone will take their place as my favorite group. Actually Andrew Bird and M. Ward probably did 3 years ago.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm hoping for the best. I don't think people want to bash Wilco here, but they might find it as hard as I have to come to grips with the fact that Wilco is not their favorite band anymore and the bashing is just really fear manifesting itself.

I want the new album to be a total commercial failure, just like everyone else....

Guest Jules
I don't really want to search, cause I wasn't into reading them in the first place. Scroll through any thread on the new record. You'll find em.

I think you made it up in your head.

I think we're all going to just have to accept the fact that each of us wants something a little different from the band and that not everyone is going to feel the same way about each release. Unfortunately doing so wouldn't give us a hell of a lot to talk about on this side of the message board.

--Mike

'nodep5'

Dude... THANK YOU FOR SAYING WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID!! Hell, Wilco is a band, and Tweedy is a guy. What comes out of 'em musically is what comes out of 'em... If Wilco were such an excercise in contrivance that King Formula might be repeated at will, I doubt most of us would be on this board fretting over these things to start with. They're the artists, we're the fans... Let Wilco be Wilco. I'll be in line on Record Store Day to get my next fix, count on it.

This band has never let me down.

+1

Really what "we" fans want isn't too relevant to the creative side of things, that's why it's art. Great musicians routinely leave behind a portion of their audience...Dylan does this, Bowie, Neil Young, etc. It's not a big deal. Just follow the muse and maybe some people will like it.

Iggy Pop just made a jazz record, for chrissakes.