I wonder what people want from this band

I'll take it. I seem to remember people saying "Dude I've heard like three songs that might never be on the album, or might sound totally different when they are, and I think the new album is gonna stink."

But, I'll reset to believing I assumed, or misunderstood someone. We are all united in positivity.

I'm sort of obsessed right now with being completely surprised when it comes out.. I think if/when the album leaks, I will completely avoid threads that discuss the album.. I might even plug my ears if/when they play new songs at the concert I will be attending in April.. No, not really, but you get my point..

It's Wilco.. If it sounds like AGIB, if it sounds like SBS, if it sounds like nothing we've heard, it's still Wilco.. It's going to be good quality Rock Music.

i just want lots and lots of studio wizardry and overdubs. I want a dense album with lots of layers.

Me too....or at least partly.

Or better, an album with a nice mix of studio wizardry songs and songs with Jeff's pretty tunes and songs with Glenn and Nels' rockers.

My Morning Jacket's record "Evil Urges" has a really cool balance, I think. A pretty, acoustic "Librarian" and a rockin' "Aluminum Park" and the awesomely rockin'/funky combo of "Smokin From Shootin'/Touch Me I'm Going To Scream, Pt. 2".

To me, Being There and Summerteeth are similar in their diversity of great sounds and songs.

Sky Blue Sky was nice and beautiful in parts. I'm glad they made it and I get to listen to it. But it's their blandest sounding record overall, in my opinion. The pure, in-room, live feeling of it is nice. But part of the magic of buying music is that you get to hear what sounds a band invents....I don't give a shit how they did it or how many layers of voice or guitars were needed or how many overdubs were needed.

first I'd point out that I think if SBS had been mixed/produced differently it would have been better-received around here. Just my opinion but I loved those tunes live.

This band, right now, LOVES playing together. That's something the best of record companies and marketers can't create AND sustain

Agreed.

I don't care which direction the new album takes, I just want to love it as much as I love YHF.

And, agreed.

I really love YHF, but I don't think that studio overdubs and layering necessarily make for a better record, they can, but they have to fit the songs. I do hope this album is more layered than SBS which I think had lots of good songs, but just seemed a little lacking in production to my ears. I like it, but I don't love it. Even AGIB sounded like it had more "depth" of production, despite being essentially recorded live. I really like how the band functions right now and that exuberance comes across loud and clear at the live shows, but recording live does not necessarily mean having that energy. I hope the band makes a record they're happy with, but I would be absolutely ecstatic if it was a record that got me excited like YHF did.

When I knew Wilco was about to release a new album in June, my heart jumped of joy.

I think that says it all.

I'm of those who don't adore SBS, cause I found it too quiet, or professional, and not crazy enough, or lacking freshness... I think Jeff's voice was too drown in the mix, too. But I know what Wilco is able to do, and I always expect the best. I know this band can do the best tunes out there.

They're my favorite band of the last 15 years, hands down.

But now there aren't many bands around I'm fond of. I'm more into the solo singer songwriters stuff. Not that I think "solo singer songwriter" means something, but it happens that the music I like more often comes from solo artists, or credited so (with a band or not). So, to my view, Wilco is a special band, different from the others.

I don't like every band sounding like Wilco, or from the same wave. Wilco is more than that to me.

I'm sort of obsessed right now with being completely surprised when it comes out.. I think if/when the album leaks, I will completely avoid threads that discuss the album.. I might even plug my ears if/when they play new songs at the concert I will be attending in April.. No, not really, but you get my point..

Me too. I have heard a couple of the songs live, but I don't plan to do what I did with SBS which was to gather up all the live recordings of the new songs and listen a lot prior to the release or even the stream. I didn't enjoy SBS as much after that, and don't want to do that again.

I am hoping for a return of the mezmerizing sonic architecture we saw in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and to a lesser extent in Summerteeth (like in the actual song via chicago). A Ghost is Born grew on me, and parts of Sky Blue Sky I really enjoy now, but I haven't had that same sort of instant loyalty Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot had. But then again, when has Wilco ever delivered what was asked of them, instead of what their own talent and dream asked?