Phish Is Destroying Hampton, VA

Guest Gym Teacher Man
lol, this is phish we are talking about, of course they didn't repeat any songs.

fair point. i just remembered a few people posting on here saying they'd prefer they just work on a set of classics and hammer those out rather than worry about playing vastly different sets. that's what i more so referencing.

i am fucking in love with the Back on the Train to open night 2. so good.

People get busted all the time at concerts for stupid drug shit. I don't think the amount is abnormal for a 3-day run. I don't think it affects Red Rocks, either. I've yet to hear of violence/rioting/destruction happening at the shows, which is the much bigger issue.

Actually, I think things went better than anyone could have predicted. Drug busts were inevitable, but as far as I know, there were no major incidents such as disruption of the peace. Red Rocks is used to big throngs of hippies as they host Widespread Panic every year for one of the biggest concert events at the Amphitheater every year. The big issue is whether a bunch of ticketless fans will show up and cause a scene. I don't have numbers on how many ticketless fans were at Hampton, but I'll bet there were a bunch. Red Rocks will, of course, draw a lot as well. But I believe Phish ponied up a lot of cash to allow Hampton to have a LOT of extra law enforcement on the scene. I'm sure this was a condition of them being allowed to play. And I'm sure they will have to do something similar at Red Rocks. I'd be shocked if the Red Rocks gigs didn't happen. After all that's a lot of $$$ in a down economy.

ETA: 194 out off more than 75,000 fans. That is around the number of fans that would attend a football game. I wonder how many arrests are made every Saturday and Sunday at football stadiums around the country during the fall. Obviously those are going to be more drunk and disorderly than drug arrests, but I almost feel that's worse as far as maintaining the peace goes.

I certainly don't know one way or the other if it is a lot or a little (or if it's even an accurate number), but $1.2 million in value confiscated seems like an awful lot to me. I am going to rely on Lammy and Moe that this isn't that bad and will not allow myself to be bummed. Plus there was plenty of good music to celebrate, and I'm gonna focus on that.

ETA: I missed Moe's ETA, and I certainly agree that 194 arrested is pretty impressive. When you get that many people in one spot, the law of averages says that probably more than that will be arrested, and that some will even die ferchrissakes. I always thought Phish got a bad rap for stuff like that... 50 people would die at the world chess championships if 75,000 people showed up for it.

I certainly don't know one way or the other if it is a lot or a little (or if it's even an accurate number), but $1.2 million in value confiscated seems like an awful lot to me. I am going to rely on Lammy and Moe that this isn't that bad and will not allow myself to be bummed. Plus there was plenty of good music to celebrate, and I'm gonna focus on that.

ETA: I missed Moe's ETA, and I certainly agree that 194 arrested is pretty impressive. When you get that many people in one spot, the law of averages says that probably more than that will be arrested, and that some will even die ferchrissakes. I always thought Phish got a bad rap for stuff like that... 50 people would die at the world chess championships if 75,000 people showed up for it.

Let's not forget that law enforcement LOVE to inflate street volume numbers on these things. For example, they will take the value of a hit of acid (already inflated by them) and then confiscate a sugar cube with liquid (am I dating myself) and instead of calling that one hit, they will weigh the cube and, based on the totally bogus measurement of weight, assign a MUCH higher street value to it. IMO $1.2M is bullshit. Even if every one of the 194 busts was for drugs that equates to over $6K per bust. When was the last time you saw some lot rat with $6K. Doesn't add up. Even lot rats are smarter than to carry that much on them at one time.

Even if every one of the 194 busts was for drugs that equates to over $6K per bust. When was the last time you saw some lot rat with $6K. Doesn't add up. Even lot rats are smarter than to carry that much on them at one time.

You are right -- it doesn't add up. Which is why my initial (wrong?) reaction was to be bummed. Now that I think about it, it seems like the fuzz/heat are more likely messing with numbers. They certainly have an incentive to do it in all cases and multiply that by about 10 when Phish is involved, for whatever reason.

Anyway, back to more important things, I don't hear anyone talking about that Antelope. Just, wow.

I had convinced myself somewhere along the way (after some bad experiences) that the drugs and the scene were going to destroy each other, and somewhere along the way, out of respect for the band and the music (and my love of both, and I guess, myself) I decided that every phish show that I ever went to, I would be stone cold sober. I think, at a minimum, it's been the last 15 or so shows.

I think even trey said that he was bummed that shows became an excuse for people to party. That news story really bums me out. They were away for 4 years, and you couldn't just go to enjoy the music? For a weekend? Man, I know I sound like a crotchety old judgmental asshat right now.

I go to Phish shows compltley sober too...maybe a few beers but I like to enjoy the music as it is...

I'm gonna try not to rant here. But....why can't folks just roll themselves a few fatties, slip that tab in their pocket, whatever, before the show? Christ, you have 3 MONTHS to plan for this run...you've made road trip plans, you've got the hotel room booked - get yourself ORGANIZED fer Chrissakes!

I'm gonna stop right there.

I'm gonna try not to rant here. But....why can't folks just roll themselves a few fatties, slip that tab in their pocket, whatever, before the show? Christ, you have 3 MONTHS to plan for this run...you've made road trip plans, you've got the hotel room booked - get yourself ORGANIZED fer Chrissakes!

I'm gonna stop right there.

Harder to do if you are flying down to VA, but yeah, I guess you made my point much better than I did.

OK, back to the music for a second.

Having listened to all three shows, and some sets twice over, I'm reminded of the scene in IATTBYH when the band finishes playing a rocking early version of Kamera, and Jeff takes off his headphones, looks at the band and says "Uh....OK".

Yes, I would be very happy if this was the level of effort and musicianship we got from the band for the rest of 2009 and beyond. Sober, rehearsed and focused. Are there three words any Phish fan would rather have associated with the band at this point? There's definitely some rust on the Trey-mobile and, dare I say it, some restraint being shown? Not a bad thing perhaps, at least until the rust wears off, especially with Page playing his ass off.

Also a big fan of Trey bringing the Compressor back to his rig. He really sounded great this weekend and once the rust wears off I'm really excited about the return of the focused, "I Am Trying To Melt Your Face" (IATTMYF) Trey.

Okay because no one really cares, I'll share my thoughts on The Return™. I have now listened to all three nights and I have to say by the third night, I was kind of forcing myself to listen. The music was good, solid if not totally inspired. It did have some really nice moments, mostly in unexpected spots. But I have been seeing this band live for 20 years and it will never be the same as it was for me '94 and earlier. My musical tastes are fluid and dynamic and it is amazing when ANY band holds my attention for that long. Very few have. The GD and FZ come to mind (probably no coincidence), but even with them I very rarely listen to it anymore. I can't really say whether my waning interest in the later years was due to my own shifting tastes or whether it was due to the obvious abandonment of what I felt had made them great - an almost unparalleled work-ethic that allowed them to be incredibly tight playing very complicated material that informed amazing improv. I will say I am happy they are back and I am VERY happy that they SEEM to be focused on being that well-rehearsed band of old, not the slop through the song to get to the jam so they can all play varying vamps over each other. That always seemed too easy to me for a band like Phish and, while I know many liked that style, I did not. I'll go see them when they come to Red Rocks and I'll have a good time. But I probably won't pay much attention to their tours other than when they come to Colorado. Listening to the Friday show and the first notes of Fluffhead gave me chills, but I'm forced to admit that they didn't last. That is on me, however, not Phish and I'm glad they are seemingly BACK not just reunited.

I'd echo some of what Moe says, and obviously I say that as someone who saw a fraction of the shows that he saw and my peak years were 95-97.

I thought the run was a lot of fun. I got chills at all the normal spots (fluffhead, sanity opener, antelope). There was some rust for sure, but it's hard to quibble with the rust when you come out of retirement to play 3 shows like that, balls to the wall. There were going to be Trey flubs and I can't get (and won't get) hung up on them. The energy seemed to be there and the joy was there.

And yet, I am a bit surprised at the outpouring of unanimous praise. Notwithstanding the setlists, it really wasn't like '94 in there on Friday night (or '97 on Saturday night). Something has changed. And that change is ok. I don't fault it. They are different and we are different. It shouldn't be like it was in the old days. Something would be wrong if it was the same.

I don't think any of these shows end up in permanent listening rotations. Maybe summer tour will be different. They will get on a bit of a roll, gather some momentum, and the nuance will come back. This weekend felt like a catharsis. Let's get everything out to prove that we can still do it. And now it's over. And we wait for the summer.

I hate that I sound like a complainer -- I notice a lot of that creeping into my recent phish posts. And there's nothing I despise more than phony nostalgia and I can't tell if that's what this is.

I am happy they are back. I had a blast this weekend. My world IS a better place when they are in it. I will pay attention to summer tour. But something's missing. Or, let me put it this way. I want to pay attention to a real tour, and then I will see if something is missing.

I'd echo some of what Moe says, and obviously I say that as someone who saw a fraction of the shows that he saw and my peak years were 95-97.

I thought the run was a lot of fun. I got chills at all the normal spots (fluffhead, sanity opener, antelope). There was some rust for sure, but it's hard to quibble with the rust when you come out of retirement to play 3 shows like that, balls to the wall. There were going to be Trey flubs and I can't get (and won't get) hung up on them. The energy seemed to be there and the joy was there.

And yet, I am a bit surprised at the outpouring of unanimous praise. Notwithstanding the setlists, it really wasn't like '94 in there on Friday night (or '97 on Saturday night). Something has changed. And that change is ok. I don't fault it. They are different and we are different. It shouldn't be like it was in the old days. Something would be wrong if it was the same.

I don't think any of these shows end up in permanent listening rotations. Maybe summer tour will be different. They will get on a bit of a roll, gather some momentum, and the nuance will come back. This weekend felt like a catharsis. Let's get everything out to prove that we can still do it. And now it's over. And we wait for the summer.

I hate that I sound like a complainer -- I notice a lot of that creeping into my recent phish posts. And there's nothing I despise more than phony nostalgia and I can't tell if that's what this is.

I am happy they are back. I had a blast this weekend. My world IS a better place when they are in it. I will pay attention to summer tour. But something's missing. Or, let me put it this way. I want to pay attention to a real tour, and then I will see if something is missing.

maybe you've just moved on. it tends to happen.

maybe you've just moved on. it tends to happen.

I think I had too much joy in me when I heard Fluffhead or Sanity or Antelope to think i've moved on. But maybe you are right. Or maybe moved on doesn't have to mean entirely. We shall see.

I think I had too much joy in me when I heard Fluffhead or Sanity or Antelope to think i've moved on. But maybe you are right. Or maybe moved on doesn't have to mean entirely. We shall see.

i think a lot of folks have. the band sounds great, but the whole time i was listening i was thinking "what are they going to do that is going to be different enough for them not to burn out and want to quit in a year or two?"

i think a lot of folks have. the band sounds great, but the whole time i was listening i was thinking "what are they going to do that is going to be different enough for them not to burn out and want to quit in a year or two?"

That's the question. I think the performances and jams were great, if a bit restrained (probably for the best). But I haven''t been a fan of Trey's solo material. The new song they played was alright, but just not what I look for in new music. He did that Time Turns Elastic thing (I still haven't heard it) I want to hear some fucking compositions. The last "new" one I can think of is Guyute but they played that a few times in the early 90's. If they go the same route as Round Room and Undermind with their new material, I won't be excited.

I love this post. See ya The Creek, Matt?