The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I don't understand how they do not postpone a show when the "main guy" can't perform.   If Greg is too sick to perform....postpone for sure.  Guess it would cost them $$$ if they did that.   Like I said in previous posts, this band should be called "A Tribute to the Allman Brothers" anyway.

I traveled from San Diego two weekends ago. Luckily Greg played and sounded great, but if he was sick I would have rather the shows gone on without him, and I'm sure anyone who spent money on travel and vacation days would. Also, you've clearly established your opinion about this being a tribute band. It's your opinion, your entitled to it, but you're wrong and your opinion sucks. My mind was blown in 2 shows by one of the best bands I've ever seen live, period, playing some of the greatest music ever written. If you can't enjoy that, or it's degraded in some way not due to the quality of the performance but the names of the people on the stage, then well...fucking internet people. 

DAMN I know an old friend of mine flew from Asheville NC to NYC yesterday to catch two of the shows :(

That sucks.  I was planning to drive down from Boston in about 2 hours, so I'm staying put at work.  As JW Harding noted, I would have been happy to go even with Gregg being ill.  Sure, he's a central figure with his singing and B-3 playing, but I know I would have enjoyed it enough with the players they had filling in to make it worth it for me.   

I would be going down tomorrow.  I would've been happy to go without Gregg, but it would've have felt to me like the allman brothers, not The Last Beacon Run Of The Allman Brothers.  Does that make sense?  I'm glad for now I'm holding on to a face value ticket for the last night; we'll see where they go from here.  I would not be happy if I paid more than face right now.

• 3 weeks later...

This is except from an interview.....lol.....If Greg is not in the band would all of then say they are a tribute band.  In what world are they on top of their game.  Dickey and Duane are the game.

How did the idea come about then to take this break? Was it a group decision?

Well, actually Derek is the one. He's told us for several years and I've seen this coming; it's the reason that we started doing these festivals because I knew at some point that Derek would want to be more than just another guitar player in The Allman Brothers Band and that he would want to go out and establish his own legacy. He's good enough that he should. Derek has just finally reached the point where the band that he and his wife have, the Tedeschi Trucks Band, has started to take off and he feels that since this is our 45th anniversary that he's got to go on and pursue his career. That kind of triggered Warren to follow and say, 'Well if Derek is going to leave then it may not be as good so let's call it quits.' As soon as the two of them made the announcement then Gregg said, 'Okay, then this is the end of the line for The Allman Brothers,' which he really doesn't have the power to do but whatever.

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm going to enjoy every minute of this year, if it is the last year then I'm not going to waste time sitting around worrying about what's to come; I'm going to enjoy what I'm doing. It was sad that we had to cancel the last four shows at the Beacon because Gregg got very sick but the ten shows that we did play were some of the most fun shows I've ever played in my life. We're right at the top of our game right now so that argument goes both ways; if you're at the top of your game then why quit but then if it's time to quit then you may as well do it while you're at the top of the game. We don't want to turn into a nostalgia act, you know? There are enough of those out there. [Laughs]

I guess this is the story now: (by way of Jambands.com)

(Just the other day I saw an interview with Warren where he said the band was going to cease.)

Gregg Allman: Allman Brothers Are Not Breaking Up, Derek Trucks To Be Replaced

Gregg Allman has says the Allman Brothers Band will not break up after 2014. In a new interview with Radio.com, the Allman Brothers Band leader said: “As for the rumor of the brothers breaking up after 45 years, in other words, after this year…that is a rumor. We are not breaking up. We are replacing Derek Trucks.”

When pressed to reveal more information about the next incarnation of the iconic band, Allman told Radio.com, “I ain’t gonna let you in on all of it, brother! You wanna try out?”

As previously reported, Allman Brothers Band guitarists Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks announced that they would be leaving the group after this year to focus on their other projects. Allman later told Relix that the band would stop touring after 2014, but he didn’t rule out the possibility of other future one-off gigs or other reunion performances. The singer/organist plans to focus on his solo band for much of the year and has two new studio albums in the works.

The Allman Brothers Band will perform at the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, FL tonight. It will the be their first performance since the band cancelled the last four shows of their annual Beacon Theatre run due to Gregg Allman’s bronchitis.

I'm inclined to think the road goes on forever with these guys, until Gregg can't play or passes on. At least I HOPE that's the scenario cause I'm not ready for it to be over.

It stills seems odd to me. One week various band members are saying they are done - and then a while later someone in the band says they are going onward.

I wonder if it will be whoever plays guitar in Gregg's band.

They whole thing seems to be getting out of hand from a PR point.

Up to the point where Duane was killed in the latest ABB book--- didn't really realize about the hard drug usage among the band when Duane was around, I thought that came on later.

I don't remember the Skydog book discussing heroin usage, just cocaine.

The book is a little over played --- 5 pages of how great Duane was -- a couple pages about road life - then 5 pages more of how Duane was great, etc.....

The segment of a lot of them going to drug rehab was interesting --- it's good that caring and treatment for drug addicts has progressed since the early 70s.

Entertaining read, though.

I didn't think the book that was great. I think you can tell - if you see the photos of how scrawny they were at one point. I thought it was funny that the writer made fun of the Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas title - just as Scott Freeman did in the Midnight Riders book.

It is actually derived from the Check Berry song Too Much Monkey Business.

I've never heard that album, Enlightened Rogues,  Reach For The Sky, or Brothers of The Road.

I always liked "Wipe the Windows". It's not THAT bad. Hell, there's a side-long "Elizabeth Reed" that is a Leavell showcase on there.

I recently got the Japanese import version of the special edition Brothers and Sisters. The live show from Winterland is excellent. Chuck Leavell is awesome. I saw that era band at the Nassau Coliseum ( they released that show also, crappy recording).

Moving to today's news, Trey played with them last night at Wanee. I imagine that melted some faces.

I've been feeling this way for a while, so now I'm going to say it.  Do they just hire friends or something to handle management and PR?  It seems so amateur.  How difficult is it to get everyone on the same page when it comes to interviews or information?  I think Gregg might be losing it and is a loose cannon.  The only way it works is that the music is so good and the fan base is so loyal.

The band has been managed by the same guy for years, Bert Holman. Lives in Newton MA. The fact that I'm sitting on a Beacon ticket and they don't say anything about new dates or refund while Gregg is healthy enough to play this weekend is starting to piss me off.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I've never heard that album, Enlightened Rogues,  Reach For The Sky, or Brothers of The Road.

Wipe the Windows....is no Live at Fillmore, but it's a fine live album with some very good material.

I used to have the Brothers of the Road vhs tape, from the Toler brothers era. Now, that is a pretty dismal release, and it has prevented me from acquiring any of the Toler era studio records.   Is one of the Tolers on Enlightened Rogues?  There are a couple fo good songs on there, but only a completist needs to own it.