Netflix has taken over my life, but I'm alright with it. I just finished up the final season of Deadwood. It was one of the best things I've ever seen. I'm sad for it to be over. But, leaving Deadwood behind, I'm thinking about moving on to The Wire. Has anyone seen it? Give impressions please. Is it worth my time? And if not, what series should I move onto?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Netflix has taken over my life, but I'm alright with it. I just finished up the final season of Deadwood. It was one of the best things I've ever seen. I'm sad for it to be over. But, leaving Deadwood behind, I'm thinking about moving on to The Wire. Has anyone seen it? Give impressions please. Is it worth my time? And if not, what series should I move onto?

In the final season's DVD bonus feature documentary, a media critic says The Wire should be remembered as Shakepeare's work is. I wholeheartedly agree with him.

I have said it before but The Wire is the best thing that has ever been on TV. Better than Deadwood, Better than the Sopranos, better than Gilligan''s Island.

I envy you getting to see them for the first time. Actually I'm starting season 5 tonight. Season 4 was a mind blowing masterpiece.

I have said it before but The Wire is the best thing that has ever been on TV. Better than Deadwood, Better than the Sopranos, better than Gilligan''s Island.

I envy you getting to see them for the first time. Actually I'm starting season 5 tonight. Season 4 was a mind blowing masterpiece.

Season 4 cannot be topped.

I have said it before but The Wire is the best thing that has ever been on TV.

I cannot disagree with that at all. Definitely worth the time investment. The most "realistic" cop drama that has ever existed. I can't think of many TV shows I like more than this one, ether. All the characters are interesting for the most part.

It is very entertaining, and I just may have learned something along the way as well. It really delves into the deep-seeded politics of the force, schools, city hall, print media, etc., and pulls few punches. Plus I like watching McNulty and Bunk vomiting in nearly every episode.

Omar is probably my favorite TV character of all time, and Beanie (sp?) is milfy-goodness.

In the final season's DVD bonus feature documentary, a media critic says The Wire should be remembered as Shakepeare's work is. I wholeheartedly agree with him.

One would never guess that given your avatar? :thumbup

Best television ever produced.

Echo! I saw bits and pieces of The Wire over the years, but never watched it all the way through until the series wrapped. It is perhaps one of the most damning critiques of power and authority in all of its incarnations as any piece of art ever. The lines between good, bad and evil are so blurred that you catch yourself rooting for characters that couldn't be further away from where you're coming from in life. The casting, down to every minor character is superb, and to second what someone already said earlier, the Omar Little character is my all-time favorite of any show. Take you're time with it, because when you finish the last season, you'll feel empty for weeks.

A very sincere word of warning - if you watch The Wire, prepare for a lifetime of disappointment - you will find all dramatic television from thereon out lacking.

No words can describe how great this show is. Which means, of course, that we (the fans) always try to anyway. Attentive viewing will be richly rewarding, as this is one of those rare shows that will deeply affect how you see the world long after "The Fall" (that's a slightly obscure reference, but you'll get it after watching). I can't think of a single dramatic television show that has had this effect on me, and few movies. Bunk's reference to the Shakespeare analogy is dead on. Avoid the message boards, especially on IMDb, though - you are in the extremely enviable position of seeing this fresh, and the boards are rife with spoilers.

Funny thing is, I think it's always hard for fans of the show to get others to watch it because it is impossible to speak of without superlatives. I think this gives people the idea that we're a bunch of fanboys, or that the show can't possibly be that good. It is.

Damn. I told myself I wouldn't watch the DVD's for a year. It's only been 7 months, and writing this is giving me the urge. argh.

Deadwood has meant the world to me for the last couple of months. I would run from the truck to the mailbox to see if it was there.

Now I am excited. I have no frame of reference. I know nothing of The Wire. But, damn, these are fine reviews. Once I am in to the series, I hope to have a discussion. Or, at the very least, quote.

I cannot disagree with that at all. Definitely worth the time investment. The most "realistic" cop drama that has ever existed. I can't think of many TV shows I like more than this one, ether. All the characters are interesting for the most part.

It is very entertaining, and I just may have learned something along the way as well. It really delves into the deep-seeded politics of the force, schools, city hall, print media, etc., and pulls few punches. Plus I like watching McNulty and Bunk vomiting in nearly every episode.

Omar is probably my favorite TV character of all time, and Beanie (sp?) is milfy-goodness.

Omar ROCKS! the crazy thing about the wire was how real it seemed. i mean, it just looked like real cops and gangsters doing there thing. the show was utterly compelling and not because of some original plot line or cute actors. it was REAL drama...all expectations dashed, real life, real death. i could go on. it's amazing. savor every minute. you'll be drooling while time has stopped as you watch each episode...then...those drums and bass that indicate the end of another masterful episode. :thumbup

as another poster said....law and order ect. are complete jokes after watching the wire.

Deadwood has meant the world to me for the last couple of months. I would run from the truck to the mailbox to see if it was there.

Now I am excited. I have no frame of reference. I know nothing of The Wire. But, damn, these are fine reviews. Once I am in to the series, I hope to have a discussion. Or, at the very least, quote.

"Do tell...", Omar

It's good to see I'm not alone in my feelings for the show. The absolute best show ever. You know when you have a writer like Richard Price penning episodes you have something good. The characters are amazing. The guy that plays Bubbles is just an amazing actor but they all are really. Very cool seeing Steve Earle have a part in it. I hope that's not a spoiler in any way. I would hate to give anything away. So many great scenes. I'm still in the midst myself. I just watched episodes 1-3 of season 5 for the first time. Her it is 3 in the morning because I could not stop watching them. Now I have to wait for Netflix to send the next episodes.

savor every minute. you'll be drooling while time has stopped as you watch each episode...then...those drums and bass that indicate the end of another masterful episode. :thumbup

The knee-jerk routine my wife and I followed as each episode faded to credits was just saying "Fuuuuuuuuuuck..." at the same time, staring at the screen.

I have yet to see this show, however, I'm certain I'll own the series at some point in the near future. I'm a big fan of George Pelecanos' books/writing. I believe he got connected in season 4.

Is this a show that I need to watch from the beginning or can i pick up in the middle? It may take me a year to watch a full season.

Is this a show that I need to watch from the beginning

Yes. Season 2 may kind of throw you off, as it doesn't follow season 1 clearly, but I'd still say it's essential to watch the show chronologically.

The knee-jerk routine my wife and I followed as each episode faded to credits was just saying "Fuuuuuuuuuuck..." at the same time, staring at the screen.

yes!! you get my sentiment Bunk!

Yes. Season 2 may kind of throw you off, as it doesn't follow season 1 clearly, but I'd still say it's essential to watch the show chronologically.

i really loved season 2...just a whole new aspect of the city and it's complex issues.

as an aside, the dude who played stringer bell was recently on fresh air. hearing him talk as a 'real' person just blew my mind. i was expecting him to be stringer all the time. just an incredible actor, as were all cast members. wasn't clarence clemons on there too? season 4?

"PANDEMIC....GOT THAT PANDEMIC!"

shit, i gotta watch it again.

I have yet to see this show, however, I'm certain I'll own the series at some point in the near future. I'm a big fan of George Pelecanos' books/writing. I believe he got connected in season 4.

Is this a show that I need to watch from the beginning or can i pick up in the middle? It may take me a year to watch a full season.

as has already been said, yes, watch it chronologically.

And allow me to make a bold prediction. You say it will take you a year to watch a season. There's a better than good chance it will become your new obsession. Hell, there are even rumors that the show caused a veteran lead man from some band to lose his place in the middle of song he knows all too well.....

Now I'm pissed there's no mail delivery on Sunday. I can't wait to get started. After this initial discussion I got a stern talking to from my girlfriend. She looked at the Netflix queue.

likewise. Sometimes we said "Damn.." though.

as has already been said, yes, watch it chronologically.

And allow me to make a bold prediction. You say it will take you a year to watch a season. There's a better than good chance it will become your new obsession. Hell, there are even rumors that the show caused a veteran lead man from some band to lose his place in the middle of song he knows all too well.....

yeah, my hunch is that it will take less than a month!

One thing to consider is not listening to any of the audio commentary on the episodes until you are done with that season at least. Although very interesting, those things are just full of spoilers.

I know this has been posted before but:

I'm in the middle of season three. During a scene at Councilman C's house , Hoodoo Voodoo is playing in the background!! My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

friggin GREAT television, and yes, it is my new (latest) obesession!