I would also recommend, if you haven't seen them, Homicide:Life On The Street and Generation Kill.

I think I've seen all of Homicide. I think my Dad and I were the only guys watching when it was on. It was like a ritual and he always drank all my beer.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post and a half with nothing to do with The Wire?

shotgunomar.jpg

That scar on the right side of his face is real...a scary motherfucker

Yeah the scar helps the character - but have you heard the actor interviewed? Not a scary dude at all, and the scar came from a broken bottle in a bar fight way back in the day.

That Terry Gross interview from a few years back is awesome.

I am part way through Season 2 right now - and I also watch The Office. The funny thing about watching both is that Michael Scott's ex-girlfriend and his new boss are both on The Wire.

For about two minutes I thought McNulty was Joe Mayo from Seinfeld. A side by side DVD examination revealed I was wrong.

I didn't see this mentioned.. if you are a fan of The Wire, you should really see its precursor miniseries, The Corner. Some of the same actors are in it. It's incredibly good.

:thumbup

I still have the half-finished book laying around here somewhere. It's good, but I couldn't get into as much as I could Homicide. Great mini-series, though....

What season are you on now? Is that still season 1?

Yep, season one. I'm at the mercy of Netflix and a girl clogging up the queue. Its incredible. I'm thinking about breaking up with Whit so I can get the DVDs faster!

Yep, season one. I'm at the mercy of Netflix and a girl clogging up the queue. Its incredible. I'm thinking about breaking up with Whit so I can get the DVDs faster!

Probably a good idea. Nobody is worth the stilted consumption of "The Wire" :)

Glad you are enjoying it as well. Don't let Season 2 throw you off when you get to it, I really like that season a lot, but some do not. It does kind of take a different turn and angle than the rest of the seasons. Just enjoy it for what it is... and Beanie!

I find myself cheating a little bit to prepare myself for season 2. I've read a few things about the shift. Man's gotta do something waiting for Netflix!

i am still on season 1 and hooked.

what's so different about season 2 (without giving anything away)? is it just a shift in the focus of the characters, new characters? just curious.

They introduce the docks, and all the characters surrounding the politics and realities of that dying industry and the lengths that the people in that industry will go to protect it. It's a cool sub-story, but as you watch the rest of the series, minus a couple key characters, you don't hear much from that story line again. The rest of the seasons have common threads running through them. Season 2 is kind of the exception.