Surprigingly GOOD concerts?

I actually saw Richard Marx last night. I friend works for an organization (Zacharias Center) that put on a benefit and I went. He was not bad, but barely broke a sweat. Except for a few hits that I recognized it was like taking a trip back to an earlier time that I didn't remember, which was fine.

I didn't stay for the entire 90 minute set, but it was fun to be at the HOuse of Blues without a crowd. I don't go there if I can help it, but it is a nice place.

LouieB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd have to agree on the colin hay. saw him about 4 or 5 years ago and the taste of minnesota. he played before rick springfield. so 99% of the people in the audience were there to see rick (complete with 'jesse's girl' t-shirts.). besides colin's great music, he ripped on these people quite a bit. i could've done without colin's wife spinning around like a hippy at a phish show.

i'd have to agree on the colin hay. saw him about 4 or 5 years ago and the taste of minnesota. he played before rick springfield. so 99% of the people in the audience were there to see rick (complete with 'jesse's girl' t-shirts.). besides colin's great music, he ripped on these people quite a bit. i could've done without colin's wife spinning around like a hippy at a phish show.

rick springfield is great

i'd love to see him

I don't think it is suprising that Morphine would be good. I miss them a lot. There shows were awewsome. Mark Sandman's stage banter was the best!

Indeed. A huge loss. While on the topic, does anyone have any good Morphine recordings? The official "Bootleg: Detroit" release is ok, but not spectacular.

No brickbats from me. I would love to have seen these guys in their prime.

None from me either re: Hall and Oates. I was deeply in love with Abandoned Luncheonette and I did see them perform in those days. A few times. Loved 'em. They're still in business, too.

OK, I never saw this on The Daily Show from December 2008 ... :lol

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Hall & Oates Pay Tribute to Alan Colmes
comedycentral.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesImportant Things w/ Demetri MartinPolitical Humor
Guest Jules
Nice! Did you know the lead singer gave up his career as a musician to pursue a career in Aussie politics? I guess he's the Minister of Environmental Affairs or some such now.

Yeah, he's some kind of genius or something. They really put on a show.

brilliant Wendell....I too love Abandoned Luncheonette on my top 25 albums of all time. Certainly captures a beautiful moment in time.

As to the question, at hand, my answers are by decade.

70's:Van Halen on a bill with Cheap Trick and Bob Seger.....I turned to my fella and said WTF was that :stunned

Same thin as above for ACDC

80's: GNR club in LA dragged there by a friend...the rest, as they say was history.

90's: Los Lobos, have been seeing them every since when every I can.

00's: The Hold Steady. Didn't get them on record or by reputation...was blown away. MMJ(thannk you Wendy and Ms.Yvonne!)

I'm sure there are ton's of others but those are the what just happened moments this a.m.

There's nothing worse than being at a festival type show and a great band is playing before some shitty headliner.

When we saw Sloan and Doves, it was at some music festival in the Detroit area. 89x fest or something. Anyways, Dashboard Confessional were up next and all any of the emo losers in the crowd did was to boo at Sloan and Doves and say how much they sucked.

Indeed. A huge loss. While on the topic, does anyone have any good Morphine recordings? The official "Bootleg: Detroit" release is ok, but not spectacular.

I have ~10 or so Morphine shows if you're interested. Most are audience recordings, but they've always sounded good to my ears. There should be a link to my etree list in my profile.

Strangely enough, I heard both Uncle Tupelo and Wilco for the first time at shows where they were the opening band and I'd never heard anything by either band before. UT opening for Teenage fanclub and Wilco for Cracker. Both were eye-opening to say the least.

King Crimson in 96 (?) at Nautica in Cleveland's Flats was really good, too. My then BF now Husband was a huge fan. Every guy I've ever been serious with has been huge in to King Crimnson or Adrian Belew or Robert Fripp.

:cheers Sounds to me like you have excellent taste in guys.

Crimson - the only band my wife will not tolerate. :ohwell

You know... those shows you were dragged to by someone, or went to on a lark? But then the band wound up blowing you away? Or at least they far surpassed expectations?

I will take whatever brickbats are necessary for this...

Hall and Oates --- These guys were really, REALLY good. Saw them before they got big (on the Beauty on a Backstreet Tour which had a really punk rock attitude) and after they got really big (about the time of Private Eyes which was much more R&B than pop fluf). MTV made a lot of bands popular and gave them images they couldn't overcome. Hall and Oates were certainly victims of that backlash. They could bring it and they had a great band (G. E. Smith , Charles DeChant and T. Bone Wolk were at the top of their game).

Primal Scream:

I was always kinda lukewarm on them. And, when they showed up 1.5 hours late for a midnight show, I was prepared to just freaking hate them (as was the entire crowd at Metro that night).

But then, they started playing.

By 30 seconds into the first song, every damn person in the club -- including bouncers, sound engineers, and bartenders -- were rocking our ASSES off!!! Amazing show!

A heads-up:

Primal Scream are on-tour and coming to Metro in April!!!

Check your local listings...

I wasn't expecting the White Stripes to be awesome. I just didn't think they could produce a big sound without a bass. Boy was I wrong. I've never heard a louder, heavier, dirtier, bassier, guitar sound than I did at that show. It was pretty damn awesome.

Plus the drummer was fun to watch. :wub

i went to the Dean and Britta Warhol Screen Tests the other night (they play songs while a projected film of one of Warhol's screen tests focuses on a person's face) and it was amazingly good...Dean's always had a pretty deep VU streak in his playing and songwriting and they were the perfect band for this project.

i went to the Dean and Britta Warhol Screen Tests the other night (they play songs while a projected film of one of Warhol's screen tests focuses on a person's face) and it was amazingly good...Dean's always had a pretty deep VU streak in his playing and songwriting and they were the perfect band for this project.

Was that at the ICA in Boston? I thought about going but never made it.

BTW, I saw your Throwing Muses photos and thought they were great. I also thought the show was great.

I'm routinely blown away by bands whose live shows I discount ahead of time as pop fluff lacking any ass kicking ability, only to be promptly educated at the subsequent show. I could rattle off dozens of examples, but here's a random one just for fun:

Lush - Lollapalooza '92. Took the stage right before Pearl Jam. Felt like about 1% of the crowd knew their material, but they rocked as hard as anyone else at that show until Ministry literally burned half the place down several hours later. Studio pop sounds altogether different on a festival stage with the amps on 11.

Stars in Toronto three years ago, didn't go in expecting too much but I thought they were a really really slick live band with damn catchy tunes.

Another good example. I finally saw them last may, and raved about it here. Good showmanship, strong performance, and many tunes rocked much harder than studio cuts. Oh - and Amy was more than willing to leave the tour bus afterwards to chat with fans.

Stage presence and just the general mood can make or break a show.

And on the downside, just about every escapist/concept/grandoise studio album I've loved has been a massive dud live, with very few exceptions. Pumpkins, anyone?

Was that at the ICA in Boston? I thought about going but never made it.

BTW, I saw your Throwing Muses photos and thought they were great. I also thought the show was great.

yeah, it was at the ICA...i've only seen Galaxie 500 once, and was never a huge fan of Luna but that night was really really good...i'll probably spring for the DVD when it comes out.

thanks for the kind words re: the throwing muses.