trust me, it is. Dino Jr played before MBV @ ATP last year, and MBV was by far the loudest band i've ever been close to. louder than Boris, than Dino Jr, than Mogwai...probably Swans would be the only louder band ever to play.

this terrifies me, but not as much as it excites me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trust me, it is. Dino Jr played before MBV @ ATP last year, and MBV was by far the loudest band i've ever been close to. louder than Boris, than Dino Jr, than Mogwai...probably Swans would be the only louder band ever to play.

one thing to remember , the soundboard guys were gonna make sure MBV were the loudest. they were the headliners, and supposedly "the loudest band around."

I'll submit A Place To Bury Stranger as one really loud band that would give these bands mentioned a run for their money.

I have a musician friend who always complains at concerts that the opening band doesn't sound as good as they should because the sound people tweak the system to make sure they don't upstage the headliner. Is that sort of thing true? It always drives me crazy when he rants about it.

I have a musician friend who always complains at concerts that the opening band doesn't sound as good as they should because the sound people tweak the system to make sure they don't upstage the headliner. Is that sort of thing true? It always drives me crazy when he rants about it.

I'm not sure it's that as much as the fact that the opener is playing through their own amps but into the headliner's system which was probably designed for the headliner's amps. Or something like that.

• 1 year later...

"Loudest band" is not something anyone should aspire to.

The only reason to try to be the loudest is to cover up the fact that you suck.

Fortunately for Dinosaur Jr., they don't suck.

"Loudest band" is not something anyone should aspire to.

The only reason to try to be the loudest is to cover up the fact that you suck.

Fortunately for Dinosaur Jr., they don't suck.

normally i would tend to agree w/ you, but the sheer volume of the MBV set i saw was strangely affecting in a most physical way, esp during the infamous 'noise holocaust' portion of "You Made Me Realise." it certainly helped that the venue had a great sound system and wasn't just high-end screech and distortion. i must say that i've never felt anything like it, though the Altar set that Sunn O))) and Boris played came close (coincidentally also at the same venue).

it certainly helped that the venue had a great sound system and wasn't just high-end screech and distortion.

This is an important consideration. I have less of a problem with extreme loudness if the sound system can keep up with it. Most can't -- or the guy running the board is more interested in gratuitous noise than a good house mix.

90% (or more) of the rock shows I've ever been to would have been greatly improved simply by turning the volume down.

If they are louder than the Judas Priest concert I attended, I really don't want any part of it. Of course that was at the denver pavilion where they have the annual stock show, not the best sound in there.

the noise holocaust portion is also more of a social experiment/endurance test than actual music...for those unfamiliar, it's about a 20-25 minute onslaught of pure noise, guitar/bass/drums/effects pedals, coupled w/ blinding strobes etc. absolutely no discernible elements of melody or harmony whatsoever.

my wife walked out after about 10 minutes.

the promoters were wise enough to hand out free ear plugs prior to their set (and take into consideration that both Mogwai and Dinosaur Jr played before MBV...yeah, that was a loud night):

p24717068-4.jpg

• 1 year later...

From Pitchfork:

http://pitchfork.com/news/45352-listen-j-mascis-and-the-electronic-anthology-project-do-dinosaur-jrs-tarpit-synth-pop-style/

's catalog has been
reissued
and celebrated with
full-album tours
. But,
as previously reported
, J Mascis will now look back on his career in a very different way.

Mascis has teamed up with Built to Spill bassist Brett Nelson's
Electronic Anthology Project
to remake nine Dinosaur Jr. songs as full-blown synth-pop. "Tarpit" from 1987's
You're Living All Over Me
is the first taste.

The album will be released in a limited-edition run of 500 purple vinyl records, out April 21 for
Record Store Day
. A digital, CD, and standard vinyl release will follow.

The Electronic Anthology Project of Dinosaur Jr.
:

01 Sludgefest

02 Pond Song

03 Raisans

04 In a Jar

05 The Lung

06 Kracked

07 Tarpit

08 Little Fury Things

09 Feel the Pain

At the link you can stream a version of Tarpit. I think it sounds pretty cool ...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Lucky enough to be up front for the first of seven straight at the Bowery Ballroom.

Henry Rollins introducing band from balcony.

Ripped thru Dinosaur (like they will every nite).

Special guests.

Steve Gunn (yeah we know)

Eleanor Friedberger (get me)

Kurt Vile (crumble & Cortez the killer)

Kim Gordon (don't)

Wasn't there last night but guests included Lee Ranaldo, Frank Black & Fred Armisen.

Highly recommended you get to one if you can. 4 more after tonite!!!

At our family Hanukkah gathering last night, my son (16) excitedly played "Freak Scene" for his younger cousins (13 and 10), who were wholly unimpressed and only mildly interested.

I watched from the hallway while my son banged his head and played air drums along to the song, in his own world, and my niece and nephew just kinda sat there next to him and looked at each other and shrugged. It was like something from a Wes Anderson movie, music and all. Quite amazing.