Why I hate country music

I'm surprised no one's mentioned BR549! Love them. I've seen them twice. Once with Gary Bennett and once since he left the band in 2001. Great, real. country music, if you ask me. Haven't heard any of their more recent albums though.

Saw them open for the Black Crowes and they tore it up. I had never heard of them but they they got the crowd on their side. They came out and said "don't be afraid, it's just some hillbilly music".

There is a great interview with Kristofferson in the new Rolling Stone. It's written by Ethan Hawke. Describes a run in with an unnamed person who I can only assume was Toby Keith.

I mean good lord, what a resume:

U.S. Army Airborne Ranger, boxer, profesional helicopter pilot, Rhodes Scholar, and amazing songwriter. He's a bad man.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them open for the Black Crowes and they tore it up. I had never heard of them but they they got the crowd on their side. They came out and said "don't be afraid, it's just some hillbilly music".

There is a great interview with Kristofferson in the new Rolling Stone. It's written by Ethan Hawke. Describes a run in with an unnamed person who I can only assume was Toby Keith.

U.S. Army Airborne Ranger, boxer, profesional helicopter pilot, Rhodes Scholar, and amazing songwriter. He's a bad man.

It is - he is going off about that in the media now.

Thanks for mentioning - found it here: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/kriskr...ast_outlaw_poet

I read that Toby Keith wants to beat Hawke up (or at least Keith is pissed). The whole fiasco made Kristofferson issue a statement:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...D2r3bgD97D5FCG0

"I would like to state for the record that I am friends with Ethan Hawke, Toby Keith and Tennessean reporter Peter Cooper. Although I do not remember the events at Willie's birthday party as reported in Rolling Stone, what does it matter?" he asked. "That was six years ago. I spoke to Ethan before I put out my statement and thanked him for the beautiful story he wrote for Rolling Stone and I also told him I did not recall the incident at Willie's birthday party. This is the last statement I will put out about this nonsense."

I did see BR549 open up for Dylan in 1997. Ani DiFranco was on the same bill. Great, great night of music.

I read that this weekend. Awesome interview.

"You're doing to country music what pantyhose did to finger fucking."

I thought that was pretty damn funny! Toby Keith's a tool.

I remember when I read some of his story for the first time, that I thought someone had vandalized the Wikipedia page - that seems like too much for one lifetime!

I remember when I read some of his story for the first time, that I thought someone had vandalized the Wikipedia page - that seems like too much for one lifetime!

Yeah, kind of makes me feel inadequate.

I've never really cared that much for the music of Kris Kristofferson.

Ouch.

I'm going to see him this weekend. I've been on a huge KK kick as of late. Spooky Lady's Sideshow, Kristofferson, The Silver Tongued Devil and I, and Jesus Was a Capricorn are pretty amazing albums in my humble opinion.

im prolly gonna get knocked down for this but i kinda enjoy Kenny Chesney. some friends dragged me to one of his shows back in '05, i think, and the guy has some catchy numbers. that song, Anything But Mine, melts my heart every time i hear it. i think his live shows and the whole image surrounding him are a tad absurd.

also, Garth Brooks and George Strait are 2 "newer" acts i rarely tire of.

i really enjoy garth brooks. maybe it's because i used to listen to him so much growing up i have such great memories of his music. i saw him live in 1997, maybe a week after dylan (in the same venue too). both played to make you feel my love. they couldn't have been different. that garth show was amazing too.

It seems to me all the "new country" songs are nothing more than some redneck anthem.

Nothing more than a song whose point is to make the crowd sing-a-long with your BEER raised HIGH.

The labels have found a niche and cram it down the throats of their $$$$ base.

It seems most (still talking corporate radio country) are all songs written in the first person.

You may find a few 2nd person, as in a love song. Very, very hard to find a song written in

a 3rd person format. Sing me a story, dammit !

Ouch.

I'm going to see him this weekend. I've been on a huge KK kick as of late. Spooky Lady's Sideshow, Kristofferson, The Silver Tongued Devil and I, and Jesus Was a Capricorn are pretty amazing albums in my humble opinion.

Please pm or post a review. Next Friday for me. Getting pretty stoked about it. Saw Bruce in Tulsa Tuesday and KK is next.