Why I hate country music

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/

WKCR-FM NY is proud to present the 2009 Country Music Festival: Perspectives In Country Music. WKCR will be airing this festival continuously both on-air and on web streams from 12:00 PM Friday, April 10th until Sunday, 12 AM April 12th, a total of 60 hours. Tune in to 89.9 FM on your dial or wkcr.org to listen.

In keeping with this year's theme, our programming will be split into daily focuses on a particular perspective in country music: Friday will be devoted to "Songwriters," Saturday to "Musicians

Well this didn't take long. I love that he was "met with catcalls of 'Here comes the gravy.'"

From the AP:

Billy Bob Thornton's band cancels Canadian tour

AP

TORONTO – Billy Bob Thornton's band has canceled the rest of its Canadian tour after the actor compared the country's fans to mashed potatoes with no gravy in a testy interview that caused a sensation online.

The Boxmasters opened for Willie Nelson on Thursday in Toronto, where they reportedly were booed and met with catcalls of "Here comes the gravy."

A note posted on Nelson's Web site Friday said the Boxmasters were canceling the rest of their Canadian dates "due to one band member and several of the crew having the flu."

The cancellation came two days after Thornton made world headlines with a belligerent appearance on CBC radio's "Q."

The actor apparently didn't like that host Jian Ghomeshi started the interview with references to Thornton's Hollywood career.

Thornton refused to answer many of Ghomeshi's questions directly, mumbling: "I don't know what you're talking about." He later said Ghomeshi's producers had been told ahead of time not to talk about his film career.

Thornton also had some unkind words for Canadian crowds.

"Canadian audiences seem to be very reserved," he told Ghomeshi. "We tend to play places where people throw things at each other. Here, they just sort of sit there. And it doesn't matter what you say to 'em. ... It's mashed potatoes but no gravy."

Before his Thursday night gig, Thornton tried to clarify those remarks, saying he loved Canada and his "mashed potatoes" comment had been aimed at Ghomeshi.

Media around the world delighted in the story. Entertainment Weekly's Web site ran the headline, "Billy Bob Thornton: What's his problem?"

I've read some speculation that the whole deal was a put-on.

Well that does not bode well for his music cred, then. Opening up for Willie Nelson at Massey Hall sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me.

Please pm or post a review. Next Friday for me. Getting pretty stoked about it. Saw Bruce in Tulsa Tuesday and KK is next.

KK was excellent. It was just him, an acoustic guitar, his harmonicas, and his songs/stories. It's hard to believe he is 72 years old. He has a very commanding stage presence. His voice sounded excellent. A few times in the middle of a song he noticed he had the wrong harmonica and made sure to let us know, once humming the harmonica part instead. It appeared he is battling a cold, as he frequently blew his nose into a handkerchief. He kept apologizing for it, remarking, "You didn't pay all this money to see an old man blow his nose." He hit the stage sharply at 8:00pm, so make sure you are there when your tickets say the show starts. He basically played The Essential Kris Kristofferson with songs from This Old Road, A Moment of Forever, and some new stuff he's working on sprinkled in. Made some political comments here and there. Played straight through for a little over an hour and a half. Came out and played a three song encore. All in all a wonderful evening.

I love a lot of the so called classic Country stuff like: Hank, Tammy, Ray Price, George Jones, Jim Reeves, Waylon, Merle, and Loretta. I also really love the outlaw country artists like Kris, Willie, Merle, Waylon, and the whole Texas scene (Rodney Crowell, Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Flatlanders, Steve Young, Townes.) So much great music that falls into or near the Country category.

There's some artists that kind of border Country that I love too, like Lee Hazlewood. Anyone else a fan?

KK was excellent. It was just him, an acoustic guitar, his harmonicas, and his songs/stories. It's hard to believe he is 72 years old. He has a very commanding stage presence. His voice sounded excellent. A few times in the middle of a song he noticed he had the wrong harmonica and made sure to let us know, once humming the harmonica part instead. It appeared he is battling a cold, as he frequently blew his nose into a handkerchief. He kept apologizing for it, remarking, "You didn't pay all this money to see an old man blow his nose." He hit the stage sharply at 8:00pm, so make sure you are there when your tickets say the show starts. He basically played The Essential Kris Kristofferson with songs from This Old Road, A Moment of Forever, and some new stuff he's working on sprinkled in. Made some political comments here and there. Played straight through for a little over an hour and a half. Came out and played a three song encore. All in all a wonderful evening.

Cool, looking forward to Friday. No comments about Koby Teeth?

Former lurker here..first time posting.

Couldn't agree more about "commercial" country. Can't bring myself to listen.

Suprised not seeing any support for one of my favorites and not sure how well she's received here on the boards.

Lucinda Williams to me today is what country music should be great writing from the heart and good story telling. She gets no commercial airplay from what I know and is more "country" than the commercial country artists listed in previous posts.

Have seen her once in concert and wasn't disappointed at all. Have heard stories of spotty shows in the past and consider myself lucky to see her support West in Northhampton MA.

I find myself listening to Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, Wilco, Son Volt, Gram, Jayhawks etc. Mostly "Alt/Country" or whatever it's called today.