Why I hate country music

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S.

Billy Joe Shaver is my dad's first cousin. He was recently indicted for shooting a guy in the face. He got in a bar fight in my home town of Lorena, Tx. That's real country(ha, ha). I think the best album Waylon ever did was an album of Billy Joe covers called Honky Tonk Heroes.

I have all of B.J. Shaver's CDs. Hard to pick a fave, but I'd mention Victory as a great start.

There's a line in the next Dylan album that goes like this: "I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver / I'm reading James Joyce / Some people they tell me / I've got the blood of the land in my voice."

As for Waylon Jennings, my favorite album is Dreaming My Dreams (I only have a few, but I have Honky Tonk Heroes too).

Why I love country music: Dwight Yoakum (and a host of others)

Why I hate country music: Rascal Flattts

Do you know how many people would make that backwards? Well, my sister would. Awful. Bad sister.

wikipedia:

Bert Berns died in 1967, before Janis Joplin even released the song. He also wrote "Twist and Shout" and a bunch of other well known songs.

Jerry Ragovoy is still kicking.

Jerry has done well for himself too. I am sure he is pleased with anything Faith Hill does. She sells boatloads of records.

LouieB

what are some good country artists out now?

Hayes Carll

Dwight Yoakam

Willie Heath Neal

Ryan Bingham

Robbie Fulks

Gillian Welch

Old Crow Medicine Show

Justin Townes Earle

Todd Snider

Buddy Miller (new album with wife Julie, Written in Chalk, is excellent)

Rodney Crowell

Steve Earle (less so these days)

Guy Clark (Still going)

Kris Kristofferson (I enjoy This Old Road, released a few years ago)

Eddie Spaghetti/The Supersuckers

As Kris Kristofferson says during the opening of Me & Bobby McGee, "If it sounds country, it's country song."

Do you know how many people would make that backwards? Well, my sister would. Awful. Bad sister.

If I had to venture a percentage guess, it would be 85%.

Alot of the artists mentioned here don't get played on commercial country radio. Justin Townes Earle is great, but not a commercial artist by any stretch of the imagination.

Does anyone have favorites that actually DO get played on mainstream stations. Despite listening to country I never really pay attention to who is played, because I don't really care to buy any records by such artists, even though occasionally I hear a decent song or two.

LouieB

I like The Mavericks. They've got a sound that's tough to pin down. You can hear the "corporate" country in there but there's enough experimentation with other genres to keep them interesting.

Plus, Raul Malo has one of the strongest voices in music today. He did a great covers album I listen to a lot:

raul.jpg

Tracklist:

Blue Bayou Roy Orbison, Joe Melson Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (4:25)

Early Morning Rain Gordon Lightfoot Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (3:38)

The Great Atomic Power Ira Louvin, Charlie Louvin, Buddy Bain Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (2:42)

Weary Blues from Waitin' Hank Williams Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (3:34)

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go Bob Dylan Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (3:45)

Waiting for a Train [instrumental] Jimmie Rodgers Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (2:44)

When I Stop Dreaming Ira Louvin, Charlie Louvin Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (3:53)

Moon River Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (2:42)

Hot Burrito #1 Gram Parsons Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (4:30)

Bright Side of the Road Van Morrison Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (4:18)

(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons William Best, Deek Watson Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, Raul Malo, Dave Pomeroy (3:41)

Alot of the artists mentioned here don't get played on commercial country radio. Justin Townes Earle is great, but not a commercial artist by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess I'm ignoring the "commercial country" part of the equation and going strictly with what I consider to be country that I like.

I love OCMS and Alison Krauss, but I would consider them more bluegrass than country. As for today's country, can't think of anyone I really like, except maybe Hayes Carll. Also, I think Reba McEntire is the worst. Her voice is like nails on a chalk board for me, and I'm southern!

I love OCMS and Alison Krauss, but I would consider them more bluegrass than country. As for today's country, can't think of anyone I really like, except maybe Hayes Carll. Also, I think Reba McEntire is the worst. Her voice is like nails on a chalk board for me, and I'm southern!

Same here, I don't think I have ever turned the dial to a country station in my life.

Now, I gew up with the old man sitting on country am stations in the late '60's, 70's

but I just think that "Nashville sound" is no longer there.

I too would say the "country" I like is more bluegrass driven, followed by a more rock driven sound.

If I can hear a fiddle, a pedal and/or as always the sound and lyrics of Brother Gram then I'm good.

if it's good, then it's good to me.

A band with a touch of that old school (alt) country rock is YARN.

See what you guys think at the link:

Great Live Band too, so check Youtube for some tunes

I like a lot of the post-Parsons/Sweetheart Byrds when Clarence White was with them. Untitled/Unissued cd and the first Byrds Box Set are good places to start for "rock" fans getting into country music. There's enough of a mix so that you feel like it's not straight-up country but more of the rock/country hybrid Gram Parsons preached about in his early years.

I guess I'm ignoring the "commercial country" part of the equation and going strictly with what I consider to be country that I like.

Well not you in particular, but it is easy to fall back to the country-rock/alt-country artists because there are lots of them we all like (me included), but it is really hard to find who of the radio fodder group actually has something going.

Every time we talk about this people start talking about the Byrds/Gram Parsons, etc. who are rock artists first with some country aspects. It is harder to figure out who in Big and Rich land is also worthy of anyone's time and money.

LouieB

Interesting.....

I do believe Chicago no longer has an actual country station. I think the closest one is in Joliet. But leave town and you can find tons of stations that play this music.

LouieB