Why I hate country music

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.....

I do believe Chicago no longer has an actual country station. I think the closest one is in Joliet. But leave town and you can find tons of stations that play this music.

LouieB

US 99 broadcasts from the northside of the city, from what I can tell. It's one of the biggest country stations in the country.

Kristofferson is on tour, maybe now in yer town? He'll be in KC on April 17. I've never seen him. Going for sure.

Caught him for the first time two years ago at an outdoor fest and thought he sounded great. I like the weathered-ness to his voice. That last album of his, This Old Road, is a worthy one, too.

what are some good country artists out now?

True Historians. ;) Just featured on WXRT radio in Chicago on the "Local Anesthetic" program.

Also Gin Palace Jesters and the Hoyle Brothers.

what are some good country artists out now?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned BR549! Love them. I've seen them twice. Once with Gary Bennett and once since he left the band in 2001. Great, real. country music, if you ask me. Haven't heard any of their more recent albums though.

carrie-underwood-2008-grammys.jpg

woah.

(joey lawrance style)

i don't dislike Carrie Underwood so much because she can actually sing, though i haven't cared for much what she has sung as of late.

now Taylor Swift.....uggh. she doesn't even sing with a country accent, it's a purely pop (probably emo) voice.

what does everyone think of Miranda Lambert?

she does actually write most of her material.

I've mentioned them on here before, but I really really dig American Aquarium out of Raleigh, NC. I just saw them again last night, they were playing songs off their new CD (to be released in late April). GREAT STUFF!

myspace for American Aquarium

I saw them with The Whigs. I was very impressed!

US 99 broadcasts from the northside of the city, from what I can tell. It's one of the biggest country stations in the country.
Oh yea.....that's right.....I will have to tune in for a change. I could only think of WCCQ which is out of Joliet and is not something you can get in Chicago.

(As I recall US99 has more commericals than music.)

Cue the Robbie Fulks song "Countrier Than Thou" followed by "Roots Rock Weirdos".

LouieB

After being reminded that Chicago DOES have a country station, I programmed a preset to US99 and I have been doing some research. While commercial country music does still suck, it does have some elements that are actually kind of interesting. After another week or so giving it some time I will talk about what some of those things are, but I continue to be "impressed" with the content of the lyrics, the fact that the songwriters actually write about something and often it is ordinary life, daily stuff. That is bound to appeal to people who want to hear their lives reflected back to them from the music they listen to.

Meanwhile I am watching Raw TV on channel 32 which is a local hip hop show. Kind of interesting.

LouieB

Guest Hollinger.
woah.

(joey lawrance style)

i don't dislike Carrie Underwood so much because she can actually sing, though i haven't cared for much what she has sung as of late.

now Taylor Swift.....uggh. she doesn't even sing with a country accent, it's a purely pop (probably emo) voice.

what does everyone think of Miranda Lambert?

she does actually write most of her material.

I dig Lambert more than most of the typical radio friendly country out there. Saw her opening for Dierks Bentley last year. Underwood has a fantastic voice, I just can't stand most of the shit they write for her. Get some decent brains behind her and she could be great.

Also, Golden Smoghead: thanks for the rec on American Aquarium. I dig it. If you have a full album, let me know... I can't find one anyplace.

Bloodshot Records

APRIL HONKY TONK/SWING SALE!

To celebrate the April 21st release of Juke Joint Swing master Wayne Hancock's new album Viper of Melody (which you can pre-order NOW), we're putting the following 10 releases on deep discount for the entire month.

If you like hardcore honky tonk or rollicking western swing, but done with the characteristic Bloodshot edge, look no further. We offer these up for your enjoyment at rock bottom prices. Load up for some killer house party music and some tear-in-your-beer anthems.

WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! Buy any of these a receive a FREE 9 track digital sampler with all sorts of goodies from upcoming Bloodshot releases.

WAYNE HANCOCK A-Town Blues On Sale for $7.75

WAYNE HANCOCK Swing Time On Sale for $7.75

ROBBIE FULKS South Mouth On Sale for $7.75

ROBBIE FULKS 13 Hillbilly Giants On Sale for $5.75

REX HOBART & The Misery Boys Your Favorite Fool On Sale for $5.75

REX HOBART & The Misery Boys Empty House On Sale for $6.75

PAUL BURCH Fool For Love On Sale for $6.75

PINE VALLEY COSMONAUTS Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills On Sale for 6.75

HANK PENNY Crazy Rhythm On Sale for $5.75

RIPTONES Buckshot On Sale for $5.50

when i was walking around Hasting's the other day i saw that 2 CD reissue of Dwight's Guitars and Cadillacs, etc. etc. for $5.99 brand new I think, so you may look for that if you're interested.