Why I hate country music

I have to think there are a number of young bands playing great Willie-Merle-Johnny-type country out there that are being ignored by the current Nashville suits.

How about Carrie Underwood's version of Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home"? It might replace Marilyn Manson's version of the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" as Worst and Most Unnecessary Cover of All Time.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one here likes Dwight Yoakam?

Love him.

All I know is the Greatest Hits, and dwightyoakamacoustic.net, so I need to dig deeper. But those two collections are pretty great.

The title of this thread is provocating.

I love lots of styles of musics and the country one is clearly one of my favorites.

And there's not Hank Williams only.

And there is good *country pop*. I think my fave country singer is Skeeter Davis. And she's quite country-pop. And of course quite old-fashioned. But she had the finest voice ever, great tunes, nice production... She was totally enchanting.

Can't say if "bad country music" is the worst music in this world, but it's clearly awful.

I don't know if it is still called New Country, but I guess it is still big deal. Or rather, it seems that way with bands making albums directed at the county charts. Two I can think of: Bon Jovi and Darius Rucker.

And there's not Hank Williams only.

Willie Nelson

Waylon Jennings

Johnny Cash

Kris Kristofferson

Jerry Jeff Walker

Guy Clark

Merle Haggard

Townes Van Zandt

George Jones

David Allan Coe

Hayes Carll

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dwight Yoakam

Robbie Fulks

Willie Heath Neal

The Star Room Boys

Hayes Carll

And so many more.

Willie Nelson

Waylon Jennings

Johnny Cash

Kris Kristofferson

Jerry Jeff Walker

Guy Clark

Merle Haggard

Townes Van Zandt

George Jones

David Allan Coe

Hayes Carll

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dwight Yoakam

Robbie Fulks

Willie Heath Neal

The Star Room Boys

Hayes Carll

And so many more.

Among my big faves: Tompall Glaser, Billy Joe Shaver, Steve Young...

That reminds me - I read or saw an interview once with Waylon where he talked about how that Outlaw Country deal was made-up to sell records.
My point exactly...

i'd like to point out that Janis Joplin would be making no money from anyone covering a song written by Jerry Ragovoy and Bert Berns.

Thanks for pointing this out....

I didn't bother to pull my copy of Big Brother to check out the actual writers, but the fact that Janis was singing a song by someone else brings up a pretty large topic about songwriters and singers and how they work hand in hand. Thanks for the heads up on this......so Jerry and Bert are making and money and good for them. I am sure (if they are still alive) don't care how badly Faith Hill fucked up their song. She sells a goddam ton of albums and that's good enough for them I am sure.

LoueiB

I likes the Louvin Brothers. Satan IS real.

Are they the ones that do that one song - I"m drawing a blank.

It sounds like the sweetest harmonized country folk song of all time, but it's talking about murdering their lover and watching them bleed - kinda like Via Chicago thematically.

Can't forget Buck Owens!

Stonewall Jackson has some good songs.

Johnny's brother, Tommy, has the one hit song that is pretty cool about Martin Luther King Jr, JFK and Robert Kennedy.

I always thought they were random names and didn't put it together until I looked for it one day.

"They took you away before you sang your song..."

Guest Jules
I didn't bother to pull my copy of Big Brother to check out the actual writers, but the fact that Janis was singing a song by someone else brings up a pretty large topic about songwriters and singers and how they work hand in hand. Thanks for the heads up on this......so Jerry and Bert are making and money and good for them. I am sure (if they are still alive) don't care how badly Faith Hill fucked up their song. She sells a goddam ton of albums and that's good enough for them I am sure.

LoueiB

wikipedia:

Bert Berns died in 1967, before Janis Joplin even released the song. He also wrote "Twist and Shout" and a bunch of other well known songs.

Jerry Ragovoy is still kicking.

Love him.

All I know is the Greatest Hits, and dwightyoakamacoustic.net, so I need to dig deeper. But those two collections are pretty great.

His early stuff is pretty damn good. Guitars, Cadillacs, etc. & Hillbilly Deluxe. After that it was hit or miss, but still good.

What about Hank III? He ain't new cuntry.

His early stuff is pretty damn good. Guitars, Cadillacs, etc. & Hillbilly Deluxe. After that it was hit or miss, but still good.

What about Hank III? He ain't new cuntry.

Hank III has the sound, but not the songs, IMO.

Very disappointing.

The story that I heard, as hard as it is to believe, is that Faith Hill had never even heard Joplin's version of Piece of My Heart and she wanted to record it without hearing it so as not to bias her one way or the other.

P.S.

Billy Joe Shaver is my dad's first cousin. He was recently indicted for shooting a guy in the face. He got in a bar fight in my home town of Lorena, Tx. That's real country(ha, ha). I think the best album Waylon ever did was an album of Billy Joe covers called Honky Tonk Heroes.