Do any of you have indoor cats that you've leash-trained? I live on the third floor of a condo, so letting my cat out is not an option. She loves to explore though, and I would really like to be able to walk her. My concerns are that she's 10 months now (I wish I'd thought of this when I got her 5 months ago...), she's afraid of people and REALLY afraid of dogs, and people walk dogs a lot around here. Also, judging by the state of my hands and arms whenever I clip her nails, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to get a harness on her and live to tell about it.

Is there anyone out there who has a "scaredy" cat like me and has been able to leash train them?

I don't recommend it. I had a very timid cat that i trained on a harness and leash and the first time i took him outside he got spooked, freaked out, practically choked himself with the leash and bit me five times.

instead get one of these:

kittywalk_pink_pet_stroller_220.jpg

do you have a little porch or deck you can cat proof and let her out there?

We tried with two of our cats, back when they were young, and every time we put the harness on they would just lay down and refuse to move. However, I do know someone who successfully leash trained their kitten and they now go everywhere together. The cat actually looks proud when he walks down the street, like he's saying "Hey, suckers!" to all the other neighborhood cats in windows. :lol

I had another cat that i leash trained. He was wicket cool and loved everyone and wasn't afraid of people or dogs, and he did ok on the leash. I just don't recommend it for a kitty that is scared of people, cars and dogs.

You know, Carlos had a neighbor who put up cat fencing....

Seriously though, the place my mother got her kitten from actually put up this special cat fencing (?) at their shelter. I'll ask her what it is called.

We trained my childhood cat to go for walks on a leash. He loved to go outside and eat grass. With my cat, I had a similar experience as Jen, and my cat freaked out. I never tried it again. I think it depends on the cat's age and temperament. You can train a young cat, but older kitties are more set in their ways.

That pup cart is hilarious!

I had another cat that i leash trained. He was wicket cool and loved everyone and wasn't afraid of people or dogs, and he did ok on the leash. I just don't recommend it for a kitty that is scared of people, cars and dogs.

Yeah, it's a good point. She gets scared when she goes to the vet in her carrier, it would probably not be a good idea to take her out on a leash. She might be OK in a stroller though, probably freak out a bit the first time, but once she realizes stroller walks don't end in shots she'd probably be OK. I just get sad when she sits at the window and stares. Could be she's just watching, though and not necessarily wanting out.

I'm so glad I have VC for advice!

I bought a leash and collar for my cat, but she didn't quite understand what was going on. Now when I harness her, she just plops down on the ground and starts to moan. I have learned that I can just put her outside with no collar and she'll stay relatively close to my side. But I have a decent-sized backyard. I've never tried it out in public with other creatures.

My cat will follow me if I take it outside on a walk. No leash needed. It will also follow any other people outside walking whether they like it or not.

My cat is really a dog in disguise.

In related news, have you seen this video?

We use a harness and leash on my cat. He couldn't care less about dogs and cars are okay. BUT, if a big tuck or something goes by, he darts home. We can walk down the block but he definitely isn't trained. He basically goes outside to randomly sniff things. Sometimes he smells something that freaks him out and he gets a puffy tail. I think that leashing or just going outside in general is only for certain indoor cats. There is a lot of environment to take in!

Yeah, my cat is the opposite of easy-going. She doesn't like to be brushed, doesn't like her nails clipped. She will tolerate getting her ears cleaned with a Qtip. I'm dreading (and procrastinating) her first bath and toothbrushing.

Why on earth would you give a cat a bath?

Dude, those people bathing the cats are fucking whacked. They are treating them like little babies. :o

Also, why on earth would you brush a cat's teeth? Don't they have something they can gnaw on to clean their own teeth?

i have had indoor cats for as long as i can remember and never give them baths and have never been told by a vet to give them baths. i have also been through animal shelter training and volunteered at shelters (in cat care) for years and was never instructed that cats should have baths or told to instruct adoptees of this. the only time i've ever had to give baths is when a cat was outside and had fleas and needed to get rid of the fleas. if you brush regularly and feed quality food, your kitty should be fine without the bath. hope that helps.

:)