Albums that work best when listened to start to finish

The onion just ran a list of 6 albums that should be listened to from start to finish which I thought was interesting:

1. Sinatra - Come fly with me

2. Cursive - Domestica

3. Husker Du - Zen Arcade

4. Pink Floyd - The Wall

5. King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King

6. Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements

I tend to listen to most albums start to finish but certainly there are some that almost need to be. The obvious ones are the concept albums, for example:

Decemberists - Crane Wife, The Hazards of Love

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

What about non concept albums?

I think most albums* work best when heard all the way through, but maybe that's just me.

* Most that I would bother to own, anyway. Britney Spears albums, for example, don't qualify.

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

The Essential Rod Stewart
:lol

Finally a little humor.

I so infrequently have time to listen to an entire album in a row unless I am in my car.

But as long as we are making this goofy suggestion...

A Love Supreme

Tommy

Quadrophenia

Arthur

albums with that actually have a theme....

LouieB

Live Dead. If you're listening to the CD the first 65 minutes are a perfect unbroken suite of tunes that take you from interstellar space to Saturday night at the Apollo.

:lol

Finally a little humor.

Arthur

albums with that actually have a theme....

LouieB

I was actually going to mention Arthur. Obviously it's a narrative concept album, but the epic opener and closer as well as pacing warrant mention as well

I rarely put on whole albums anymore without the shuffle feature on the ipod, computer etc. Some I can remember doing recently though...

Queen is Dead-The Smiths

Closer-Joy Division

London Calling-The Clash

Automatic For the People-REM

Loaded-VU

Sophtware Slump-Grandaddy

Abbey Road's not so great on shuffle either.

I think most albums* work best when heard all the way through, but maybe that's just me.

* Most that I would bother to own, anyway. Britney Spears albums, for example, don't qualify.

Absolutely! Pretty much all my listening involves listening to the whole record/CD.

Growing up in an era of LPs and cassettes, where we tended to slap it on and only touch it when it had to be flipped probably shaped my listening habits somewhat :).

Absolutely! Pretty much all my listening involves listening to the whole record/CD.

Growing up in an era of LPs and cassettes, where we tended to slap it on and only touch it when it had to be flipped probably shaped my listening habits somewhat :) .

Same here. I've never used the shuffle thingie on my ipod.

I blame it on 8-tracks. I could probably still tell you where the "cluh-chunks" were in Pink Floyd's The Wall...

the Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (ok, so maybe a concept album)

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde On Blonde

among others.

This is what I always loved about the Afghan Whigs - how their albums felt like such a wonderful journey from beginning to end. Each one is much, much better when listened to as a whole in one sitting.

"Black Love" and "1965" are the two that stand out the most to me in this way... but the same could be said for "Gentlemen" and "Congregation"

Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night.

Neil Young - On the Beach/Tonights the Night.

Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs

Genesis - the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway!!

Decemberists - The hazards of Love

M. Ward - Transistor Radio