Jeff Tweedy 4.4.09, Chicago, IL

My owner and friends had their 5th Anniversary show last night. I have to say it rocked. My favorite parts were lapping up all of the food that was dropped on the floor and listening to the untitled, new album. It was so awesome!! I can't wait for my owner to get it. Thanks, again, Jeff and Susan. You guys are so gracious!! Woof!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was an amazing night, and I'm too tired to do it justice right now. The setlist will be forthcoming, I know. And yes, the album! (Hemispheres, with a photo of Jeff on the cover?) Still in my head are Sonny (?) Feeling, Bull Black Nova, You Never Know. In my opinion, this album does not sound like Sky Blue Sky. I can't wait to hear it again. (Those last two statements: unrelated.) I will definitely have more thoughts on this later.

I also loved the singalong to "Six Months in a Leaky Boat." And "Gun." Jeff was hilarious and in fine form, as always.

My mind is trying to do a thousand things at once. I want some more soft serve.

I'm also too tired to express myself coherently right now, but it was a sensational night. There were many highlights, and I look forward to seeing the set list to remind me of some of them.

I was excited for the album to be released before, but after hearing it last night, the 2.5 month wait feels excruciating. I agree with Brianne: I don't think it sounds like SBS. I also don't think it gives off a "strong country vibe" as Rolling Stone suggested. I love Sky Blue Sky, and I love what I heard last night. They are not, however, alike.

I want some more soft serve.

Mmmmm, soft-serve brownie sundaes, is there a better pot luck item?

Well, sure yes, but still.

I loved the new album, which is pretty unusual on a first listen.

As for the show itself, I'd be hard-pressed to rank order the five years we've done this, but I'm going to say if I did this one would be one of the top ones. The Finn songs and Gun both stand out in my mind, and I was very happy that Barstool Blues slid in there too.

After very little sleep last night I've spent a very chaotic day hanging out with my young nephews and niece. Once my brain recovers I hope I find some more interesting things to add to the thread.

I Wanna Be Your Dog, snoring pugs, beautiful Glad And Sorry with Dave on guitar, and laughter equivelancy of 100 situps. New album was fantastic, company was great, Jeff was in fine form and strong voice, as were many hecklers. Thanks, S&S! Just what I needed after a long hell of a winter...

I was excited for the album to be released before, but after hearing it last night, the 2.5 month wait feels excruciating. I agree with Brianne: I don't think it sounds like SBS. I also don't think it gives off a "strong country vibe" as Rolling Stone suggested. I love Sky Blue Sky, and I love what I heard last night. They are not, however, alike.

Agreed. The "country" tag probably came from the handful of songs with Nels on the slide, but if that's country, I'd like to know which country we're talking about (or planet, even).

There were many highlights, and I look forward to seeing the set list to remind me of some of them.

Here you go, Ms. Tambourine. :lol Glad you guys had a good time!

That Year

Flatness

I'm A Wheel

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Summer Teeth

Pot Kettle Black

Christ For President

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

Sky Blue Sky

Six Months in a Leaky Boat [split Enz (Tim Finn)]

I Got You [split Enz (Neil Finn)]

Jesus, etc.

I'm Always In Love

---------pee break-----------

Radio King

I Can't Keep From Talking

Barstool Blues [Neil Young]

Woodgrain

More Like The Moon

Glad and Sorry [Faces] (w/Dave Mirabella on guitar and background vocals]

Laminated Cat

Fake Plastic Trees [Radiohead] (w/Hamilton Sims on guitar and background vocals]

At My Window Sad and Lonely

Blood of the Lamb

How To Fight Loneliness

--------album listening---------

I Wanna Be Your Dog [The Stooges]

Gun

California Stars

Dreaming [blondie]

Sir Duke [stevie Wonder]--Martin Rivas on guitar and vocals (Jeff's request)

What a wonderful show! Great requests and Jeff sounded great. There are some really interesting sounds on the new album... I really enjoyed it! It is full of really lush layers .. everyone in the band stands out on the songs at different points.

On a food note: the soft serve machine MUST become a pre-show staple. It was so delicious. I regret missing the stuffed bread and the artichoke dip- I was too full by the time it appeared on the scene.

Also, I didn't say goodbye to everyone when I left so... goodbye!

And yes, the album! (Hemispheres, with a photo of Jeff on the cover?) Still in my head are Sonny (?) Feeling, Bull Black Nova, You Never Know. In my opinion, this album does not sound like Sky Blue Sky. I can't wait to hear it again. (Those last two statements: unrelated.) I will definitely have more thoughts on this later.

:w00t AWESOME that you guys got to hear it.... so jealous!!! So, is that officially the title, then? And I thought "You Never Know" was the 7 worlds collide song, no?

Ha, no, the Hemispheres title (and reference to Jeff being on the cover, pointing) was a joking allusion to the Rush album. And yes, I was trying to figure out why You Never Know seemed familiar, and I think it must have been because I listened to that recording of the last Auckland 7WC show. It seems that song is on the Wilco record.

Ha, no, the Hemispheres title (and reference to Jeff being on the cover, pointing) was a joking allusion to the Rush album. And yes, I was trying to figure out why You Never Know seemed familiar, and I think it must have been because I listened to that recording of the last Auckland 7WC show. It seems that song is on the Wilco record.

:blush Oh, not too familiar with Rush and thier career. Was there any mention of the title name? Just curious... though, I guess you would've said if there was one.

I'm so thrilled that "You Never Know" is going to be on the album! Love that song!

Sounds like an excellent time. Is the album completely mastered and sequenced? Would it be impolite to ask if anyone could venture a stab at the tracklisting?

--Mike

Jeff said the record hasn't been mastered yet. I guess I probably should have taken note of the sequence in which we heard the tracks, but I didn't because I was too preoccupied with listening. :pirate

That said, here's a very cursory stab at the tracks in the order we heard them (which I'm pretty sure Jeff said was going to be the sequence):

1) Wilco the Song

2) Bull Black Nova

3) One Wing

4) You and I

5) Solitaire

6) You Never Know

7) I'll Fight (a/k/a Conscript)

8) Deeper Down

9) My Country Disappeared

10) Sunny Feeling

11) Everlasting Everything

Anyway, those are definitely the songs we heard that were presented as "the new record." I'm pretty confident I've got the first couple and last couple in the right order, but some things in the middle are probably a little jumbled up. Please correct me if someone has a better memory. :thumbup

And as to the question about whether it's a "loud" album, I'm not sure exactly what that refers to, but Jeff did want to make sure that we listened to it at a suitably high volume. It kind of reminded me of that sample at the start of, I believe, Dr. Dre's "Lyrical Gangbang" that goes, "This should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area." :lol

> That Year and Flatness? I would kill to hear those songs solo. Lucky...

i'm surprised he remembers them!

he played That Year on Nov 18, 1997 during a solo show after some yelled out "NO TUPELO!" then he mentioned that he wrote it when he was 6 years old!

When you wake up feeling old is always nice to hear