Wilco a Chicago band?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they're actually a St. Louis band which has relocated to Chicago and has now made (for some time) Chicago their home base

They had their first shows in St. Louis and didn't make it to Chicago until 1995 or so

Louie....how do you not consider Smashing Pumpkins in that group

2/3 of them live in Chicago...it is up to you to figure which 2/3.

To give a slightly longer answer, I am of the opinion that they represent the most famous branch of the great Chicago rock/post-rock school that started in the late 80s to early 90s. Other members would include Shrimp Boat, The Coctails, Seam, Tortoise, Califone, Red Red Meat, Eleventh Dream Day, the Handsome Family, the Sea and Cake, the Jesus Lizard and any number of early Bloodshot and Touch and Go and Thrill Jockey bands. I would NOT include the Smashing Pumpkins as part of this however, but that's just me.

LouieB

Urge Overkill? Man, I loved that band.

camper van beethoven
Not from Chicago...
Louie....how do you not consider Smashing Pumpkins in that group
I just don't. There are lots of rock groups from Chicago.

Urge Overkill? Man, I loved that band.
Urge belonged to the Wicker Park scene, along with Liz Phair.

My idea, just like any, has some holes. Whereas groups like Urge Overkill and Smashing Pumpkins were pretty much standard issue rock bands, Wilco, Califone, Sea and Cake, (Gastr del Sol, etc. etc.) I think of as having a bit more thought and conception behind them and not simply regular old rock bands. There was also a fairly important punk type scene that flourished a few years earlier and I don't consider that the same either. But many of these groups have some overlap, obviously.

LouieB

Guest Jules
Well they're actually a St. Louis band which has relocated to Chicago and has now made (for some time) Chicago their home base

They had their first shows in St. Louis and didn't make it to Chicago until 1995 or so

In other words, right after they were formed.

No, I don't think it was random - check the opening credits: Chicagomania

My point exactly. I thought it was well known that Bob Newhart was based in Chicago and that's obviously why Wilco chose that music. Maybe it was not as well known as I thought.

My point exactly. I thought it was well known that Bob Newhart was based in Chicago and that's obviously why Wilco chose that music. Maybe it was not as well known as I thought.

I can't imagine anybody thinking that was a random choice. It seems to me like an obvious tribute to Chicago... and a great show. I forgot how pretty Suzanne Planchette (sp?) was! Go Bob! There's even a shot of the YHF cover in that opening scene... of course it wasn't random.

Uncle Tupelo you could possibly consider a St. Louis band, Wilco is most definitely a Chicago band.

I love Chicago, the most beautiful city, but none of the "current" members of the greatest band in the world, are from Chicago. We all know Jeff's orgins, John is from my neck of the woods and shows it in his playing(N.O.)and those are the originals. I'm going to play off of the current lineup so: Nels-Cali, Pat and I went to the same college(University of Southern Mississippi), Glenn-not Chi but great drum corp in Kentucky,Mikael you can call your own I guess but I like to think of Wilco as all of ours, Sure their center point is in Chicago now but I think they have grown into America...I don't think you can put them in a town or a scene...They are WILCO

I love Chicago, the most beautiful city, but none of the "current" members of the greatest band in the world, are from Chicago. We all know Jeff's orgins, John is from my neck of the woods and shows it in his playing(N.O.)and those are the originals. I'm going to play off of the current lineup so: Nels-Cali, Pat and I went to the same college(University of Southern Mississippi), Glenn-not Chi but great drum corp in Kentucky,Mikael you can call your own I guess but I like to think of Wilco as all of ours, Sure their center point is in Chicago now but I think they have grown into America...I don't think you can put them in a town or a scene...They are WILCO
they're an American band

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa

they're an American band

they're coming to your town

they'll help ya party down

they're an American band

:thumbup In a great song that has more cheese than a Stuffed Crust pizza, this line is the cheesiest:

Now these fine ladies, they had a plan

They was out to meet the boys in the band

They said, "Come on dudes, let's get it on!"

And we proceeded to tear that hotel down

When the song came out, I remember thinking how cool that line was. "Oh yeah, they GOT IT ON!!!"

:D Ah, youth.

You are wrong about that.

Glenn was born in Roselle, IL (a Chicago suburb) and went to high school in Roselle, IL. He studied percussion and attended college in KY before returning to Chicago, where he taught percussion and joined the Chicago music scene, including in particular Jim O'Rourke (a Chicago musician) who introduced him to Jeff.

That's pretty "Chi' to me.