Wilco's Setlists

I don't want to come across as a grumpy Wilco hater. 'Cause I'm not...at all.

Rather I think we can HELP Wilco. (Not that they care what some stupid fansite blogger thinks about their sets, but I seriously think Wilco can and should spice up thier setlists.)

It's hard to be TOO critical of Wilco's current setlist, as the band probably doesn't want every new tune circulating youtube and elsewhere. But based on just the first Milwaukee show, the songs don't seem that different than what was played last year. It seems they have 40-50 songs that they pull from, when there's SO many other songs that are at least as good.

These guys are super talented and creative. Why not pick out 5-10 less-played nuggets from their big catalog?

And why not play 2 or 3 cover songs? (I'm pulling songs out of my butt, but imagine the response if they played Little Anthony's "Tears on my Pillow" or The Replacements' "Within Your Reach" or Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman" or Jim Croce's "Operator" or Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers".....)

I can think of a ton of Wilco songs that are rarely or never played that I think would be refreshing in theirs sets:

I Must Be High

I Though I Held You

Passenger Side

Dash 7

Hotel Arizona

Dreamer in My Dreams

Hoodoo Voodoo

Feed Of Man

Secret of the Sea

Joe Dimaggio's Done if Again

Can't Stand It

Pieholden Sutie

How To Fight Loneliness

Summerteeth

Candy Floss

Venus Stop the Train

Panthers

Leave Me Like You Found Me

Just A Kid

Crack a Smile

Diamond Claw

Hummingbird (the Wilco Book version)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, dude? After one show?

No, not just one show. Rather, the past 1-2 years worth of shows. We'll see. I'll gladly eat crow if the setlists evolve.

But I thought last night might hint at SOMETHING fresh.....but I see no evidence (outside of the couple new songs).

Guest Jules
No, not just one show. Rather, the past 1-2 years worth of shows. We'll see. I'll gladly eat crow if the setlists evolve.

But I thought last night might hint at SOMETHING fresh.....but I see no evidence (outside of the couple new songs).

Go back a few years and actually look at the setlists. I think 07-08 was pretty damn good in comparison (diversity, rarities, etc).

I really don't have a strong opinion but reading 'Candyfloss' in your list reminded me of how ever since the Summerteeth tour, my wish has been to hear/see 'Candyfloss' live. I have seen Wilco many times but have never caught one of the odd shows where they busted it out. :(

I agree with you I would even go back as far as 2001-2003 with this comment. No matter how many times I have seen Wilco since the Yankee and Ghost Tour I have always heard Shot, Spiders, I'm The Man, Jesus, Heavy Metal, IATTBYH, Late Greats, Handshake, Theologians, Hummingbird, California Stars..that is pretty much half a setlist written in stone)....The 5 night residency gave me false hope. Sure occasionly Wilco bust out a long absent song like Box Full of Letters or Wishful Thinking but it is far and few between.

You know what? If they start varying the set list more, inevitably someone will be on here complaining that they didn't play Spiders or Handshake Drugs or whatever they leave out :rolleyes

They can't please everyone..I understand it.... but would it be great if they could please me (Setlist wise) :lol Kidding...

Wilco HAS done a GREAT job over the years of keeping their setlists fresh. Probably better than almost any other band.

But in April of 2009, with a diverse and fantabulous lineup of musicians, awaiting the release of a new album, it seems like the perfect time to toss in 3 or 4 songs that are either rare Wilco songs or covers.

Most of this will probably be moot starting in June. I'd assume by then their sets will have 6-8 songs off the new album.

Comments on these. I could check Wilcobase, but this is just off the top of my head. Basically, half of the songs they DO play.

I Must Be High -- doubt you'll hear it soon

I Though I Held You -- called "dogshit" by Jeff at Residency

Passenger Side -- plays pretty often

Dash 7 -- played at residency

Hotel Arizona -- played at residency and afterwards

Dreamer in My Dreams -- played at residency and afterwards

Hoodoo Voodoo -- plays pretty often

Feed Of Man -- played at least at 1 of this year's LRS, so maybe

Secret of the Sea -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Joe Dimaggio's Done if Again -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Can't Stand It -- played at residency and afterwards

Pieholden Sutie -- played at residency and afterwards

How To Fight Loneliness -- plays pretty often

Summerteeth -- plays pretty often

Candy Floss-- plays pretty often

Venus Stop the Train -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Panthers -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Leave Me Like You Found Me -- I think they have only played this once or twice

Just A Kid -- played at residency and afterwards

Crack a Smile -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Diamond Claw -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Hummingbird (the Wilco Book version) -- doubt you'll hear it soon

Candyfloss is not played 'pretty often'. Once in 2008 during The Residency (so that doesn't really count), none in 2007 and 3 times in 2006 but 2 of those were Tweedy shows and one of those was Hotel S n' S. I wish that they played it often.

I have no real desire to see Wilco perform a few covers. I would rather hear all Wilco songs.

I've recently remarked about the setlists and how I wish Wilco would vary them a little more. But that's merely based on songs I would like to hear as opposed to ones I've heard multiple times.

Edie, I apologize if my above post sounded all 'smartypantsy'. I just want to hear Candyfloss. I saw them several times in '04 and '05 when it did get a little run out but it was never at one of 'my' shows. I have seen them since AM but only lost my mind, roadtrip-wise, starting in 2004. :)

I have no real desire to see Wilco perform a few covers.

That's fine.

But I do. It's cool to hear bands pay tribute to other bands....or merely just a way to say, "hey, we think is is a cool song, and we want to play it."

I missed whatever inside joke there must be with Secret of the Sea.