Wilco Milwaukee 2009-04-15

Thats my only complaint.

They have to know that so many people went to both nights and it was really a buzzkill to hear so many repeats.

I would imagine they know that, just like they know that there were many fans who were only able to attend one of the shows. They can't please everyone.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last time (thanks, Wilcobase) they weren't on tour at all until the month before the album's release. At those shows it looks like they were playing anywhere from 2-5 new songs ... but the album had also streamed in its entirety from WilcoWorld a month before that.

Assuming they stream the album again, I would think they wouldn't start playing a lot of new stuff until that happens. Plus, there was a little bit of speculation on the webcast thread that they weren't going to play anything new because of the webcast. Maybe their way of not "officially" putting anything new out there themselves (as opposed to tapers at other shows).

I don't know. I'm seeing them in June so I'm anticipating a pretty good amount of new stuff.

Right next to my seat was another guy so we started talking--this was his 25th Wilco show since 1995--and eventually he said that he had been on the second level for night one. In passing I mentioned that my wife was there now, and he immediately said, "Really? I'll switch tickets with her if you want to sit together." So Stacy and I were indeed able to sit together, and this guy's generous offer to give up his first row seat only confirmed for me that Wilco fans are the awesomest.

That's crazy!

I figured they didn't play any new stuff because of the webcast, and because they haven't rehearsed the new material yet. I was a bit disappointed, because I remember attending shows months before AGIB and SBS dropped and I heard 5 or 6 new songs. And it was a bit weird that they played stuff like "Box Full of Letters" twice. But most of the repeats were songs they play every night ("Impossible Germany", "I'm the Man", etc.) And I never thought I'd ever hear "Shouldn't Be Ashamed" -- that was a real highlight.

Overall the setlist was better the second night, although I think Tweedy was a little more into it the first night. A really fun two shows, and a lot of it has to do with the great venue.

Both nights were fantastic, even though Night 1 felt standard-issue. The setlist for Night 2 was closer to my heart, especially "Jar," "Ashamed," "Misunderstood," and "Red-Eyed/Got You." Glad I was able to catch both shows. As for the talkers, it wasn't a problem for me either night. My sections seemed to be filled with great fans and great listeners.

One cool thing worth mentioning: My wife was only able to go Wednesday, and our seats weren't together (that's not what was cool). She was on the second level and I was on the third, so we hung out together during the opener and then went to find our seats. Right next to my seat was another guy so we started talking--this was his 25th Wilco show since 1995--and eventually he said that he had been on the second level for night one. In passing I mentioned that my wife was there now, and he immediately said, "Really? I'll switch tickets with her if you want to sit together." So Stacy and I were indeed able to sit together, and this guy's generous offer to give up his first row seat only confirmed for me that Wilco fans are the awesomest.

My wife and I didn't have tickets together either, we had one on the third and one on the first. We ended up trading and sitting up on the third floor. Was a great show, but I think everyone had up there was nervous from the height cause everyone was sitting down. I think that was the first show I sat down for the majority of.

I noticed yesterday that the front scrolling marquee on the #15 city bus that passes on Water Street sometimes displays "VIA CHICAGO." That would have been a perfect photo with the Pabst in the background, but obviously you'd need a dedicated photographer with a bus schedule. (Or an accommodating bus driver.)

Here are some photos I took yesterday. More will be up later.

3447065081_4a3e355523.jpg

3447876466_293645307a.jpg

3447060037_52c1cd6393.jpg

(start of fashion show)

3447873772_260e1311f7.jpg

You could be in pictures

By Kathy Flanigan of the Journal Sentinel

Apr. 15, 2009

In town for their second sold-out concert, Wilco has invited fans to a 5 p.m. photo shoot for an upcoming CD booklet. It's at the Pabst Theater.

That's at 144 E. Wells St., just in case your ticket stub isn't handy.

The guys won't be there. They did a separate shoot this afternoon on Old World Third Street outside Mader's and in the Historic Turner Hall parking lot.

And they brought a camel.

That's according to eye witness Melinda Caughill, whose office is on West Highland Avenue. She would have been more excited -- if she knew who the band was.

First she asked about the camel. They told her it was for an album cover for a band. They being three members of the band she found out later. Give Melinda a break. She has a toddler and spends more time listening to Bob the Builder than she does music.

She watched for a while and the band donned crazy party hats. Well, not the camel. But the camel's trainer was tricked out in a black suit studded with rhinestones. Caughill compared it to Elvis. She grabbed some photos because it's not every day a famous band hangs out on Old World Third Street (well, there was that time the crew of "Public Enemies" staged a cook-out but that's not a band).

And just in case you didn't know, but we know that you do know this, the new Wilco CD comes out at the end of June.

My only disappointment was the number of repeated songs from the night before. C'mon guys, you have a huge catalogue, why even repeat a single song, much less the majority of the night before?

I agree. The extent of the overlap between Night 1 and Night 2 was really surprising.

To me, it sounded like the band was playing a "safer" set the second night. It seemed as if they were really concentrating on making it a technically clean performance, maybe because they knew it was being webcast?

The Brewers mitt logo IS great.

And I probably saw it 10,000 times before I realized the mitt was made of an "M" and

a "B" for Milwaukee Brewers.

i've seen the band three times, and last night was the best yet. "She's a Jar" was my favorite thing I've ever seen.

Also, did Jeff really tell that guy early in the show to "shut the fuck up?"

All in all, worth the 11-12 hours of driving I did. Didn't get in bed to 6am.

PS.

Winston Legthigh, the direction you gave me on how to survive Chicago rush hour probably saved my life. I-294 was mostly clear, until it hooked back up with I-94, when I got stuck for about half an hour. Had I taken I-94 the whole way like I orginally planned, I probably would have missed the whole show. Thanks again!

I noticed yesterday that the front scrolling marquee on the #15 city bus that passes on Water Street sometimes displays "VIA CHICAGO." That would have been a perfect photo with the Pabst in the background, but obviously you'd need a dedicated photographer with a bus schedule. (Or an accommodating bus driver.)

Here are some photos I took yesterday. More will be up later.

3447065081_4a3e355523.jpg

Thanks for the pics, the one with Nels is great. Not to be a building nerd, but do you know what the other building is in this pic? I really need to get back to Milwaukee some day.

Soundboard setlist below... only skipped over Airline, and concerning the new material, I just don't think they are ready to let the cat out of the bag yet.... or perhaps they just wanted to get back to playing some of their staples after being bombarded in the studio with all the new material. Either way both phenomenal shows. Highlight of the few days was coming out of lunch with my gf at Mader's yesterday. I notice a huge 10 foot camel in the alley, thinking they are filming a commercial or something, and look down to see my favorite band is taking pictures in the alley with this monstrous animal. I went to the car and grabbed my poster and camera and walked over there just as the fellas were wrapping up and heading into the Turner restaurant. I was able to talk to John for a few quick minutes, he signed my poster and gave a quick hello to the other fellas as they were walking in. I didn't want to intrude too much, but felt like I had to go over and say something. UNFORTUNATELY, all of this happened so quick, and I was trying to get a new battery in and pictures erased, I was not able to get the band with the camel picture. Good times up in the MILwauKAY during the past few days... met some really good Wisconsin peeps while guzzling Spotted Cow's and cheese curds throughout the week. Lakefront Brewery tour was top notch.

wilco_pabst2.jpg