I'm a sucker for a good rock suite... those songs that have multiple, distinct parts that may or may not flow seamlessly into one another. But they were written to be a single piece. I always wanted to write one, myself (and tried, with arguable results, on the first HoP record).

Some of my favorites:

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" - CSN

"Good Vibrations" - Beach Boys

"The Sacrifice of Victor" - O(+>

"Band on the Run" - Wings

"Untitled" - P.M. Dawn

And, I'm sure that I've forgotten many. Fill in the blanks, if you will, please...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Crimson:

21st century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors)

Epitaph (Including March for No Reason and Tomorrow and Tomorrow)

Moonchild (including The Dream and The Illusion)

In the Court of the Crimson King (Including The Return of the Fire Witch and The Dance of the Puppets)

Pieholden Suite

dag, just about to post that. Big fan of that song.

Also, not sure if it is a 'pop-rock' suite but I've always been partial to Pretty Girl from Chile on Emotionalism (Avett Brothers). Definitely has multiple distinct parts.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Arkansas Coal (Suite)

Derek & the Dominoes - Layla

Elton John - Funeral for a Friend

Pieholden Suite

One of the good ones that I forgot.

Sure, they have different titles and count as different songs, but Abbey Road, side 2.

I thought of that one, but wasn't sure whether or not to consider it a single piece, so I left it off.

Yes - Close To The Edge, Starship Trooper, Yours Is No Disgrace, Gates of Delerium, etc...

God, those guys were SO good at the suite thing.

Yes - Close To The Edge, Starship Trooper, Yours Is No Disgrace, Gates of Delerium, etc...

God, those guys were SO good at the suite thing.

close to the edge is the ultimate prog suite

i'd throw in supper's ready, too, which is damn close

now ... gates of delirium i don't think of the same way for some reason ... i guess it does have a few distinct sections, closing with the astounding "Soon" bit, but for some reason i don't think of it the same way as being a segmented piece of music like the others

i love relayer

The Who:

Tommy

A Quick One

Bowie: Width of a Circle

Rush has a whole bunch. By-Tor, Necromancer, 2112, etc.

This album has a coupe suites (McDonald and Giles, offshoot of King Crimson. Some say these tunes would have made up the bulk of KC's second album had they not split up):

mcdonaldgileslarge.jpg

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

I suppose Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, for that matter, can be considered a suite. Is a suite different from a concept album.

From Webster's

b (1): a 17th and 18th century instrumental musical form consisting of a series of dances in the same or related keys (2): a modern instrumental composition in several movements of different character (3): a long orchestral concert arrangement in suite form of material drawn from a longer work (as a ballet)

Plus Sonny Rollins' Freedom Suite