Time is today

Girl, I can make you feel...

Okay

No place for hidin baby

No place to run

You pull the trigger of my

Love gun, (love gun), love gun

Love gun, (love gun), love gun

No one ever wrote better opening lines than those two.

No shit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more classics:

"Ain't It Just Like The Night To Play Tricks When you're trying To Be So Quiet" (Dylan - Visions of Johanna)

"Do You Know What It's Like To Fall On The Floor, Cry Your Guts Out Till You've Got No More" (Eels - Hey Man, Now You're Really Living)

This is fun!

"I looked at myself, with my own eyes and said, 'You'd better do something'"

or

"Eight hours away from a brand-new start..."

"In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection/slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction"

:thumbup

I always thought that was a great opener too.

:lol I think even The Who wrote better lyrics than Pink Floyd, and that's saying something! It's a good song though, it works for some reason.

I think you are confused or something. Waters and Barrett are considered two of the finest in rock history, with Waters frequently mentioned along with Lennon, Hunter, Townsend and Dylan. The imagery in that lyrical snippet is outstanding.

What bands are you listening to with better lyrics than those?

I think you are confused or something. Waters and Barrett are considered two of the finest in rock history, with Waters frequently mentioned along with Lennon, Hunter, Townsend and Dylan.

I have to agree, Waters is one of the single greatest lyric writers in rock ever. I have to assume you are not a Floyd fan and have not paid attention to the lyrics.

I think you are confused or something. Waters and Barrett are considered two of the finest in rock history, with Waters frequently mentioned along with Lennon, Hunter, Townsend and Dylan. The imagery in that lyrical snippet is outstanding.

See, to me it reads like an angry young 6th former doodled it on their notebook. But, like I said - I think it's a good song when you listen to it, I just have to ignore the message behind them and just listen to the way they are sung. I've never really read anyone say that Pink Floyd were great lyricists as such, I've read them say Barrett wrote interesting/weird/original lyrics certainly, but what I've read of them they focus on the music and the concepts behind the albums because that's where all the interest & originality lies.

By the way, Ian Hunter? Do people always mention him alongside those others? I probably miss it, cos I always switch off after they say Townsend.

1124304168_rick2.jpg

I have to agree, Waters is one of the single greatest lyric writers in rock ever. I have to assume you are not a Floyd fan and have not paid attention to the lyrics.

I quite like them actually. But, I feel that it's definately best not to pay attention to the lyrics, otherwise I think I'd like them a bit less.

Question to both of you: If they are such great lyricists, then why doesn't anybody ever cover their songs?

Question to both of you: If they are such great lyricists, then why doesn't anybody ever cover their songs?

that seems like an odd correlation to make.

there are plenty of often-covered songs w/ crap lyrics.

and yes, I'd say that Floyd are almost always revered when it comes to lyrics. seriously, i can't believe it's in question.

The first silver jews album I ever heard opens with: where's the paper bag that holds the liquor, just in case I feel the need to puke.

Love at first line.

That being said, I don't think that anyone has topped John's "she's not a girl who misses much" from earlier in the thread.

that seems like an odd correlation to make.

there are plenty of often-covered songs w/ crap lyrics.

and yes, I'd say that Floyd are almost always revered when it comes to lyrics. seriously, i can't believe it's in question.

ok - i've just always heard the opposite from everyone i know. 'pink floyd lyrics are for angry grammar-school 6th-formers, the who's lyrics are laughable, and the jim morrison shouldn't sing his poetry' - those three comments normally come together as a group. so i guess i'm hanging around with the bad crowd.

While digesting Reader's Digest

In the back of a dirty book store,

A plastic flag, with gum on the back,

Fell out on the floor.

Well, I picked it up and I ran outside

Slapped it on my window shield,

And if I could see old Betsy Ross

I'd tell her how good I feel.

- John Prine "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore"

i'm no fan of the _The Wall_ but the previous work, i think, is pretty spotless. take "shine on," that's an incredible paean to a lost band member. if you want me to cherry pick some favorites for yr scrutiny i certainly can.

btw, Qui covered "Echoes." :D

no, it's alright. unless you're desperate to do so.

ok - i've just always heard the opposite from everyone i know. 'pink floyd lyrics are for angry grammar-school 6th-formers, the who's lyrics are laughable, and the jim morrison shouldn't sing his poetry' - those three comments normally come together as a group. so i guess i'm hanging around with the bad crowd.

Sounds like they are getting Pink Floyd confused with Portishead.