Sonic Youth. Advice needed.

St. Louis July 17. For free! Under the arch! I might head out for it :dancing

From STL's Riverfront Times:

:dancing , another trip down to the in-laws. A couple of years ago the wife saw an Ani DiFranco show that was part of this series; she enjoyed the set up the city/county puts up for these shows.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, any idea what that is going to cost, and where you get it?

On another note, I just learned that:

Teenage riot is about J. Mascis (among other things).

Silver rocket is about Andy Warhol

The Sprawl is about shopping/commercialization of everything

Cross the Breeze is about having sex with the devil

Daydream nation just gets better with every listen.

where did you learn all this?

I'm about 80 pages into Alec Foege's biography of SY's early days, Confusion Is Next. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I've heard the other SY biography is better, but I'll need to special order it from the library, so I figured I'd start with this one. Stearns is pretty obviously a SY fanboy, but once you get past that, his book about Daydream Nation is pretty good. It helped me to figure out why I tend to like Lee's songwriting best--he admits he's been pretty heavily influenced by Raymond Carver and Richard Ford, two writers who I love.

I'm about 80 pages into Alec Foege's biography of SY's early days, Confusion Is Next. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I've heard the other SY biography is better, but I'll need to special order it from the library, so I figured I'd start with this one. Stearns is pretty obviously a SY fanboy, but once you get past that, his book about Daydream Nation is pretty good. It helped me to figure out why I tend to like Lee's songwriting best--he admits he's been pretty heavily influenced by Raymond Carver and Richard Ford, two writers who I love.

Yep, he was reading a ton of Raymond Carver during the recording of Daydream Nation. It's interesting that Carver actually died during the recording of the album. I will have to check out the "Confusion is next" book.

A friend sent a text to me a few weeks back declaring the new Sonic Youth album to be the "best one ever." I replied back, told him to shut the fuck up and spin Daydream Nation or Bad Moon Rising a few times until he got his head straight.

The St. Louie freebie looks cool and Awesome Color is a really good live band too. Nice choice for openers.

• 2 weeks later...

My pre-ordered CD and vinyl came yesterday. The album sounds great! I only listened to the stream once because I wasn't crazy about the sound quality, but the album is as good as I remember it being. Definitely better than most if not all of the 2000s output (I do have a soft spot for Sonic Nurse, though). I think my favorites after the first few listens are Antenna and What We Know.

It took me over two months to get the last buy early, get now from Matador. I finally got Pavement's BTS in February after many evil/nasty emails and much crap from Matador. Hopefully, it will be here on time!

• 2 years later...