Theoretical physics can prove a lot of things that would not happen in the real world. I don't want to get into an assassination debate but Arlen Spector is the poster child for what is wrong with DC and I will personally never excuse his actions in relation to JFK's assassination investigation. I bet we don't get a statement of congratulations from Ted Kennedy. And the democrats should have let him swing as he would have been easily beaten in 2010 running as an independent or republican. But feel free to take the popular point of view put forth by our corporate media on Spector joining the dems. They have been right on so many other issues.

Well, I

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
The worst part about this argument is that I have to scroll down a whole heck of a long time to read the newest entry. That is all I can contribute nowadays.

newpost.gif

Wasn't there a band called Single Bullet Theory?

And I said earlier, I did not want to debate assasination theories.

yet you keep replying and commenting. :stunned

i say Welcome Sen. Specter! If it is for political merely trying to get re-elected reasons or deep rooted beliefs, Specter is a solid moderate and I think the Senate would lose a very good senator if Specter were defeated in 2010 regardless of which party he is affiliated with. He reminds me of John Warner (R Va.) (although I am a much bigger fan of John Warner) and I've been a card carrying democrat since I was 18 and these are republicans I speak of. Of course the Democratic party will welcome someone new into the ranks. It puts us at 60 and strengthens even more the argument that Americans are tired of the extreme right of the republicans and want the country to continue in the new direction this administration is taking us in. what a breath of fresh air this has all been!

and who knows, maybe this will help push for a cease on the fruitless and pointless lawsuits of Coleman to get Franken seated. That has already moved beyond absurdity. Anyone remember a little over 8 years ago when there was an election that was so close we had to have a recount in FL? Yet, funny, the Supreme Court thought it necessary to stop the recount and resolve the election results as quickly as possible. Just saying.

If the roles were reversed then all these phony liberals would be screaming bloody murder.

...and the Republicans would be welcoming their new colleague in exactly the same manner as the Democrats. You don't really have a point here.

It's the pinnacle of hilarity that you seem to base your entire condemnation of Specter on a controversial commission report from forty-five years ago. I've not seen any mention of his Senate career in any of your screeds.

As for the rubber-stamp Congress you keep alluding to, I'd say the lesson was learned -- namely, that rubber-stamping Bush's agenda was the wrong path to take. The practical antidote to that is to scrap the Bush agenda and try the Obama agenda -- which isn't perfect by any means, but which represents a vast improvement. The Democrats, however, have already proven that they're no rubber stamp for Obama. Take a look at the watering down of Obama's proposals, coming from Democrats, that's occurred since his inauguration -- this Congress clearly isn't going to give him the unquestioning support they gave Bush, even with Democrats in charge.

That's a fundamental difference between today's Republicans, who stand for nothing except ideological purity, and today's Democrats, who may be deeply flawed as a party (to the extent that I cannot claim to be one of them) but who still retain enough independence and diversity of thought that differences of opinion are merely par for the course, rather than cause for shunning.

"Hypocrisy in technicolor" would be a good subtitle for the Republican platform, but your attempt to apply it to the Democrats simply because they have the audacity to welcome a new convert is nothing short of hilarious. I see in you strains of the same demand for ideological purity that currently cripples the GOP and will continue to marginalize their entire party for the foreseeable future.

Arlen Specter on March 15:

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers.

Wow one person gets it. The point is it should not take one party controlling all branches of govt. to get bills passed but that's exactly what happened under Bush and now the same thing will happen under Obama. But thanks for the typical close minded hateful responses that completely misses the entire point. It's frightening people can't see the danger in this regardless of political affiliation.

Ok I still don't get how this...

So the guy who concocted the "magic bullet" theory and helped whitewash the JFK assassination is now welcomed with open arms into the Democratic party? I guess I have seen it all. It seems the public has not learned the lessons of a rubber stamp congress from Bush's presidency. The hypocrisy of the Democratic party is astounding.

Should lead to this....

Wow one person gets it. The point is it should not take one party controlling all branches of govt. to get bills passed but that's exactly what happened under Bush and now the same thing will happen under Obama. But thanks for the typical close minded hateful responses that completely misses the entire point. It's frightening people can't see the danger in this regardless of political affiliation.

Because of this...

Wouldn't the April 15ht statement on its own have sufficed? Why the April 15th statement leads to the democratic party being the hypocites still eludes me also. I'm a little slow ont he up keep. Too much liberal secondary education I guess.

The point is it should not take one party controlling all branches of govt. to get bills passed but that's exactly what happened under Bush and now the same thing will happen under Obama.

You'd prefer that nothing passes?

But thanks for the typical close minded hateful responses that completely misses the entire point.

:rotfl

Please point out the "hateful responses." The most hateful thing I've read in this thread is your use of the word "hypocrisy."

It's frightening people can't see the danger in this regardless of political affiliation.

Pendulums swing. Currently it's swinging decisively to the left, for the first time in a long time. As much as anything, it represents a chance to undo the damage that was done under GW Bush. But of course, it won't be that easy, as I previously pointed out -- because the Democrats aren't in lockstep like the "ideologically pure" Republicans.

I just posted that because it shows how obviously this move was a political one, and not one done for the benefit of anything other than his chances to get elected.

I heard him on the telly this morning saying that he didn't want all his years of work in the senate to be determined and probably ended by a republican primary race that he would lose.

i second what cryptique said!

where was all the bitching and moaning about a 2 party system for the past 8 years and the complaints about a rubber stamp. end of the day, dems are the majority by a decisive margin in the last election. the republicans had their chance and let's look around and see where it got us: torture, the invasion of a sovereign nation, the collapse of our financial system, illegal wiretaps...*sigh* oh wait, you know what, it doesn't actually matter how sad or pissed or crying foul the right is, you are not in the majority anymore, america has sent a message about that in the past few elections, we're done with that game. the dems haven't given Obama a rubber stamp yet (as it keeps getting pointed out). if Senator Specter wants to change parties to keep his job, so be it. we'll take him. it's not the first time someone's played politics up here in Washington, won't be the last, and does it really matter which side of the isle he is on or why he switched sides? i don't recall any bitching and moaning when Lieberman campaigned for McCain. and look at us good ol' sweet dems, we welcomed that turn coat back with open arms. if anyone thinks things happen in washington solely based on ideals, they're dreaming. it is all about politics here.

and what's wrong with utopian dreams. i think it is a lot better than taking us back into the dark ages. best to reach for the moon, if you don't make it you'll end up amongst the stars.

and what's wrong with utopian dreams. i think it is a lot better than taking us back into the dark ages. best to reach for the moon, if you don't make it you'll end up amongst the stars.

For the sake of scientific accuracy - the nearest star is located light years beyond the moon. Near the moon would probably land you in some sort of earth junk strewn debris field.

Edit

For the sake of scientific accuracy - the nearest star is located light years beyond the moon. Near the moon would probably land you in some sort of earth junk strewn debris field.

Actually, for the sake of real scientific accuracy, the nearest star is eight light-minutes away. ;)

You'd prefer that nothing passes?

Yes.

C.S. Lewis:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

I just posted that because it shows how obviously this move was a political one, and not one done for the benefit of anything other than his chances to get elected.

I knew this and mos people who have followed the Specter saga for the past couple years know this also.

Actually, for the sake of real scientific accuracy, the nearest star is eight light-minutes away. ;)

You people and your science. Bah.

"The sun, at a distance of about 92 million miles, is the closest star to Earth. After the sun, the closest stars are the members of the triple star system known as Alpha Centauri (Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B, and Alpha Centauri C, sometimes called Proxima Centauri). They are 4.3 light-years away. (A light-year is the distance light travels in one year, about 5.9 trillion miles.)"

that was a paraphrase from a quote by Les Brown and ehhem, you can also overshoot something when you aim, then you actually would land among the stars. if you wanna get technical. :stunned

that was a paraphrase from a quote by Les Brown and ehhem, you can also overshoot something when you aim, then you actually would land among the stars. if you wanna get technical. :stunned

For the sake of syntactical accuracy, that bolded word should be could. :dancing