Wilco ex-member sues frontman Tweedy

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think there was a way of dealing with being kicked out of this band overall in the past 8 years that could have been better. I think the slagging in the press, no matter the truth and now this lawsuit are just the wrong moves to have made.

Like I said, if the unpaid royalties thing is 100% legitimate, I do not understand suing Jeff directly. I like Jay a lot, but this doesn't make much sense. I'm not a lawyer and I don't claim to know shit about shit, but if someone was supposed to dole out royalties it wouldn't be the co-songwriter. Plus, the idea that Jeff was a producer on "IATTBYH" is perplexing as well.

Whatever I was planning to do to help is probably going to be adversely affected by this as now people close to both parties will have to, perhaps, choose a side. Plus, forget about extending any sort of an olive branch to Jeff and the other Wilco guys in lieu of this. The only thing I can see maybe still happening is that, should the band be inducted into the R'nR HoF in 11+ years, Jay gets invited to show up and be onstage with them.

I'm nauseous about this whole thing. Truly.

How about the other way around? That works even better.

I think, to use a gambling term, it's a push.

I think they both benefited from each other extremely. But that relationship obviously ran its course.

The timing is starnge but before everyone goes bad mouthing Jay I think it needs to be stated Wilco would not be who they were without Jay. That being said it would have been nice not to file a lawsuit and instead ask for a benefit concert but oh well.. If he was getting screwed he definatley should have brought this up years ago but I have no idea what the details and deals that were going on between Jay and Jeff.

Good point about Jay helping put Wilco to the level they are now.

I doubt Jay asked for a benefit concert, but we don't KNOW that.

Jay's an easy target, but I just have a gut feeling that Jay has SOMETHING that's valid. It seems I remember hearing/reading years ago that he didn't feel he was compensated fully for all his work in Wilco. Jay's pride, and belief that he could earn money on his own, probably is the reason he never got serious about getting money from Jeff/Wilco.

Obviously, the hip surgery has made Jay desparate. But I don't think Jay would drop this big of a bomb without having actual facts to back his claim.

This has nothing to do with the legality of everything, but in hindsight, I can now appreciate all the Jay did to contribute to Wilco and its sound and its great music. Jay's lawsuit will make it ugly and Tony and Jeff will probably do all they can to NOT have to pay Jay. But I'd love for Jay to get the chunk of money. It seems deserved somehow.

Good point about Jay helping put Wilco to the level they are now.

I doubt Jay asked for a benefit concert, but we don't KNOW that.

Jay's an easy target, but I just have a gut feeling that Jay has SOMETHING that's valid. It seems I remember hearing/reading years ago that he didn't feel he was compensated fully for all his work in Wilco. Jay's pride, and belief that he could earn money on his own, probably is the reason he never got serious about getting money from Jeff/Wilco.

Obviously, the hip surgery has made Jay desparate. But I don't think Jay would drop this big of a bomb without having actual facts to back his claim.

This has nothing to do with the legality of everything, but in hindsight, I can now appreciate all the Jay did to contribute to Wilco and its sound and its great music. Jay's lawsuit will make it ugly and Tony and Jeff will probably do all they can to NOT have to pay Jay. But I'd love for Jay to get the chunk of money. It seems deserved somehow.

I actually see this thing getting settled rather quickly.

And while Jay was, of course, an integral part of the band during those years, why does everyone feel the need to go to extremes when describing his contributions to Wilco?

I actually see this thing getting settled rather quickly.

And while Jay was, of course, an integral part of the band during those years, why does everyone feel the need to go to extremes when describing his contributions to Wilco?

werd... claiming he was as important to Wilco as Wilco was to him is absurd.

Don't you all realize the implications of Jay claiming that Tweedy was the producer of IATTBYH is direct proof that the entire Warner debacle along with the documentary were a big scam to gain publicity and draw attention to the band. All of this of course spearheaded by mr. Tweedy. And then when the dust settles the sweet irony of Warner buying YHF back. This is crazy. The strings are unraveling. I'm not sure if i'm serious about this?

How do you know this?

Probably true, but irrelevant.

Also true, but how do you know that Jay did sign off somewhere?

Maybe he thinks he farts cotton candy.

How do you know this?

Also probably true, but irrelevant.

Thanks for attacking every sentence of my post. It doesn't make you look like a lunatic or anything.

Don't you all realize the implications of Jay claiming that Tweedy was the producer of IATTBYH is direct proof that the entire Warner debacle along with the documentary were a big scam to gain publicity and draw attention to the band. All of this of course spearheaded by mr. Tweedy. And then when the dust settles the sweet irony of Warner buying YHF back. This is crazy. The strings are unraveling. I'm not sure if i'm serious about this?

I've never heard of anything making less sense than this.

Wait until the resident conspiracy theorists get a hold of this one.

Actually, I think he let about four sentences go. But his on-base percentage is good.

I was just spouting opinion, just like the rest of you. No reason to attack my opinion and call it "irrelevant"

If that were the case then the entire thread should be closed with the heading.."No Speculation Allowed"

I don't think any of us know what EXACTLY happened, so arguing over someone's thoughts on it seems "irrelevant"

If that were the case then the entire thread should be closed with the heading.."No Speculation Allowed"

First call for thread closure!

When Jay left the band, I wasn't bothered much by it. I liked Jay, but always felt it was Jeff's band. And Jeff validated my thoughts of him by making strong contributions to Loose Fur records, getting a new Wilco lineup together and putting together an under-rated gem in AGIB, along with Wilco Book.

But hearing Sky Blue Sky and some of the new songs, I can hear what it was that Jay added to the band. Jeff's still great, but in my opinion, Jeff with Jay's assistance was greater.

A.M. was a pretty great record, but Being There is where Wilco really took off. And it's hard to not think that Jay contributed greatly to it's sound. Summerteeth and YHF have Bennett all over it. Most would agree that those 2 records rank at or near the top of Wilco records. And Jay's Mermaid Avenue contributions were also solid.

I don't put Jay at the same artistic level as Jeff, but they complimented each other very well.

Guest Speed Racer

My first reaction upon hearing about the suit was, "crazy-ass, dreadlocked, hip-replacin', money-grubbing, ungrateful fruitcake!" But now, though all of that may yet be true, I believe I would probably do the exact same thing in his situation.

He's short on cash, he's in a ton of pain, and needs money for a medical procedure; he's not exactly bringing in the benjamins out there on his own, nor is he in any shape to do so now. If he has in fact been slighted by these contracts, why the hell shouldn't he leave this stone un-turned?

We don't know if he didn't try to contact Tony or Wilco's attorneys first, but that's not important is it? If he is legally allowed to do something to get something he may be legally entitled to, who on earth are we to judge him for doing so?

I'm in a very comfy financial situation, but I don't doubt for a second that if I weren't, I would be stuffing my hands between the cushion of every couch in sight.

Thanks for attacking every sentence of my post. It doesn't make you look like a lunatic or anything.

Thanks for answering my questions.

I was just spouting opinion, just like the rest of you. No reason to attack my opinion and call it "irrelevant"

I don't think any of us know what EXACTLY happened, so arguing over someone's thoughts on it seems "irrelevant"

Opinions and speculation generally should be based on something (besides liking one guy better than another).

I didn't call your opinions irrelevant, I only suggested that the facts that Jeff did not personally write the DVD contract, and that Jeff is not stealing checks intended for Jay, are irrelevant to both Jay's lawsuit and this discussion.