Obama requests an extra $2 billion for NASA

Obama requests an extra $2 billion for NASA

The Obama administration asked for an extra $2 billion for NASA missions Thursday, aiming for an $18.7 billion budget next year aimed at finishing the International Space Station, exploring Earth and its neighbors and continue aeronautics research. The space agency will partner with Europe on Mars missions later in 2016, 2018 and 2020, contemplated sample return missions, says NASA's Ed Weiler.

By Dan Vergano

Photo: NASA Acting Administrator Chris Scolese, left, and NASA Comptroller David Schurr prepare for the NASA fiscal year 2010 Budget Briefing at NASA Headquarters, Thursday, May 7, 2009, in Washington. (AP Photo/Bill Ingalls, NASA)

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sciencefair/2009...n-for-nasa.html

additional link

looks like the focus is to shift more resources into Earth Science (not walking on the moon, that was Bush's goal for NASA).

somewhere out in the great internet, there's a website that shows all of the science NASA has developed and how it has translated into everyday stuff. i'll have to track that down or see if my NASA friends have it handy.

Gonna take a lot more than $2B to get dudes (and ladies, I hope) back on the moon.

Gonna take a lot more than $2B to get dudes (and ladies, I hope) back on the moon.

They won't be going back to the moon. Mars, now that could be something. :)

I find it fascinating how NASA's science shifts from election to election based on the whims of the Commander in Chief. Under Clinton it was the ISS, under Bush, spy satellites, debunking Global Warming, and going back to the Moon (just to do it not for any scientific progress); and now it looks like with Obama to put more focus on the environment and earth itself. It is a wonder NASA makes any scientific advancements the way they are constantly changing their focus every 4 years.

Why is NASA not working on warp drive or, failing that, giant starships that can sustain a a small breeding population for the centuries it would take them to reach other habitable worlds? WHERE IS THE LONG-TERM VISION?!?!?!?

Were gonna have to leave earth eventually.

Outer space is fun for a time, but it's honestly not all that. :stunned

They won't be going back to the moon. Mars, now that could be something. :)

Theres no way in hell the would just plan a mission to mars, without several prior trips to the moon. All the plans I saw under Bush's watch included some sort of "halfway" base to be built on the moon.

In any case, I think any of that is incredibly unlikely in any of our lifetimes.

Outer space is fun for a time, but it's honestly not all that. :stunned

I think the space we've been too is a bit different :pirate

Good idea to spend money on space stations when our economy is falling apart.

It's not like they were going to do anything to fix the economy anyway. I'd rather see 2 billion thrown at NASA then war or bailing out criminals with executive offices..

Good idea to spend money on space stations when our economy is falling apart.

Well, maybe we could just print up some Ameros and make each one worth like, a bajillion (formerly known as) dollars?

hahahaha... thats a funny one.

Budget deficit forecast just went up by $89 Billion this year. Hmmm... I guess 2 billion is a just a blip anyways.

you haven't been paying attention to the markets. We're past the bottom. It's going to be a slow recovery, but we're not sinking anymore.

you haven't been paying attention to the markets. We're past the bottom. It's going to be a slow recovery, but we're not sinking anymore.

I guess if you see things in a short term perspective. Anyone can borrow money and say things will be good for awhile and it will be, but the day will come when the money is due.

What about our massively growing national debt and budget deficit?

I guess if you see things in a short term perspective. Anyone can borrow money and say things will be good for awhile and it will be, but the day will come when the money is due.

What about our massively growing national debt and budget deficit?

well, in the long term, the earth will eventually be swallowed by the sun, so how far out do you want me to go?

I'm just saying that the free-fall is over. We'll probably have modest gains for a month or two, then it will flatten out with a slow gain over the next two years.