VGC vinyl doesn't cost $5, it costs more like $10-$13, which is an awful lot like what new re-issues are going for, which means that Mr. Old Fogey is likely to pick up a few old Cream/Clapton vinyls while he's buying a refridgerator, or video games for his obnoxious son.

wow, really? That sucks. You can get near perfect vinyl all day long in Atlanta for $5 (give or take a buck or two).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna throw in some support for the random, dollar bin findings being THE way to collect vinyl. I've gotten many such records recently, and they all play fine through my less-than-great record player. I guess it all depends.

To me, new vinyl is just too expensive to buy regularly. In fact, I've only bought one new vinyl record since I've started collecting, and that was "Hey Venus!" by Super Furry Animals at a concert last year. I can't see myself going to Best Buy anytime something new comes out, but I'm sure there will be people to do so, and I also won't be surprised if every once in a while I find something rare-ish or otherwise worthwhile at Best Buy. They tend to be good for that. More often than not, they stock the standard CDs, but sometimes you go in there and find something that makes it worth continually checking. I found my CD copy of Gruff Rhys' "Yr Atal Genhedlaeth" at a Best Buy last year. That was a happy day.

Good vinyl is supposed to pop/crack/hiss, yes, and also go, "strange brew/killin' what's inside of you," not, "stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra/stra." I don't know anyone that embraces the latter. In my experience, the $5 used bins (the price you quote in your previous post) end up skipping like crazy.

It depends on what record it is. If it something really common, its usually not hard to find for cheap. I just picked up a copy of Born In The USA for $5, and it was mint, You do have to dig around for it though.

SpeedRacer, if you are buying vinyl that skips the way you describe you should return it. Even if it's $5. I have always been happy with my $5 vinyl. It is very possible that places are just re-selling vinyl that they bought in bulk and havent listened to it.

I'd bet if you brought it back to where you bought it, they'd take it back. I dont think stores mark their vinyl down because it skips to the point that it is unlistenable. Vinyl like that shouldn't be sold for any amt of money.

Guest Speed Racer
My standard limit on used vinyl is $6.99 and pretty much everything I buy is devoid of skips.

And if you stopped buying so many of them, maybe there would be more for me.

I buy everything on vinyl. I don't remember the last time I downloaded or bought a cd.

I think best buy selling them will bring them to a larger audience, and will get more people hooked. I think it will also make more labels willing to press albums on vinyl because now most markets have a place to sell them.

It could be bad for indie stores, but I wont be shopping any less at my local ones, but maybe instead of ordering online I would take a look at best buy first.

SpeedRacer, if you are buying vinyl that skips the way you describe you should return it. Even if it's $5. I have always been happy with my $5 vinyl. It is very possible that places are just re-selling vinyl that they bought in bulk and havent listened to it.

Excessive skipping might be a turntable problem, and not a record problem.

Which reminds me - I've noticed my record player ( this one ) is suddenly playing records a bit faster than it used to. All of them. Nothing in the manual mentions this...any idears, short of a glass over the middle of the record or pennies on the arm?

blaming the victim, nice!

No, in all seriousness this is true. Your tone arm may need adjustment, most likely not weighted down enough. If your skipping occurs during louder parts of songs, that is defintely tone arm issues. If it skips during softer parts that is likely a scratched record. Over time you will just get good at spotting in the store which scratches will cause major issues and which will cause the ambience of listening to vinyl with hisses and pops.

Guest Speed Racer

Nah, I thought that at first, but was able to see imperfections on the records that skipped, implying it was the product itself; never had an issue with most of my used records, and none of my new records. I've gotten much better about buying vinyl than I was when I first got into it, but a lot of the used stuff from my early days has some gnarly imperfections.

And, back to the original point, someone in my position has three options:

* Get out of vinyl;

* Get more into used vinyl, and learn how to spot imperfections better;

* Pony up and buy new...maybe even at Best Buy?

Which reminds me - I've noticed my record player ( this one ) is suddenly playing records a bit faster than it used to. All of them. Nothing in the manual mentions this...any idears, short of a glass over the middle of the record or pennies on the arm?

pennies on the tone arm will not have any impact on speed of the record, like I stated just above, the penny (or in my case nickel) on the tone arm provides weight and prevent hopping of the needle. Now in your situation I can say that is a new one. Sometimes when belts are about to go, the turntable will struggle to get to appropriate speed, but going faster than needed is a new one to me. Are you sure your not taking a stimulant?

buying vinyl on ebay is not good. You get want you want, and sometimes a decent deal, but the experience and excitement is no where the same. I reserve ebay for stuff that I just am having no luck finding anywhere. Coincidently analogman, T Rex Electric Warrior was one that I broke down and got on ebay. I swear after I did that I saw it at least a half dozen times in the following year. Record collecting is like that. You search for years, finally get it, and then you see it all the time.

I am mainly just want to finish my Hendrix collection some day. I think the last new album I bought was Vitalogy (Pearl Jam).

Electric Warrior was the first T Rex album I ever bought - sometimes in the early 1980s, by way of Camelot Music at the mall where I am from.

pennies on the tone arm will not have any impact on speed of the record, like I stated just above, the penny (or in my case nickel) on the tone arm provides weight and prevent hopping of the needle. Now in your situation I can say that is a new one. Sometimes when belts are about to go, the turntable will struggle to get to appropriate speed, but going faster than needed is a new one to me. Are you sure your not taking a stimulant?

But, it's only 4 years old. And yes, of course I'm taking a stimulant! I guess an upturned glass over the middle is my solution...

I am mainly just want to finish my Hendrix collection some day.

I've been working on this since 1989. I don't think I'll ever achieve it. I'm probably closer to finishing Miles or Dylan (both of whom have some serious garbage in their catalog).

But, it's only 4 years old. And yes, of course I'm taking a stimulant! I guess an upturned glass over the middle is my solution...

One of the reviews from the link you posted said there are adjustment screws underneath. Don't know if that helps really?

unfortunatley, the 4 years old issue doesn't put you out of the woods for problems. I have three turntables a 1970 Zenith turntable/eight track and a 2003 Sony Turntable and another USB turntable model I got for xmas. Now my Zenith has issues, but it is a monster and i'm amazed how durable and nice it is. My Sony was the second of the same model I've gone through. My experience with 1-300 dollar new turntables is you'll get 5 years if your lucky (if you play them alot). they just don't make em how they use to. Now I can't speak for the high dollar items out there now, because I'm mostly ok with spending 160 bucks on a Sony every 5 years, until I'm unemployed, then I will cry a lot.

I am mainly just want to finish my Hendrix collection some day. I think the last new album I bought was Vitalogy (Pearl Jam).

Electric Warrior was the first T Rex album I ever bought - sometimes in the early 1980s, by way of Camelot Music at the mall where I am from.

I bought Tyrannasouras Rex A Beard of Stars for 3 bucks back in 2001. Crazy album, crazy find at an antique mall.

I think I posted what I need in some Hendrix thread around here at some point. I have not really thought about it in a while.

What cracks me up is when people buy records and digitize them, and then make Mp3 files out of that, to put on their iPod. I guess I can see doing that if something is out of print, but if something is in print, or brand new, why go to all that trouble when you could just buy or obtain the Mp3 files elsewhere.

unfortunatley, the 4 years old issue doesn't put you out of the woods for problems. I have three turntables a 1970 Zenith turntable/eight track and a 2003 Sony Turntable and another USB turntable model I got for xmas. Now my Zenith has issues, but it is a monster and i'm amazed how durable and nice it is. My Sony was the second of the same model I've gone through. My experience with 1-300 dollar new turntables is you'll get 5 years if your lucky (if you play them alot). they just don't make em how they use to. Now I can't speak for the high dollar items out there now, because I'm mostly ok with spending 160 bucks on a Sony every 5 years, until I'm unemployed, then I will cry a lot.

I bought Tyrannasouras Rex A Beard of Stars for 3 bucks back in 2001. Crazy album, crazy find at an antique mall.

That is about the same way I got the copy I have. The one I got is on the Blue Thumb label.

Best Buy selling vinyl (which actually they have been doing on a more limited scale for some time) is nothing but bad news for the indie record stores.

I would love to think that this is a full scale resurgence of vinyl but this too shall pass. Best Buy will sell whatever will sell. Having run out the smaller stores that sold CDs now they can run the last of the smaller stores that kept vinyl in stock out of business too.

The moral of the story...don't buy vinyl at Best Buy if you have an alternative.

LouieB

I can't tell if this is good or bad. The smaller record stores will probably suffer some.

Maybe I'm a bad person but I don't really care for the small record stores. Every time I go into those places, they're mostly jerks, who give me the attitude that I'm not totally cool because I'm buying some Wilco or Songs: Ohia records. I go where I can get the records I want for the cheapest price, usually the internet now.

Maybe I'm a bad person but I don't really care for the small record stores. Every time I go into those places, they're mostly jerks, who give me the attitude that I'm not totally cool because I'm buying some Wilco or Songs: Ohia records. I go where I can get the records I want for the cheapest price, usually the internet now.

I still care about small record stores, but you make a good point about the folks behind the counters - for the most part, they're dickweeds. I heard a guy not long ago ask a customer if he was ready to buy and he replied "Yeah I'm all set" to which the worker said "All set? What the hell does 'all set' even mean? It means nothing." The guy just shrugged it off. I like to think I'd have just left, depending of course on what I was about to buy.