Have you considered where they will end up when you are gone? Maybe you could do this:

DJ Donates Collection

i've pretty much digitized. i got so overwhelmed with my music listening habits etc. that i've basically started over. i have kept a few cds for nostalgia's sake to show my kids...tonight's the night, sgt pepper...etc. at this point thought, if you really want the object then vinyl is the way to go. upload the mp3s to the ipod, listen and look at he gatefold. irony at its best.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont get this perception. I mean, do clerks honestly give you a hard time? I shop at a couple stores;

Vals Halla in Oak Park is one, and Val is one of the most genuinely nice people I've ever met (besides being an encyclopedia of music knowledge and a treasure trove of stories, having worked for Capital Records in the 60s). If anything shes a hair overbearing if all you want to do is browse.

Wait..........I read awhile ago that Vals was closing.......is she still around?

I cant tell you how many albums I have with her X or O on it :thumbup

Guest Speed Racer
Wait..........I read awhile ago that Vals was closing.......is she still around?

I cant tell you how many albums I have with her X or O on it :thumbup

Val had to move from the South Blvd. location to over the Ike on Harrison a few years ago; I moved from OP before I had a chance to see the new place. She was initially very hesitant about the move, and when the village tried to buy her out of her location she was quoted in the Trib as saying she wasn't that interested in moving, she'd probably just take the money, buy a lot of pot and listen to records. :lol Guess she decided Harrison wasn't all that bad.

Val had to move from the South Blvd. location to over the Ike on Harrison a few years ago; I moved from OP before I had a chance to see the new place. She was initially very hesitant about the move, and when the village tried to buy her out of her location she was quoted in the Trib as saying she wasn't that interested in moving, she'd probably just take the money, buy a lot of pot and listen to records. :lol Guess she decided Harrison wasn't all that bad.

Thats great news!

Do you know if she still does that big sale?

Guest Speed Racer
Thats great news!

Do you know if she still does that big sale?

I believe so! I was just reading something in the Oak Leaves/Wednesday Journal a few weeks back that mentioned something about that...?

I believe so! I was just reading something in the Oak Leaves/Wednesday Journal a few weeks back that mentioned something about that...?

My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out where we're going that day......heh heh!

Actually i am sorry to see the larger independent (or semi-independent) record stores disappear. There was a time when those stores met everyone's needs every day with a full selection of all kinds of records, I mean all kinds of new records rock, blues, classical, folk, etc. etc. The sad part is those days are long gone. While the smaller indie stores are nice and i can go on all day about how much I like Laurie's, you can't really find that wide a range at Lauries, or any of the stores we have mentioned. Only Ameoba on the west coast even comes close (more than close they are amazing...), but even Chicago doesn't have anything like Ameoba, but we used to have Rose Records back in the day. I have been to all the stores mentioned in the above post and Val is a nice person with a limited selection of both new and used records. Permanent is run by a bunch of nice folks, but also limited and Dusty Groove is ridiculously expensive and a bit snotty. Reckless used to be great, but is less then impressive any more and I always feel like a jerk if I don't buy something "cool" when in there. For collectors all these stores are great fun because people like us like to browse and make impulsive buys and maybe spend more than we should, but the average music consumer who wants to browse for stuff they know and maybe get recommendations that are not quirky, these stores don't really meet their needs. Remember most people don't even KNOW vinyl is still being sold*. But then again the music scene has changed so much that maybe no one really needs the larger stores anymore.

So into the breach rushes Best Buy, just so long as vinyl is still selling, after that, well.....we shall see....

LouieB

*Funny and sad story.... Recently at a family Easter get together at my house one of the brother in laws was saying to my wife (who sort of hates my vinyl collecting anyway) that I should turn all my LPs into digital files and get rid of my LPs. I mean here is a normal every day guy who doesn't know or understand any of the things we are talking about here, just plain clueless. Most people are like that because to most people music consumption is still either CDs or iPods.

because it's extremely close to my office, I've been stopping by Dave's Records on Clark. awesome shop with pretty much anything you could be looking for, and Dave is a real nice guy.

I am definitely envious of all of you for actually having record store options. Here in Fort Worth, it's either Best Buy, Half-Price Books, or a drive to Dallas. Fortunately, I'm headed to Austin soon so I can stop by Waterloo Records while I'm there.

the few indie record stores in the twin cities are very solid. i generally only go to the electric fetus but the staff there is great.

I sure was sad to hear of the end of Oar Folkjokeopus. Didn't that guy open another store in the same space, though?

the few indie record stores in the twin cities are very solid. i generally only go to the electric fetus but the staff there is great.

Yeah, I buy all my records there as well.

--Mike

I sure was sad to hear of the end of Oar Folkjokeopus. Didn't that guy open another store in the same space, though?

yeah, it's called Treehouse Records now.

they just took away 1 full row of CD's and dedicated it to more vinyl. they actually sell more vinyl than CDs now (as of last October)

I'm visiting the twin cities the end of this month so thanks for the tip. I will be checking this out (and treehouse). Maybe after treehouse I will stop in at the CC club (if it's still there) and have a beer.

I'm visiting the twin cities the end of this month so thanks for the tip. I will be checking this out (and treehouse). Maybe after treehouse I will stop in at the CC club (if it's still there) and have a beer.

check out Roadrunner Records too, they recently reduced their store size a bit, but they have a nice selection of vinyl

A local vinyl enthusiast here in Richmond who has worked at the longest-running indie store here in town recently split ways with them to open his own shop. It's a small, one-room storefront shop on a commercial corridor in the middle of a neighborhood and the kicker is that he is selling nothing but vinyl. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's not a single cd, new or used in the entire store. Furthermore, about 90% of the store's inventory is classic 60's-80's releases, mostly used, though some rereleases. I've been there twice and he seems to be doing quite well. One day when I was in there, a guy in front of me purchased $800 worth of stuff. The place is like a time machine to my youth and I hope all works out well for him.

A local vinyl enthusiast here in Richmond who has worked at the longest-running indie store here in town recently split ways with them to open his own shop. It's a small, one-room storefront shop on a commercial corridor in the middle of a neighborhood and the kicker is that he is selling nothing but vinyl. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's not a single cd, new or used in the entire store. Furthermore, about 90% of the store's inventory is classic 60's-80's releases, mostly used, though some rereleases. I've been there twice and he seems to be doing quite well. One day when I was in there, a guy in front of me purchased $800 worth of stuff. The place is like a time machine to my youth and I hope all works out well for him.

Where is this place?

Usually I go to Chapel Hill it's for the purpose of buying music I've got zero chance of getting where I live, but about a year ago I went there for other business. I walked past Schoolkids Records and about had a stroke when I realized the place was empty. They were closed permenantly after being in Chapel Hill for 30 years. There's a few other smaller shops in the area, but the CH Schoolkids was the shit around here. :hmm

Where is this place?

Yeah, ditto, I'd love to know too. Where's this joint at?

Sounds like this is one of the dudes who worked in the cellar at Plan 9 on Cary St. Of which I frequent quite often.