What happened to Wilco's edge?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Define edge. An addicted puking sick Jeff? Tense rivalry within the band, arguing about the drum in Heavy Metal Drummer? Edge seems like a generic term.

I don't think you can blame Jeff's migraines entirely on Jay Bennett. That ain't fair to do someone. Jay (the scapegoat)

The reason the music was so good with Jay is because of the tension between the two.

Tension = great music.

I'd love to see Jay back in the band

Don't like it = don't buy album.

Didn't buy album = don't complain.

Tension equals great music = total bullshit.

"Tense rivalry within the band" is often what drives great artists to challenge themselves.

then kudos to jeff for choosing happiness in his life.

i'd rather see wilco's music take a step down and jeff be happy, than the other way around.

that being said, Wilco the Album is definitely NOT a step down, it is everything I hoped it would be

pfffft; happy schmappy jangle poo doo

The whole "tension" argument is pure fanzine pap. It's something so-called rock afficianodos babble about when they can't come up with honest criticism on what's actually on the grooves. It's spin, the "tortured soul" struggling for his/her music. People can create art working through their pain, but if they're not working through their pain, it doesn't make any difference what sounds they put out, and to critique their absence as woes as not living up to your standards, that is behavior less than human. Wishing someone struggles, or throwing musicians together like bugs in a jar, and giving it a shake to have them entertain you is the sickest, silliest crap. Shame on you.

What you're gonna wanna do is g'wan over all the way to Wilco's corner, and then stop. Now, standing squarely in the corner, look directly ahead. See? Then do a full 90-degree turn to the left, and again, look straight ahead. See that one too?

Those are Wilco's edges.

Be careful, they're sharp. :)

The reason the music was so good with Jay is because of the tension between the two.

Tension = great music.

That's one hell of an assumption. I don't buy it.

honestly i don't think wilco was ever an edgy band. edge is like eminem - he says things that make people uncomfortable, he cusses a lot, etc.

wilco's music has never been about that. it's more about great song writing and poetic lyrics. i think the song writing has returned in the new album... it was notably absent on SBS.

honestly i don't think wilco was ever an edgy band. edge is like eminem - he says things that make people uncomfortable, he cusses a lot, etc.

Wow, who would have thought the guy who sleeps next to the dumpster behind our office building is edgy? Can't wait to hear his next album! :thumbup

The whole "tension" argument is pure fanzine pap. It's something so-called rock afficianodos babble about when they can't come up with honest criticism on what's actually on the grooves. It's spin, the "tortured soul" struggling for his/her music. People can create art working through their pain, but if they're not working through their pain, it doesn't make any difference what sounds they put out, and to critique their absence as woes as not living up to your standards, that is behavior less than human. Wishing someone struggles, or throwing musicians together like bugs in a jar, and giving it a shake to have them entertain you is the sickest, silliest crap. Shame on you.

I think it relates to life in general...w/o proper amounts of stress, eustress specifically, the mind/body will not perform to its ability. Sometimes negative forms of stress enable mind/body to strive beyond perceived capacity- creativity is enhanced.

equilibrium is pretty boring....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm; kind of like the droning noise on AGIB song #8 or whatever that is.

Wow, who would have thought the guy who sleeps next to the dumpster behind our office building is edgy? Can't wait to hear his next album! :thumbup

well the old eminem was edgy... the new one is kind of a little ______*.

*This has been an edit by your friendly administrative staff. Please, let's refrain from hateful language.

but my point is still valid. what song of wilco's is particularly edgy? maybe war on war, ashes of american flags... but really i don't see it. just good songs, somewhat topical, poetic and thoughtful lyrics. not really edgy. lennon was edgy because he was such an activist. he wrote songs simply to piss off the establishment (and particularly nixon). wilco is not active in that way.

I think it relates to life in general...w/o proper amounts of stress, eustress specifically, the mind/body will not perform to its ability. Sometimes negative forms of stress enable mind/body to strive beyond perceived capacity- creativity is enhanced.

equilibrium is pretty boring....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm; kind of like the droning noise on AGIB song #8 or whatever that is.

But putting a 12-minute drone in a song is the sort of thing that edgy musicians do, no?

well the old eminem was edgy... the new one is kind of a little ______*.

*This has been an edit by your friendly administrative staff. Please, let's refrain from hateful language.

but my point is still valid. what song of wilco's is particularly edgy? maybe war on war, ashes of american flags... but really i don't see it. just good songs, somewhat topical, poetic and thoughtful lyrics. not really edgy. lennon was edgy because he was such an activist. he wrote songs simply to piss off the establishment (and particularly nixon). wilco is not active in that way.

What are you 12? Who uses that word as an insult who isn't in middle school? Grow up.